View Poll Results: Shall this amendment be passed?
Yea 2 14.29%
Nay 10 71.43%
Abstain 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23, 2003, 17:52   #1
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 10:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Amendment#2 IT IS NOT THE SAME
The Court, in its deliberations about an issue, can find a "spirit of the law" exception or interpretation to the printed wording of the law so long as 3 of the 5 Judges agree. This will be Article VI Clause 7.
Old January 23, 2003, 19:46   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Wait a moment... isn't 3 out of 5 already the number of judges required to make a legal opinion about anything?
Old January 23, 2003, 19:51   #3
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
isn't 3 out of 5 already the number of judges required to make a legal opinion about anything
yep.

Sell your photos
Old January 23, 2003, 20:47   #4
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 07:00
Looks like amendments are pretty difficult to pass these days. Sorry, MJW, but this one pretty much states what the law presently is.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old January 23, 2003, 21:13   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheik
Quote:
Wait a moment... isn't 3 out of 5 already the number of judges required to make a legal opinion about anything?
yep.
errrrr... nope. Unless the meaning of quorum has been switched on me. 3 are required to participate in any decision, they do not have to be unanimous (2 could decide with 1 in dissent).

That's how I understood it.
Old January 23, 2003, 21:15   #6
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

You are right NYE. Though recently we have been ruling with all five judges. You could make a decision with two justices as long as two other justices didn't oppose the decision. Though that was never really clear. We never really had a situation (At least not that I can remember) were two justices said one thing and two others said another with the third not having an opinion.

Sell your photos
Old January 23, 2003, 21:18   #7
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

We always did (or tried to). It was courtesy to all members of the court that we waited a reasonable period to gather their opinions.

Unfortunately, there were times we could not get the required three together for some extended periods.
Old January 23, 2003, 21:24   #8
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

roleplay

I hereby request that our august legal system begin an investigation into the the growing tendency of otherwise prominent netizens to post meaningless Amendments to our grand constitution.

The Poll that is the thread starting post of this thread is best described as a feloneous act of Bandwidth Banditry. News loving people from every walk of life shudder at the sinister plot unfolding here in our own forums. Remember, a packet is a terrible thing to waste.

So why you may ask do I consume a valuable packet or two here against such an obvious ploy? And you are entitled to an explanation or three.

I do so in support of dial-up users in every corner of our shrinking world. The brave netizens who are trapped behind the limitations of POPS. For those of you who do not have a telephony background, this is an abbreviation for "Plain Old Phone Service".

I do so in support of the thousands of workers toiling in the service departments of the remanents of the ex monopoly formerly known as 'Bell'.

But most of all, I do this in a desperate attempt to allow humor to creep into our otherwise overly serious lives.

So, for now, please think of the packets.

/roleplay
Old January 23, 2003, 21:56   #9
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I was going to abstain because I thought that this would have no effect and would like to express my dsidain with all these little amendment proposals,, but then I saw nye's post and changed to NO.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old January 24, 2003, 16:18   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 17:00
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
We always did (or tried to). It was courtesy to all members of the court that we waited a reasonable period to gather their opinions.

Unfortunately, there were times we could not get the required three together for some extended periods.
hi ,

, , have two extra's on standby or so , .....

have a nice day