Old January 24, 2003, 18:35   #1
Jules
Warlord

Local Time: 10:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
HoI v1.03 Released except NA version
The NA version of the patch has been delayed 'til Monday for some reason. Oh, well.

But for everybody else,

Download page:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...threadid=68024

Fixes, Modifications, etc:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...threadid=67964

Looks mighty impressive. Can't wait to try it out.
Old January 24, 2003, 19:29   #2
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 17:05
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Great news! But....now I have just lost all sleep and rest for the whole weekend!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2003, 19:29   #3
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:05
Waiting a couple of days for a patch is nothing, some of us are still waiting for it to even come out.
Old January 24, 2003, 19:47   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
Waiting a couple of days for a patch is nothing, some of us are still waiting for it to even come out.
If you haven't played the game, then you don't understand why this patch is necessary, and the loss of a weekend is painful.

The game is quite flawed without the latest patch. I daresay the original release was more flawed than the original release of Civ3, and thats saying something.

The best fix, among many, IMO, is that the computer will no longer mimic your production. Before, I would devote every industry point to research and none to unit production. Well, the computer would do the same and suddenly germany can't capture poland, let alone france. the patch allows the ai to do its own thing production wise, I cant imagine how much more difficult (thank god) this would make the game.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2003, 21:07   #5
Jules
Warlord

I guess I can stand to wait a couple more days. I'm surprised it was released this early, since the official word on the Paradox boards suggested early February. Does this perhaps mean that EU2 v1.06 will be coming soon?
Old January 24, 2003, 21:10   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I guess I can stand to wait a couple more days. I'm surprised it was released this early, since the official word on the Paradox boards suggested early February. Does this perhaps mean that EU2 v1.06 will be coming soon?

If you go to the paradox pages, you can download the NA version now from a few websites. Its in RAR format, though I believe it might now be zipped. They took the Scandinavian version and zipped the new files. Seems to be working for me ok so far
Old January 25, 2003, 00:13   #7
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 11:05
Yes, Patric spent some time and make a fix for the NA version, since SFI is gone for the weekend.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2003, 20:01   #8
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
The game is quite flawed without the latest patch. I daresay the original release was more flawed than the original release of Civ3, and thats saying something.
Everyone has their own opinion but I loved this game when it came out in spite of its flaws. I couldn't say the same about Civ III. HoI didn't need six months and a £29.99 patch to get multiplayer either.
Old January 25, 2003, 22:17   #9
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold

Everyone has their own opinion but I loved this game when it came out in spite of its flaws. I couldn't say the same about Civ III. HoI didn't need six months and a £29.99 patch to get multiplayer either.

Sure, of course. I don't care about mp, which probably shows why we have differing opinions. Playing only sp HOI, until this patch, was quite bad, since if you only expend ICs on research, the ai wouldn't have any units whatsoever, making the game incredibly easy. Now, however, its a much better, more difficult game sp.
Old January 25, 2003, 23:23   #10
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Well, if you're gonna research to Panthers by 1938 and ignore playing correctly, there ought to be a way to punish the people who do it...

Old January 25, 2003, 23:38   #11
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Well, if you're gonna research to Panthers by 1938 and ignore playing correctly, there ought to be a way to punish the people who do it...

Old January 26, 2003, 08:51   #12
Nikolai
Deity

How should the spending be in 1.03 then? Half units and half technology?
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old January 26, 2003, 13:21   #13
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
How should the spending be in 1.03 then? Half units and half technology?
Whatever you feel most comfortable with. I build mechs and infs at the beginning (iuf anything) since their stats increase, but armor waits until the year or so before war when my techs have advanced. I probably go 80% research for the first couple years til mid 38 or something. Playing as a big guy, of course.
Old January 27, 2003, 05:24   #14
The Pioneer
Prince

That's great news! A great game just became better!

So long...
The Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2003, 07:32   #15
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Playing only sp HOI, until this patch, was quite bad, since if you only expend ICs on research, the ai wouldn't have any units whatsoever, making the game incredibly easy. Now, however, its a much better, more difficult game sp.
I didn't realise that was the case, since it doesn't seem to research when you research or build units when you build units. I'm sure it will be a stronger opponent with each patch and many annoying quirks will disappear. I just found it immense fun from 1.0 onward anyway. Easy, but fun.
Old January 27, 2003, 08:03   #16
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:05
Is there any news about what has been added/changed/removed with this patch?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2003, 08:52   #17
Nikolai
Deity

You can find it here, at HoI's official pages.
Old January 27, 2003, 10:19   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Thanks Nikolai. That is a VERY long list of things added and changed.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old January 27, 2003, 10:46   #19
Nikolai
Deity

Yes, and Johan(the main programmer) said that this wasn't everything! There are also a number of small tweaks that they haven't listed.
Old January 27, 2003, 18:08   #20
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold

I didn't realise that was the case, since it doesn't seem to research when you research or build units when you build units. I'm sure it will be a stronger opponent with each patch and many annoying quirks will disappear. I just found it immense fun from 1.0 onward anyway. Easy, but fun.
yeah, I would play as say, Germany and research like mad until 1938. When I attacked, the others would only have maybe 60 units, easy to roll.

the patch has totally changed (improved) the game, its much, much more difficult. Playing as Germany on very hard, furious, was actually, gasp, challenging, for a while at least. and, the first game as USSR I got rolled by Germany.
Old January 27, 2003, 18:13   #21
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

MP any good with the improvements?
Old January 27, 2003, 19:45   #22
Oerdin
Deity

I still haven't tried MP with 1.03. Haven't downloaded 1.03 at all yet. I'm waiting for feed back before I give up my 1.02.
Old January 27, 2003, 21:04   #23
Jon Shafer

1.03 is much better.

The MP tactical bombing bug was squashed, which was a huge improvement for MP play. Luckily I get the most up-to-date version of the game daily to play MP, so I get to work with new stuff you guys don't.
Old January 27, 2003, 21:54   #24
Jules
Warlord

For those with the NA version, Strategy First has released the official 1.03 on its website:

http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/downloads/
(click on the Patches link)
Old January 28, 2003, 00:05   #25
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 23:05
Excellent.
Time to teach those French how to spell "Panzer".
(They just seem to keep forgetting ).
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2003, 10:50   #26
Grumbold
Emperor

Woot! Time to get downloading. I see they toned down the computer research bonus. Thank goodness for that.
Old January 28, 2003, 21:05   #27
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 23:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
1.03 is much better.
I have to say I think the naval aspect is much much better now. My ships actually sunk things other than convoys.
No more getting my main fleet stuck off the coast of some itsy bitsy little port with a single zero-org sub that kept making spoiler attacks only to be instantly routed (and thereby tying my force up until it had lost all its own org. Grrr. ).
AI seemed a little better too (although I guess I should really start a new game to give em the full benefit of the patch ).

I guess somebody's started the countdown to 1.04?
I hope they get the graphic hiccup fixed soon. It just feels wrong sending my biplanes in against those Me109's. Like I'm playing Civ or something.
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2003, 18:04   #28
Jules
Warlord

A fairly major bug I've noticed is that when you lose a defensive battle, or try to retreat from one yourself, your units disappear instead of retreat. The AI seems to be unaffected by this. Supposedly it's been fixed, but too late for 1.03 sadly.
Old January 31, 2003, 09:48   #29
Nikolai
Deity

What is real sad for HoI as a game, is the loss of Bolt, one of(if not the) the most important mod maker. Sad that he went mad...(because that's what it seems like, at least when not having the direct information at hand ) We can only hope he'll come back, but that's not very likely I guess.
Old January 31, 2003, 11:23   #30
Ozz
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:05
Quote:
Sure, of course. I don't care about mp, which probably shows why we have differing opinions. Playing only sp HOI, until this patch, was quite bad, since if you only expend ICs on research, the ai wouldn't have any units whatsoever, making the game incredibly easy. Now, however, its a much better, more difficult game sp.
I think the problems were more basic than the AI, ie
inferstructure, paratroops, disappearing units (not attr),
sliders, the general selector and of course the CTD.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote