Old January 28, 2001, 14:09   #1
Ralf
King

Local Time: 06:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Answer needed about sea borders
I need a short answer to a straightforward question:

I have played SMAC untill about a year ago. Im currently waiting for Civ-3, but since CTP-2 was such a disappointment, im now thinking of installing SMAC again (this time with "Alien Crossfire" added).

One thing I didnt like in SMAC was the fact that your coustal landbase borders didnt extended over the ocean as well. Constantly, AI-factions founded new ocean-bases just 2-4 squares away from your own coastal base. Extremely annoying! It has been hinted to me that this has been changed in "Alien crossfire". Is that true, or have I misunderstood it.

Does coustal landbase borders extend out over the ocean as well, in Alien crossfire?
Old January 28, 2001, 14:19   #2
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 00:02
Short answer: well.... sort of.

Slightly longer answer: Sea borders are established around only the squares *immeadiately* adjacent to the coastal land base.

Slightly more long answer: If the AI then builds a city immeadiately adjacent to that border, then squares diaganol from your base which are horizontal or vertical from the AI base, will be removed from your territory and added to theirs. Diagonal/Diagonal goes to the South-West, iirc, same as land bases.

Hope that was short enough.

[This message has been edited by big_canuk (edited January 28, 2001).]
Old January 28, 2001, 16:09   #3
Foosplayer
Settler

Local Time: 05:02
They still do that and it is very anoying.

On a similar note, in a recent game as Pirates, I had built a ring of bases around a large island. When I sent a colony pod onto the island to colonize, it wouldn't let me as supposedly the land was within a "Pact" mates border ----ahhhhhhh! This kind of stuff drives me crazy.
Old January 28, 2001, 16:59   #4
D4everman
Prince

In two recent games...

Miriam built sea cities off of my coast snatching away extremely valuable tiles.

Cha Dawn did it in another game after that.

I won't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure those tiles were within my sphere of influence with Dawn. Even if they weren't I tend to deal with it this way. I demand the base from the AI. If they don't give it to me I declare war. (and usually the AI builds these bases when its pacted with you so you will take a hit in the reputation department.)

Common sense overrides the rules of the game. If you're too close, you're too close. The US wouldn't let China build a sea bas off the coast of New Jersey would it?

D4
Old January 30, 2001, 16:16   #5
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

D4,

The US wouldn't let China build a sea bas off the coast of New Jersey would it?

Considering it IS New Jersey ...... Hmmmm

Og
Old January 30, 2001, 18:05   #6
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:02
If you have the tech, build sea lurks and release them into the wild next to the base. This kind of goes against the old rules of not feeding wild animals but if it works. This is a little trick that I picked up here on the forums. IODs will do the same I think.
Old January 30, 2001, 18:07   #7
D4everman
Prince

You might have a point Ogie....I'm from Newark, Delaware (I don't live there now, but I grew up there...ever been to the Deer Park Pub?)
and I see you're from Wilmington....Jersey's only a hop skip and a jump away....

D4
Old January 30, 2001, 21:32   #8
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

D4,

Newark Absotively!!! Deer Park mmmm Nachos!!! Klondikes and Stone Balloon!!!

I'm getting thirsty just thinkin 'bout it.

Og (heading off to the fridge for a cold brewski).

Old January 31, 2001, 03:15   #9
D4everman
Prince

I don't want get too OT Ogie, but you brought back some memories! I used to live right down the street from the Deer Park. (Way back in the day when the State Theatre was still on Main Street.) I used to go into the Newark Newwsstand everyday on my way to school (before the UD took over my old Junior High_ and get candy and comic books. Six years ago I was on leave after being gone from Delaware for...uh...six years! And an old lady in the newsstand actually remembered me!("Weren't you that little boy who used to come in here all of the time buying comics?")

As for the 80's...man, I used to hit the Stone Balloon on Thursday when they had Mug night (buy a SB mug get nickel refills) and eat at klondikes a lot. When I took my wife to Newark the first time we ate there...sigh...memories...Well, I suppose I should say something about SMAC...uh...don't all those refineries past the Memorial Bridge make you think of Morgan?

D4