Old January 29, 2003, 11:22   #31
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 10:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I have Morrowind but it keeps locking up and crashing on me. It makes me even madder that I haven't been able to finish the game due to the crashes.
Really? I don't think its crashed more than twice in all the time I've played it. And since it has quick save this isn't a problem for me. I tend to quick save every 30 seconds or so.
Kc7mxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2003, 11:35   #32
booklord
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:06
You want to see it really blow up you need to develop some nasty magic items. I found that it often had problems with my ring of unlimited levitation. But for real crash potential you need to create a 1000 strength light potion. ( Easy to do if you stock up on intel potions )
booklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2003, 12:13   #33
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Mine crashes most when I access the map menu. I don't believe I have the quick save feature (pc only?) and sometimes it crashes during saves, which is really fantastic since it corrupts my saved game as well. This only happens on the autosave, fortunately. The last time it crashed I whipped my disk across the room so now I'm not sure it will work at all. I'm so angry about it I doubt I will try, though.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2003, 23:48   #34
patrickjb53
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:06
Re: Any word on minimum system requirements?
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
The question- am I going to need a new PC to run this game?
That depends on what kind of pc you have. MOO3 system requirements are pretty low. If you computer is no more than five or six years old it should be ok. You might have to upgrades one or two items.
patrickjb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2003, 22:24   #35
vee4473
King

Local Time: 10:06
Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art
There are almost NO good console games, unless you are interested in shooting lots of cartoon things very quickly, or driving a car into walls.

-Jam
I must say that is a ridiculous comment.

Consoles are just another arena of gaming. They have great games that can rival pc games.

I would say that the only limitation of consoles is the fact that they have limited peripherals, like controllers, to work with adn limited hardware to work with.

The lack of a mouse severely hinders consoles.

But please, console games have given many great titles.

Granted, in depth TBS games are the best on a PC , but to say consoles have NO great games is wrong I think.

May I go back as far as the NES and Metal Gear, Zelda, Solstice, Shadowgate (awesome) and Dragon Warrior. All are primitive, yes, but they established great role playing environments within a limited system at the time.

Not to mention Shadowrun (possibly the best at the time), Final Fantasy, Centurion defender of Rome for the Genesis..the were great for the time...stress "for the time".

The Metal Gear games rival most PC games of the same genre.

Consoles always had less hardware to work with and I think they do a fine job.

I remember playing Tomb Raider for the playstation and loving it, then I played it on the PC and the graphics were not as good.

Don't underestimate consoles.

Of course there is the primary lure...you put in a game and it works, imagine that...
Old February 3, 2003, 22:39   #36
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I have to admit to being a console fan. There just aren't that many games for the PC I really like anymore. Many times when I get a PC game it doesn't live up to my expectations, runs sh**ty, and has tons of bugs. I'm partial to RPG games, and most console platforms are loaded with them. The ones I see lately for PC either require monthly fees and high speed connections or spectacular hardware setups I can't afford to buy. I was pretty worried MOO3 was going to fall into the latter category and I'm pleased it didn't. For the price of upgrading my PC to play most new releases I can buy at least three new console games. And that, my friends, will be PC gamings downfall.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2003, 06:41   #37
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Vee & Harry, sure you're right, when I say there are no good console games, this is an exaggeration. There are a few that show some originality, but generally console games are :
Linear,
Derivative,
Action/reflexes based,
Or sports games.

Harsh maybe, but true

I personally have no desire to play another first person shooter, car racing game, 3D cartoon jump-on-peoples'-heads game unless, and this is the big problem, unless it has something new to offer me. Yes, this is also a problem with many PC games, but at least in the world of TBS games there is still room for new games, and still a desire to play old games, and yes, many PC games are also poor, buggy etc, but hidden in the dross there's some real gems.

So sue me

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2003, 07:02   #38
Gooberman32
Warlord

Local Time: 23:06
I really dont think PC gaming is gonna die anytime soon, because there is a demand for games which:

-look better(95% of the time)
-have a little more complexity
-do not require the reflexes of a jedi
-do not have steep prices( royalties have to be paid to the makers of the console for each game)
- more variety of games
-little worry for area codes and such
Granted the PC has its disadvantages, bugs,patches, etc. but i feel its a sacrifice thats worth making, it also serves as a filter to weed out impatient and stupid people( not saying console gamers are impatient and stupid). Of course the new consoles have more multiplayer. but what i dont like about consoles the most is their holier than thou sense of entitlement to reserve game(good ones, they can keep their crappy kiddy titles) titles to themselves and noone else gets to play,(economically stupid because PC gamers form a large percentage of gamers) so the argument that consoles are cheaper may be deflated because you may have to force yourself to make the decision to either buy console A or console B or if you can afford it, both.
Old February 26, 2003, 07:27   #39
CharlesBHoff
Prince

In this depression I than glad than game company isnot asking for top of the line computer. I agree that hight power computer folk are than very vocial tincy min that are forceing alot of people yo leave pc gameing.
Old February 26, 2003, 08:51   #40
Stuie
King

Local Time: 11:06
CBH - are your fingers on the right keys?
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2003, 09:11   #41
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 17:06
Nobody is forcing anyone to leave PC-gaming, PC hardware evolves, it improves every year. If people refuse to keep up with any developments, it's their own choice.

A top of the line computer would be a near 3 Ghz computer at the moment, yet there are hardly any games with requirements of above 1 Ghz.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2003, 07:49   #42
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
CBH - are your fingers on the right keys?
We are in a other great depression. What they teach you young one in school today is than shane. Than depression is when the DOW fall 25 % or more from it high . The hight in the DOW was around 11000 , today it close below 8000. The Nasdag reach than all time hight of about 5000 and is now down to about 1300. You cannot say our economy is doing well. The old rule trump the new rule of the 1990's. The DOW theory still hold true. Donot listern to the spin doctor thar are saying how great our economy is doing.
Than we have not seen the worst yet. Bush is going to be than one term president .
Old February 27, 2003, 14:39   #43
Rantz
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Mmmmm....I'm running a P600 with 128Mb RAM and a Voodoo 3. It's the RAM that might pose a problem.
You shouldn't have any problems with that config, I've ran it (playable) on a 400Mhz machine with a TNT2 and 64 MGs of RAM.

So, no worries there.
Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2003, 16:35   #44
Settler

I agree with Rantz. I've got a 350 MHz, 64 megs of Ram machine that seems to run it just fine.
Avatar_V is offline   Reply With Quote