Old January 30, 2001, 15:14   #1
Muzta
Settler

Local Time: 05:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Shouldn't there be boreholes near the boreholes cluster?
I'm playing a single player. I start scouting, there's the Borehole cluster sign so I'm thinking "great" Then Investigate to fing, to me suprise, no boreholes.

ummm...why?
Old January 30, 2001, 15:32   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 22:02
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I have never had that happen. I have reached it with two of the boreholes gone and the third one about to be eaten by a worm though. So probably you are having trouble with worms.

Worm distruction of boreholes seems to be more of a problem if you have them unexplored within your own territory than if they are outside of it.

Of course, if you play again and have the same problem, you may have a brand new bug named in your honour.
Old January 30, 2001, 17:34   #3
Muzta
Settler

I never thought of that. But I found it within like 40 years. how fast are they eaten?
Old January 30, 2001, 17:45   #4
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:02
I once found the borehole cluster with only one borehole and once without any boreholes. One time the borehole was located between Yang and Miriam and it was down to only one borehole. Don't know if it was the worms or the fighting. But it does happen.
Old January 30, 2001, 19:04   #5
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Ok, call me thick, but how in the name of all that's good and holy are mindworms meant to damage, let alone eat a deep shaft penetrating below planet's crust down to the mantle? Particularly since the weapon of choice against worms is the "flame gun"?
Old January 30, 2001, 20:40   #6
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Chowlett, my fault. I said worms but it is usually spore launchers. There you go. I am sure it is way more realistic for spore launchers to take out a borehole instead of worms.
Old January 30, 2001, 21:47   #7
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:02
I've caught a spore launcher in the act of destroying the borehole cluster. Altough the question still begs *how*
Old January 30, 2001, 23:16   #8
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

A borehole goes to the mantle, and by all accounts it is huge. But, it is fragile. Imagine the stresses involved, and the effort needed to keep the borehole open, especially when it is open to liquid rock at the bottom. The first small earthquake should take it out or it should fail under its own accumulated stresses unless some pretty serious engineering maintains and backs it up.

As to mindworms and spore launchers, those little suckers know Planet, and when something doesn't belong (e.g. - ecodamage). Since a turn is a year, it doesn't seem too unlikely that a judicious use of resonance fields to destabilize the rock strata and the destruction of structural elements within the borehole (since they can, apparently, eat or bore their way through about anything) would be more than enough to let it collapse under its own weight. All they do is let the stresses take their course, and maybe help it along a little. We don't see structures like this in nature for a reason - they are unstable.

Hydro
Old January 31, 2001, 00:21   #9
Jasonian
King

That makes sense for human-made boreholes and other eco damage, but what about the actual borehole cluster. Those things have been there a LONG time... so why didn't the worms destroy them eons ago?

Hmm...
Old January 31, 2001, 01:18   #10
JAMiAM
Prince

Local Time: 21:02
You guys are all missing the obvious explanation. Most likely, someone else got there first and popped a pod that was close by triggering an earthquake and in the process destroyed the boreholes.

The boreholes, like all other landmarks, go away when their elevation is changed.
Old January 31, 2001, 08:40   #11
Muzta
Settler

I do remember a some what odd hill before the lettering. But I still think there should have been space for at least one
Old January 31, 2001, 10:57   #12
Aredhran
Prince

Local Time: 06:02
It's definitely the Spore Launchers, it has happened to me numerous times.

All it takes is for some fungal tower to spawn a spore in the vicinity, and the little bugger will happily bomb the boreholes until they no longer exist.

The fact that they're alien-built doesn't mean anything to the SMAX code, they only LOOK different on the map, but they are still terraformed (or progenitorplanetformed ) and as such become a target for the spores.

Aredhran
Old January 31, 2001, 14:47   #13
Deimos
Prince

I too have seen the Bore Hole Cluster disappear. I have never ascertained what was removing them. I just chalked it up to fungus growth, since it seemed to me that after their destruction, the area was covered in fungus, whereas before it was not.

It also appears to happen more frequently on random map games. I have yet to see them disappear on the Map of Planet.
Old January 31, 2001, 18:24   #14
Hawkeye_td
Settler

I agree. I too have seen Spore Launchers destroy the Borehole Cluster, at least once. I have the same question that someone asked above... if the Borehole Cluster has been around for eons, why do the worms just decide to destroy it when humans come around? These little storyline issues bug me, and the only satisfactory explanation that I can come up with is that the human arrival somehow triggered a great growth in worm activity, before which there were never so many worms, and Spore Launchers never had the numbers or motivation to destroy the Cluster.
Old January 31, 2001, 22:47   #15
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Jasonian,

Now that you mention it, it is strange that the borehole cluster was left unmolested for what may be millions of years. But then, almost everything else of the Progenitors is gone (destroyed by the Flowering and mindworms?) except for the monoliths. Maybe the mindworms were saving it for last - kind of like dessert

Anyway, you are probably right, Hawkeye. Chalk it up to Planet's overactive immune response.

I did kind of like the dessert hypothesis, though…

Hydro
Old February 1, 2001, 05:57   #16
Aredhran
Prince

I have a few explanations to provide.
  • Mark it down as another piece of crappy Firaxis code
  • Think of it as Planet's ecosystem being disturbed by the arrival of the polluting human factions.

I have never seen Fungus naturally grow over the Cluster. However, once it's destroyed (by spores), nothing prevents the growth, especially if a Fungal Tower happens to be nearby.
Old February 1, 2001, 06:00   #17
Aredhran
Prince

Needless to say, I think my first theory is the good one
Old February 1, 2001, 11:10   #18
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

'Red:

I think your second option is the one

Refer to Interlude 15

Until the humans came, the very act of gaining sentiency killed the planetlife, and so the cycle began again.

By the time the mindworms, sporelaunchers et al realized what the boreholes were, they died off.

So it is entirely in keeping with the plot line that the arrival of the humans "awakened" them and alerted them to the eco-danger.

G.
Old December 19, 2001, 12:28   #19
Yxklyx
Warlord

I have one answer. In one game, the Borehole Cluster was in my territory but far from my cities and thus not being used. Dierdre destroyed one of them with one of her troops that were roaming in the area.
Old December 19, 2001, 13:15   #20
knowhow2
King

Spore launcher.

simple reason why? Spore launchers were design to destroy improvements (except for monoliths which they themselves can use) by the game designers and Clusters are improvements although not human made.

complex reason why? Spore Launchers defends the Planet and Borehole Clusters near Humans are on its way to being used and therefor appears dangerous to the enviromennt.
Old December 19, 2001, 14:39   #21
Pandir
Chieftain

Thats not so odd I have seen Fungal Towers and fungus on the top square(the lava square)of Mount Planet. How do you explain that.
Old December 20, 2001, 06:24   #22
Tizzy
Warlord

Maybe they like the heat?