Old January 27, 2003, 20:32   #151
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 07:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
The Raiders D is also much better than that. You forget that most of the passing yards they give up is when they are already leading by double digits and teams are just passing in order to keep up. Overall, the Raiders are the better team. I hope they win.

Somehow, you rooting for the Raiders makes my day.
Old January 27, 2003, 21:05   #152
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:08
He got sick, Tuber. Not sure of the details, but I heard he checked into a hospital.
Old January 27, 2003, 21:32   #153
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
He got sick, Tuber. Not sure of the details, but I heard he checked into a hospital.
From what little I could glean from the paper, it was a mental illness, not physical.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old January 27, 2003, 21:38   #154
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Thank goodness, it's all over for another year!

On the other hand, it's one of the best times to go out shopping; all the stores are nearly empty...
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old January 28, 2003, 03:14   #155
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
BTW I heard on sports radio that the starting center was in Tijuana, Mexico. He came back not ready to play- obviously. He missed team practice and meeting as well.

It was a diciplinary action.
Old January 28, 2003, 04:28   #156
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

What about Bill Parcells?

I never really cared for him that much. I am Sooo glad he didn't take the TB job. I really don't think TB could have won a superbowl with him as coach. In fact I'm certain at this. He would have ran the ball too much even with the inneffective running game. Although he might have brought in a good RB. Pittman was actually pushed by Gruden to TB. Pittman hasn't broken 100 yards all season until the superbowl. but I feel Gruden got the passing offense rolling like it needed to be. He did an excellent job compensating for the lack of running game this season.

The Raiders on the other hand should have pushed their running game after the first series where their passing wasn't doing so well. The Bucs were only like 4th or 5th on run defense compared to #1 on pass defense. They have 3 excellent RB's, actually I think they use 4 RB's routinely. Although Wheatley doesn't get as much as he used to now Zack Crockett get a lot of short yardage carries. It was still worth a shot.

The simple fact is the Raiders had the talent to get to the superbowl with pretty much anyone at coach. I was not impressed with their coaching in the superbowl. They were not prepared and it showed. And they lacked enthusiasm.

Also a radio talk show made a good point. The Raiders claimed they were bigger and stronger. Well a big and strong offensive line is better suited to a running game instead of a 3 step drop passing game. They should have tried running the ball.

And the Raiders may be big and strong, but they are slow and old. They have no hope of keeping up with a very fast TB team.
Old January 28, 2003, 04:32   #157
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

OK time has come to vote for your #1 defense folks.

I'm still undecided. TB of 2002 is definately in the top3.

They may not be the best, but they are definately the fastest defense ever
Old January 28, 2003, 09:08   #158
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

AWOL Raider Center
What I'm hearing is that the Oakland center missed all Saturday team activities, including 2 meetings and the on-field run-through, due to depression. He has a history of this (apparently causing some missed time in the past).

It has been confirmed that initial tests showed no signs of any alcohol or drugs in his bloodstream. He remains in a San Diego hospital for testing at this time, and has been pulled from the AFC Pro Bowl team, to be replaced by the center from the Patriots.

Very sad...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old January 28, 2003, 14:18   #159
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I heard he was in Tijuana, the best place to go if you are depressed
Old January 28, 2003, 17:13   #160
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 11:08
Quote:
OK time has come to vote for your #1 defense folks.

I'm still undecided. TB of 2002 is definately in the top3.
They aren't in my Top 3 .

1) 1985 Chicago Bears
2) 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers (especially 1976)
3) 1970s Purple People Eaters... uh... Minnesota Vikings (especially 1971 and 73).

The '66 Green Bay Packers and the '02 Bucs are Honorable Mention.

Remember, they aren't even the best defense of the decade! That belongs to the 2000 Baltimore Ravens... how soon we forget .

Though the Bucs do have one the top 3 defensive lines of all time. They are right up there with the Fearsome Foursome of the Rams, and the front four of the Purple People Eaters of Minnesota.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; January 28, 2003 at 17:33.
Old January 28, 2003, 17:50   #161
reismark
NationStatesApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

They're in my top three, but not my top slot. Not yet, anyway. The Steel Curtain and the '85 Bears do have a jump on them... but they'll move past the '85 Bears if my boys can defend the title next year

And I didn't forget the Ravens... but remember, that defense had only one memorable year. It isn't just the Bucs who have been more consistent on defense over the years than the Ravens... the Titans were more consistent. Heck, officially, in 2000, the Titans had the better defense!
Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)
Old January 28, 2003, 18:07   #162
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

It will take more than a repeat to put them past the bears defense...

If you remember, they only gave up 10 points in the ENTIRE post season. And three of those came because Walter fumbled the ball on the opening drive of the Super Bowl and New England started deep in Bears Territory. We are talking about a team that used to hold teams to negative yards rushing...

During the regular season, they held their opponents to 10 points or less in 11 of the 16 games.

The 85 Bears was the best defense EVER. And while they didn't win multiple Super Bowls... their defense was consistently GREAT over a long period of time.

I would rate the Steel Curtain as second.

And I'm willing to see this years Bucs rate up with The Purple Eaters... and the Fearsome Foursome... because they have been good for more than one year.

The Ravens still have more to prove. Lossing Lewis this year didn't help them. But in the end, they may rise on my list.
Old January 28, 2003, 18:14   #163
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
And I didn't forget the Ravens... but remember, that defense had only one memorable year. It isn't just the Bucs who have been more consistent on defense over the years than the Ravens... the Titans were more consistent. Heck, officially, in 2000, the Titans had the better defense!
The Ravens let only 265 points against in 2001 (after an AMAZING 165 PA in 2000). Last year Tampa let up 280 PA and in 2001 they gave up 269. This year Tampa let up 196. That shows that the Ravens had TWO great defensive years. That's enough to qualify for a good all time Defense.

In 2000 Tennessee gave up 191 points, which is 25 points MORE than Baltimore gave up. In terms of total yards given up, Tennessee had only 4,151 yards against while Baltimore had 4,145 yards against! That's a slim margin of 6 yards, but STILL Baltimore wins in both catagories. Where is the official better?

All stats from http://www.pro-football-reference.com

edit: ALSO in 1999, Baltimore only gave up 277 points, which is less than Tampa gave up last year, which means THREE great years in a row for the Ravens .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; January 28, 2003 at 18:36.
Old January 28, 2003, 19:35   #164
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I did not forget the Ravens. They are in my top 5 along with the 85 bears and the steel curtain.

I don't think Tampa Bay is the best defense. In fact I know they are not. But like I said they are the fastest. If they were #1 against the run and allowed fewer points I would maybe say they were the best.