Old January 26, 2003, 09:51   #1
Albert
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The forum
I`m only writing this to get closer to the title of chieftan.
Now lets just think about that for a while.

I just saw this text in another thread:

Quote:
Do you have some sort of elitist hatred for anyone without at least "King" by their name or something?
Is it so that us settlers are beeing discriminated because we are just low ranked civ players and don`t know anything about civ tactics. Are our posts taken less seriously?

I have been playing civ since it was realeased for the Amiga computers and I demand respect for my Sid Meier worshiping.

Old January 26, 2003, 09:54   #2
epics
Warlord

I am also a Settler (as you can see ) and I think I'm not discriminated.

I read post which are interesting no matter who wrote them.
Old January 26, 2003, 09:58   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Don't worry Albert, I feel the same thing occasionally.

I have seen some "Settlers" make some amazing posts on really high difficulty games. If it makes anyone feel any better, I am just about to win Civ3 for the first time (never have the patience once I get to a certain point) and most Settlers who post here seem to be WAY ahead of me.

The ranking thing is more an indicator of how well known you are here - most people recognise the Emperors, whereas Kings like me are commonplace and have certain groups we know. Give it time and keep posting where you feel like it and you will soon become as well-recognised as anyone. Just avoid the OT forum. Nothing but spam and a whole host of rather vicious posters.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old January 26, 2003, 10:16   #4
Albert
Chieftain

I got tears in my eyes and is grateful that someone replies to my settler post.

good to hear that I can post what I fell like and always be welcome. It`s like a religious society.

and to epics:
If wee keep ut the good work on your thread: "Another unrealistic thing about civ3", we`ll probably bee kings very soon as our good friend MrWhereItsAt

And to be honest, I don`t feel much discriminated, but settlers in here usually say stuff like: I don`t know if anyone have asked before, but I have to ask .......
or:
I`m a bit embarrassed to ask this question since I have been playing all my life...
etc.

I think settlers feels like the new boy/girl in the class, and it`s important for all civ3 players that we take care of everyone, if not, the players will immigrate to the dark side like Starcraft and RedAlert.
Old January 26, 2003, 10:26   #5
epics
Warlord

THANKS MAN
But, have you noticed, we are the only ones who post on the "Another unrealistic..." (and it's "unrealistic feature" )

I didn't start like that... how did I start??

Hey, what do you have to Starcraft and RA?? Those are very cool games. I play SC since the very begining!!!!
Old January 26, 2003, 10:44   #6
Albert
Chieftain

Yes, and it seems like we are the only ones posting as well.
Never did well in starcraft, but is finished with RA a long way back, don`t like that everything has to be done so quick.
I usually say that Red Alert/starcraft/warcraft is tactics, Civilization is strategy, and in military terms strategy is covers a lot more than just tactics. BUT this is sooooooo of topic.

But let this thread be a place for us to make smiling faces and come together deity and settler like one united group

what am I talking about, sounds like a religious fanatic.
Old January 26, 2003, 10:51   #7
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Just avoid the OT forum. Nothing but spam and a whole host of rather vicious posters.
Yes, there are a few nasty ones aren't there? I find they usually back down if you stand up for yourself thouugh.
Old January 26, 2003, 10:53   #8
Albert
Chieftain

OT?

You see, this is questions settlers don`t like to ask
Old January 26, 2003, 10:58   #9
Willem
Emperor

Re: The forum
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert

Is it so that us settlers are beeing discriminated because we are just low ranked civ players and don`t know anything about civ tactics. Are our posts taken less seriously?

I have been playing civ since it was realeased for the Amiga computers and I demand respect for my Sid Meier worshiping.
If that's how you feel, I'd advise you not to go over to CivFanatics. They have a "Newbie Patrol" there that can get rather annoying IMO.

Off Topic: Another Amiga user eh? Man did we bet on the wrong horse! Commodore should have been at the forefront of the industry, instead of going belly up.
Old January 26, 2003, 11:00   #10
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
OT?

You see, this is questions settlers don`t like to ask
If you go down the "forum jump" menu to almost the very bottom, you'll find the Off Topic Forum. People are free to discuss almost anything they like, not just Civ III matters.
Old January 26, 2003, 11:16   #11
Albert
Chieftain

Re: Re: The forum
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

If that's how you feel, I'd advise you not to go over to CivFanatics. They have a "Newbie Patrol" there that can get rather annoying IMO.

Off Topic: Another Amiga user eh? Man did we bet on the wrong horse! Commodore should have been at the forefront of the industry, instead of going belly up.
I`ve heard rumors about this civfanatic forum. But let them grow old without recruiting new members, and in the end they`ll wanish and the apolyton forum will be the only true one.

off topic:The Amiga belonged to a friend (of course), and was a very good friend. After all he had the power. But noone can take away my Commadore 64 or "geana sisters tape." And I`m not sure about C64 being the forefront of computer industry. Would rather not see "press play on tape" to access the internett
Old January 26, 2003, 13:24   #12
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 11:09
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Welcome aboard!!

If anything, I'd say the philosophy on 'poly is to help newer players progress, certainly not to beat them up... I agree with Willem about Civfanatics "newbie patrol" being a bit harsh.

As to 'where' you'll see the veterans, well, speaking for myself at least, we spent so much time last year battling trolls that whenever I see thread titles like "Another unrealistic..." or such, I just don;t bother. When the time comes to contribute to Civ4, I'll be there... for now I'd just rather focus on what we have and what we can currently improve (like the AU Mod).

Anyway, again, welcome aboard, and don;t be shy about asking "newbie" questions!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old January 26, 2003, 13:27   #13
trevor
Warlord

Local Time: 10:09
I didn't reallly notice this settler discrimination; sure, I feel jealous of those custom avatars.
Interesting thing also, I've been posting at CivFanatics for a little over a month now and haven't felt Zulu's wrath.

Scary thing about OT is: this topic is quickly becoming a candiate for movement to OT... So... who likes those Modern Armors?
Old January 26, 2003, 13:37   #14
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Hey! OT is cool

Btw making up threads just for the sake of raising your post count is FORBIDDEN !
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old January 26, 2003, 14:25   #15
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:09
I remember when I was a settler, also when I was going up the ranks. I think that in the Off Topic forum and Civ3 forums that if you have low post count that people wont listen to you. Many times I have post of mine that are ignored. Even though I am king.
(I just got there a couple of days ago.)
Old January 26, 2003, 14:42   #16
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:09
Meh, there's no real discrimination because of your post count based user title. The content matters. As I said in the other thread, the Stella Polaris forum is one good example that Settlers are equal and they're equal. The same goes for the OTF. More experienced members evaluate other members more based on the previous messages by the same person, rather than the title.

MWIA,

don't give bad impressions to these newbies.
Old January 26, 2003, 14:45   #17
epics
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Welcome aboard!!

If anything, I'd say the philosophy on 'poly is to help newer players progress, certainly not to beat them up... I agree with Willem about Civfanatics "newbie patrol" being a bit harsh.

As to 'where' you'll see the veterans, well, speaking for myself at least, we spent so much time last year battling trolls that whenever I see thread titles like "Another unrealistic..." or such, I just don;t bother. When the time comes to contribute to Civ4, I'll be there... for now I'd just rather focus on what we have and what we can currently improve (like the AU Mod).

Anyway, again, welcome aboard, and don;t be shy about asking "newbie" questions!
Hey Theseus you are talking about my thread . I am new here and I didn't read all the things before, so maybe a said something what was said before, but I got a little attention :P
Old January 26, 2003, 14:51   #18
Rasbelin
Emperor

/me checks where these newbiews are posting.

I see. Looks like you're all Civ III players.

Welcome to Apolyton!
Old January 26, 2003, 15:43   #19
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Re: Re: The forum
Quote:
Originally posted by Willem

I never experienced any hostility when I started posting at CFC. Actually, that disappoints me because I'd have happily taken on all-comers.
Old January 26, 2003, 15:46   #20
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: The forum
Quote:

I`ve heard rumors about this civfanatic forum. But let them grow old without recruiting new members, and in the end they`ll wanish and the apolyton forum will be the only true one.
This is the first I'd heard about it. The only real difference I'd noticed at CFC was a "no-troll" policy being enforced, but that's no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

I also believe CFC is actually growing faster than Apolyton. Chris or Lefty may be able to verify whether that's correct.
Old January 26, 2003, 15:56   #21
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:09
Re: Re: Re: Re: The forum
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I also believe CFC is actually growing faster than Apolyton. Chris or Lefty may be able to verify whether that's correct.
While that may be true, Indias economy is growing faster than the US one however....
Old January 26, 2003, 16:05   #22
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

However what?

Apolyton's registered members = 27,000

CFC's registered members = 26,000

At current rates, Apolyton is a month or two from becoming the smaller of the two.
Old January 26, 2003, 18:33   #23
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

CFC is vastly outpacing 'Poly in the Civ3 department. And 'Poly hasn't really a chance of catching up. Not that I care, CFC has no CtP/2/SMAC coverage to speak of.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Meh, there's no real discrimination because of your post count based user title.
Sometimes I don't read anyone's posts, settler, king, whatever.
Old January 26, 2003, 22:20   #24
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 12:09
Quote:
I never experienced any hostility when I started posting at CFC
Same here
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old January 26, 2003, 23:07   #25
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 11:09
Quote:
Originally posted by epics
THANKS MAN
But, have you noticed, we [settlers] are the only ones who post on the "Another unrealistic..." (and it's "unrealistic feature" )
Wish that were true. There are some oldtimers who seem to think "it's unrealistic" is the ultimate argument to use against anything in the game they don't like.
As for CFC, they keep a "newbie FAQ" stuck at the top of the forum and urge (sometimes strongly) people who pose "settler" level questions to refer to that FAQ before posting. Never seen them particularly rude about it, though. Their War Academy and tutorials seem much better organized than the equivalent teaching materials on 'Poly.
Old January 27, 2003, 00:15   #26
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Quote:
However what?

Apolyton's registered members = 27,000

CFC's registered members = 26,000

At current rates, Apolyton is a month or two from becoming the smaller of the two.
Good, let 'em all go to CFC and slow down their server.
Old January 27, 2003, 01:33   #27
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

Not that I care, CFC has no CtP/2/SMAC coverage to speak of.
Neither do they host other sites or have a splendid Alt.Civs section.
Old January 27, 2003, 02:00   #28
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:09
And last time I checked CFC does not even have a forum for Nation States.
Old January 27, 2003, 03:49   #29
Willem
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: The forum
Quote:

I never experienced any hostility when I started posting at CFC. Actually, that disappoints me because I'd have happily taken on all-comers.
I had a run in with a few of them awhile back. I was fed up with the "newbie patrol" and ended up with several people jumping down my throat over it. One of the mods ended up getting involved in it.

At least they've been more polite about it since then. I thought a couple of them were being quite rude to the newcomers. That's why I put in my two cents worth.
Old January 27, 2003, 04:07   #30
epics
Warlord

wilbill you understood me wrong with "have you noticed we are the only ones who post on this thread". You added there [settlers] ("...noticed we [settlers] are..."), but I was talking only about me and Albert