Old January 24, 2003, 06:39   #1
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Changes from civ3
Earlier this week I bought PTW, I haven't played it yet but I will get the time to do so this weekend.

I've had a brief look at the manual and noticed some new civs, new UU's, new improvements and worker actions.

My question to you is, what makes the biggest difference in gameplay? Can I use my civ3-strategies and still win?

TIA
Old January 24, 2003, 06:44   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:02
Re: Changes from civ3
Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
Can I use my civ3-strategies and still win?
Yes. If they were good enough.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 24, 2003, 07:01   #3
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

the effects on gameplay are limited -IMO...you should be more aware of the barbs as they really became smarter. Also the upgrade swordsmen->med.inf. makes the swordsmen more valuable...I've never used the new worker actions, airfields might be usefull...but I never have modern wars as they just bore me. Also, hte AI's micromanagement has improved as cities that can't grow (due to lack of aqueducts/hospitals) will maximize production...but this is negigeable(sp.?).
Old January 24, 2003, 08:01   #4
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

How about this new guerilla unit, is it just another unit or is it like a privateer on land?

War of Art , I'm no expert but I will win most of my games at monarch
Old January 24, 2003, 08:12   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Then, you'll still win most of your games at monarch, Bongo. For some fun I suggest using a massed Cavalry assault with the Ottomans. Their UU is very powerful, with the most entertaining animations (like something out of a western) The main changes in stratagy come from the new units, and yes, the guerrilea (sp?) is just another unit, and not a great one either ! The medieval infantry are another funny unit : same stats as an Immortal, but coming much later in the tech tree. Useful if you have a lot of Swordsmen still hanging around, but not very. Another cool animation though.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old January 24, 2003, 08:25   #6
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Too bad the guerilla isn't an unit without nationality markings. Fighting a guerilla war inside someone else's borders would have been so cool.

A stronger cavalry unit?? Yikes!
Old January 24, 2003, 09:06   #7
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

You really have to change guerillas in the editor if you want them to be anything special.

I do like medieval infantry though. Not only do they give you something to do with swordsmen but allow you to play at being the Persians with another civ. Cheap firepower and much earlier than longbowmen.

The stock exchange does mean a well developed civ can generate a lot more gold in the late industrial and modern ages.
Old January 24, 2003, 09:26   #8
Stuie
King

Local Time: 11:02
RE: Guerillas... check out this thread for some ideas on making them something more entertaining:

http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...threadid=71778

Personally, I've found making them 6.6.2 and ignoring terrain penalties works well, and the AI has used them effeciently with these settings.

The AI is slightly "tweaked" in PTW; you'll find the AI taking better advantage of terrain and such, and the barbarians are very different as noted above.

Still, it's the same game when all is said and done, though more enjoyable for the additions IMO. Your Civ3 strategies will work, you may just need to be slightly more efficient in employing them.
Old January 26, 2003, 16:20   #9
gnome
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

Local Time: 10:02
I played as the Ottomans speficially for their UU: and then had the fortunate (for the sake of fun) event of getting involved in a major war just as I had upgraded all my knights!

One tactic I found useful--the Medieval Infantry is actually a pretty good unit for taking out invading cavalry, if you can get the drop on them and attack first. They're fairly cheap so you can produce in large numbers.
Old January 26, 2003, 23:19   #10
Coracle
Prince

Local Time: 10:02
Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
Too bad the guerilla isn't an unit without nationality markings. Fighting a guerilla war inside someone else's borders would have been so cool.
Isn't it possible to mod that??

BTW, many of us modded the game values dramatically many many months ago as we found the game values so non-historical. I also think such as 5-2-2 knights makes for a more interesting game (they need support from defensive pikemen).
Old January 27, 2003, 07:47   #11
bongo
lifer
Emperor

I'm not very much into modding. I simply don't have the time to both mod AND play. If I like the game anyway, why bother? If I don't like it I just have to ask you guys for a decent mod

The only mod I used so far is a graphic mod to enhance visibilty of resources. A small but excellent mod.