View Poll Results: What should be done with Na'rmer?
Save him for the United Nations 15 53.57%
Save him for the Manhattan Project 1 3.57%
Save him for Longevity 0 0%
Save him for the Cure for Cancer 1 3.57%
Save him for the Apollo Program 1 3.57%
Save him for the Strategic Defense Initiative 0 0%
Save him for an expensive Spaceship part 0 0%
Use him for an Army now 7 25.00%
Use him for Wall Street now (it may be built within the next chat w/o help) 2 7.14%
Abstain 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23, 2003, 21:09   #1
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
UNofficial Run-off: What to do about Na'rmer
This is an unofficial poll for selecting what the leading option is for what to do with our new Great Leader, Na'rmer.

Given the result of this Senate Bill, it is clear that a majority of the population do not like the immediate options of what could be done with our Great Leader. Two other options still faired reasonably well on this poll, however and are included here as well. As such, which options in the near future do people wish to use our GL for?

1. Save him for the United Nations
2. Save him for the Manhattan Project
3. Save him for Longevity
4. Save him for the Cure for Cancer
5. Save him for the Apollo Program
6. Save him for Strategic Defense Initiative
7. Save him for an expensive Spaceship part
8. Use him for an Army now
9. Use him for Wall Street now (it may be built within the next chat w/o help)
10. Abstain

This poll will last 3 days.
Old January 23, 2003, 22:02   #2
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:00
I'm really interested in the results of this poll. Do you want it topped, Arnelos?
Old January 23, 2003, 22:49   #3
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

United Nations... Hmm...

This will happen many turns ahead, I suppose.
Oh, well... No GL's in my term...
Old January 23, 2003, 23:20   #4
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

It's not official, so it doesn't need to be topped. I have a funny feeling it won't have a problem staying on the front page on its own
Old January 24, 2003, 08:03   #5
Mr Mayor
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 15:00
I think we should get nukes avalible in the build list A.S.A.P..... we dont have to use them , but it would be good to have them , if the need arises.
Old January 24, 2003, 08:20   #6
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:00
It's best not to use them at all, if we can help it (and since we can help it, let's not use nukes). I've seen too many threads about the negative worldwide environmental effects of using nuclear weapons and their repercussions and I didn't like what I saw.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 24, 2003, 13:04   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

This poll was missing two options if it's including SDI as an option:

1. Use for CIA now.

2. Save for Battlefield Medicine.
Old January 24, 2003, 13:11   #8
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'd support either options. CIA is available now, and BFM will become available during today's turnchat.
The problem is, people don't want any GLs in the near future because it's holding back the game. We REALLY need to establish a committee that will be in charge of picking two options for the use of a GL every time one appears, and posting a poll that allows the citizens to choose between either two options.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 24, 2003, 14:02   #9
Aro
lifer
Emperor

I agree with Shiber, we need to establish a comittee as soon as possible, or we'll never see another GL in our game...

Note:
Shiber, your orders... well, at the turn 4, you wrote " -Ba'maarav ein col hadash (that's Hebrew)."

Unfortunately, in the last four generations, nobody in my family speaks Hebrew... Could you translate..?
Old January 24, 2003, 14:31   #10
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

My family tree hasn't been traced back far enough to find any relations with Hebrews.

We found relations to English, Scots, Irish, French, German, Cherokee, an additional native american Indian tribe & one of the Balkin countries so far. (The first thing we discovered was that my great-great-great-(more generations)-grand father [Taking my father in every case] paid cash to come to the Jamestown at or shortly after it's founding in the 1600s and that the same line has never been farmers in America, but were Blacksmiths, Lawyers, and other profesions living in small towns, and mostly married farmer's daughters. The second thing we discovered was that most of them loved to sing.
Old January 24, 2003, 14:48   #11
Aro
lifer
Emperor

I`ve tracked back (with several lacunes) to XVIth century. Jews from Portugal, Spain, Italy and later Holland (some of them killed in the events occurred in Lisbon, in the beginning of that century). They come to Brazil in the end of the XVIth century... Later, in the XVII another round of persecutions... and they had to live without show any clue about their faith. We call this people "New Christians". In the middle of XIXth century, they abandoned the Torah and embraced the Bible. More or less in that way...
Old January 24, 2003, 14:59   #12
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:00
Has any decision been reached on the GL Committee and who will be on it?

I thought of an interesting way to form it.

2 DIA members
2 ALP members
+3 Independents
= 7 people, of differing backgrounds.

The odd number of people ensure there are no ties on what to do. Two representatives from each political party, and three independents.

We can hold a vote on who should be representative of each.

The DIA votes on two members to represent their views, same for the ALP.

And the folks that are independent, vote for three representatives from non-aligned members. Bear in mind, in the independant vote, NO PARTY MEMBERS are allowed to vote, for fear of undermining the vote.

What do you guys think? ?
Old January 24, 2003, 15:00   #13
Mr Mayor
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 15:00
But we will build an arsanal of them weather we build the MP or not right?

What will happen if the other civs use nukes against us and as our tanks retailate they are ripped apart by Nuclear blasts?
Old January 24, 2003, 15:02   #14
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
I`ve tracked back (with several lacunes) to XVIth century. Jews from Portugal, Spain, Italy and later Holland (some of them killed in the events occurred in Lisbon, in the beginning of that century). They come to Brazil in the end of the XVIth century... Later, in the XVII another round of persecutions... and they had to live without show any clue about their faith. We call this people "New Christians". In the middle of XIXth century, they abandoned the Torah and embraced the Bible. More or less in that way...
Very interesting Aro (and roadcage too).

Some ancestors on my mother's side were Spanish and Portuguese Jews (on HER mothers side), and on her father's side they came from Germany (better yet, old Prussia).
My father's side is (Mother) from Wales and Germany, (father) from Italy.

Interesting that you mention the "new christians"....
Old January 24, 2003, 15:05   #15
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Mayor
But we will build an arsanal of them weather we build the MP or not right?

What will happen if the other civs use nukes against us and as our tanks retailate they are ripped apart by Nuclear blasts?
I've actually never been nuked, except in retaliation for nuking someone else, just to see what happened. Not sure on whether the AI is that aggressive (even though we ARE playing on a much higher level than most people play).

I would support the construction of ICBM's, but not many. Plop those babies on nuclear subs and just station them off of the coasts of potential enemies. If the AI fires nukes and us, we take the hits. Then we poll to see if the Senate supports retaliatory strikes, using nukes.

Hopefully it won't happen. But it could.
Old January 24, 2003, 15:24   #16
joncnunn
Emperor

I've been nuked in one of my own games. I did build the MP but it wouldn't have done any good not to. In that particlar game, the Russians had near tech-parity with me even in the modern era and had also started the MP.

I didn't build a single nuke of my own in that game.

The nuking came one turn after the targeted city completed it's space ship part. I was technically at war when I won the game via Space Ship.
Old January 24, 2003, 15:44   #17
Arnelos
Emperor

Continuing to thread-jack...

My roots are pretty simple:

English, English, and.... oh yeah, more English!

My gf when I was in college used to tease me about being such a WASP She found my descent from the Mayflower a subject of particular amusement. Oh well, at least I haven't joined the Mayflower Society or the Society of the Cincinnati Those people are... well... how shall I put this?... stuck up beyond all good sense?

Then there's a little German/Belgian, Scot, and French (the family of the noble French Governor of Haiti, actually...his brother married into an English family in Connecticut after the slaves killed the rest of the family in the Haitian slave revolt ) thrown in for spice.

Last edited by Arnelos; January 24, 2003 at 15:51.
Old January 24, 2003, 16:35   #18
joncnunn
Emperor

Most fanatastic claim in my family tree:
From the Murray [sp?] clan. (I might have misspelled their last name due to multiple similar sounding last names.)

They claim to be related to Pohohanas. [sp?] Not sure if I spelled the Indian princess name correctly either.

Via the same clan, we are realted to the first Governor of Oklahoma.

On the more flavorable side, via the Grandma on my Mom's side, I'm realted to a famous US lawyer in the first quarter of the 20th century who only lost one case. Many would argue that while losing in the actual trial, he won in the court of public opinion. In college, I met a few people related to the lawyer who beat him.
Old January 24, 2003, 17:29   #19
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

use him , right now , so that we can have an other GL

why even hold him until the wonders that are so far away , ......

use him , he is there , the wall street or army are the best , well we could use money , so go wall street

have a nice day on wall street
Old January 24, 2003, 18:03   #20
Arnelos
Emperor

Someone voted for Cure for Cancer?

Well, that's why I made it an option... you never know.

The reason Intel Agency wasn't an option was that it polled so horribly in the last poll. I only put options from the last poll in this one that actually got a respectable vote count.
Old January 25, 2003, 19:00   #21
Arnelos
Emperor

*bump*

There's still time left on this.
Old January 25, 2003, 19:28   #22
Meshelic
King

Hmm....what do you think the outcomes gonna be Arnelos?

Old January 25, 2003, 21:07   #23
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
Hmm....what do you think the outcomes gonna be Arnelos?

The outcome is not in doubt, it seems. I just want the apparent outcome to remain on the front page
Old January 25, 2003, 21:16   #24
Meshelic
King

Fair enough.
Old January 26, 2003, 09:13   #25
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

we could use the little bugger for a small wonder , and use the next GL for the UN , GL's is one thing we can produce at a high rate , ......

have a nice day
Old January 26, 2003, 10:12   #26
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 11:00
we are not assured of getting any more GLs this game. We have been very lucky producing any this war, let alone 3.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old January 26, 2003, 11:48   #27
Shiber
Emperor

Had we known two months ago that we would be wasting chances for GLs like that, we would be shocked at our own inefficiency.
I call once more for the founding of a Great Leaders committee. Roadcage, and others, agree that we need to have a committee that would choose two different uses for a GL each time one appears and poll between the two options.
I'm not sure if what Panzer32 says is correct. Some people are calling for the conquest of England, which will add more FP-centric cities to our empire. While I am not in favor of such an option at the moment, I recognize the possibility that we'll be going to war with England about 30 or so turns after the war with Germany will end.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old January 26, 2003, 12:14   #28
Aro
lifer
Emperor

I agree, Shiber.
Old January 26, 2003, 15:46   #29
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Had we known two months ago that we would be wasting chances for GLs like that, we would be shocked at our own inefficiency.
I call once more for the founding of a Great Leaders committee. Roadcage, and others, agree that we need to have a committee that would choose two different uses for a GL each time one appears and poll between the two options.
I'm not sure if what Panzer32 says is correct. Some people are calling for the conquest of England, which will add more FP-centric cities to our empire. While I am not in favor of such an option at the moment, I recognize the possibility that we'll be going to war with England about 30 or so turns after the war with Germany will end.
hi ,

indeed we need planning , Shiber this seems to be your field , will you start to do some planning in long and short term

have a nice day