Old February 4, 2003, 22:07   #31
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 15:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
adapted ending of part I and the preliminatry starting of Part II (after the big listing of possible voting stories)

(BTW- is anyone other than vovansim reading this history? )

March 11th- The Lost Contest- only recently discovered on February 4, 2003... over 50 votes in the poll: http://apolyton.net/forums/poll.php?...ts&pollid=1750
with World at War, The Iroqious Threat, by Grundel winning with 9 votes, Generations I by WTE_OzWolf running in second with 8 and Ich Bin Ein Berliner by cbraund taking third with 6 votes!
This contest, run by steelehc, has been much neglected until now- and presumbably was dis****ed at the time; as OzWolf's Generations series later ran in the historic restarting by civman2000- and in this hiatus, steelehc had yet to receive confirmation as runner of the contest by MarkG.
Nevertheless, hist starting of the contest was important becuase it gave the impetus for the Story Contest to continue!

The Lost Contest was originally a radio button poll, but then on civman2000's suggestion, was altered into a checkbox poll so that more stories could participate.

On March 13, 2002, civman2000 proposed a voting for the best author on the forum, suggesing curlyboy and cbraund. That idea, however, did not go far.

Threads of Interest-

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=45845 (MORE ON STEELEHC'S CONTEST-SKILORD's First appearance)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=44639 (STEELEHC's CONTEST)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=44427 (THE LOST CONTEST! FINAL VERSION)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=44423 (The LOST CONTEST VERSION I)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=40203 (STEELEHC'S FIRST KNOWN STORIES FORUM POST... CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT GRUNDEL EVER HAD WRITER'S BLOCK? I CAN'T )
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=39328 (CAR ACCIDENT POST)
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/show...&threadid=38594 (THE LAST OF THE WEEKLY CONTESTS)
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=35746 "WEEKLY WINNERS"
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=40067 "REBIRTH" (Anatolia's Last post)
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=37673 (EARLY SUBMISSION RULES)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=35079 "FIRST STORY CONTEST"
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=34858 (GUIDELINES FOR CONTEST/VOTING PANEL)
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=33598 (MARKG's REQUEST FOR A STORIES CONTEST)
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...threadid=33793 (ORIGINAL RULES)

Part II

Later, on April 1, 2002, civman2000 took over the contest, posting the first round of the new contest.
On April 2,2002, civman2000 posted the new contest rules for the Stories Contest, adapted from Metaliturtle's Storywriter's union.
In addition, the contest was adapted to run on a monthly basis.

In this time, unfinished stories could be nominated. Jack_www was the first to complain about this. (In March)

Metaliturtle drew up some rules for a writers guild and had them adopted by civman2000 for the stories contest as a welcome to the forum.

Threads of Interest-

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=46383 (Civman takes over- 1st contest finals)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=50982 (Metaliturtle's Storywriters Union)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=47020 (Civman's first cumulative listing of the Story Contest's winners)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=46424 (civman's rules for the contest; adopted from metailiturtle)
Old February 5, 2003, 02:48   #32
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 08:11
We need to start the storytellers union up again. And maybe give the members a bonus in the story contest?
Old February 5, 2003, 11:52   #33
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:11
Yes I am following the thread and I applaud you both for all the work your putting in.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 5, 2003, 20:30   #34
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

thank you chrisius, Centarui.

-No bonuses however. It wouldn't be fair.
Old February 5, 2003, 20:48   #35
Centauri18
Prince

The bonus part was a joke, man.
Old February 5, 2003, 20:53   #36
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:11
That is if Markos creates the new civgroup...
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; February 6, 2003 at 23:19.
Old February 5, 2003, 20:54   #37
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

I should probably continue the Storywriters union as Metaliturtle and I are sharing gooberboob until one of us gets a different ISP that doesn't prevent cookies like AOL does.
Old February 5, 2003, 21:05   #38
TheGuitarist
Warlord

Local Time: 10:11
I knew it! I knew you were the Turtle reborn.

Most of your stories were so similar to Metaliturtle's that I couldn't help noticing.
Old February 5, 2003, 21:15   #39
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

hopefully I can come back in turtle form someday...
Old February 6, 2003, 16:26   #40
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:11
I knew you were he all along even though you denied it but even so its no problem. Hows your Gran.

Also Goober I think youve developed your style well of late.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 6, 2003, 20:41   #41
Centauri18
Prince

Huh. I should have known the 'turtle was back. I should have recognized the writing style. So are we starting the Union up again?
Old February 6, 2003, 21:48   #42
DarkCloud
staff

...I thought that some of your stories seemed familiar, Metaliturtle

Welcome back!

---
oh, vovansim- are you still planning to do the totals... just incase I get bored one day... I would like to know if I have clearance

Last edited by DarkCloud; February 6, 2003 at 22:07.
Old February 6, 2003, 23:21   #43
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Ummm... If you mean the numbers of stories in the contests for each author, and such info - yes, I am almost done with it, actually

EDIT: I have also now updated the list of top stories - including the links to the story contests, as well as steelehc's lost contest.
Spore page

Last edited by vovan; February 6, 2003 at 23:37.
Old February 8, 2003, 00:18   #44
DarkCloud
staff

Great Work!

Good note under the lost contest- but-

Quote:
Please note that the expiration date for the poll for this contest was never set. So, technically, you can still vote for the stories there. But since it has been so long, the number of votes will not be updated. Also, note that the top two stories are also mentioned in two other contests, though the shouldn't be. That is the case for the simple reason that the authors of the contests were a bit arrogant - steelehc chose to ignore the previous contests, and included all of the stories in his single one. And civman2000 chose to ignore the results of this contest, by dismissing it as unofficial. Thus, OzWolf's story participated in contest #1, also. For more on that, refer to the history of the story contest below
Could you please cut the arrogant stuff. they included them not because he forgot about the old contests, but because he thought that they should be included- what he did was ignore all the previous rules.

Saying the arrogant stuff sort of puts down some of our authors
Old February 8, 2003, 00:21   #45
vovan
Emperor

Sorry... I didn't mean for that to make it into the final post. That was director's cut, to be removed by the editor. Ummm... I was just checking if anybody actually reads that.

EDIT: updated.
Spore page
Old February 8, 2003, 00:27   #46
DarkCloud
staff

Okay, that's okay then. thank you for fixing it
Old February 9, 2003, 13:06   #47
DarkCloud
staff

Oh, another idea if you feel like it vovansim- could you please list the number of total votes that each contest took? Just so that we could get an idea of the total competition for each contest?

Thanks!
Old February 9, 2003, 13:13   #48
vovan
Emperor

Well, I thought that the percentage of votes next to the abolute number would give you a good enough idea of the total competition. I mean, if two stories win, one with (6 votes, 66%), and another with (6 votes, 25%), you have a pretty nice idea about competition. But if you think that the totals would still be a good thing to have, it wouldn't take more than five minutes to add.
Spore page
Old April 5, 2003, 15:43   #49
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I only have one story mentioned here. Land of the Brave for getting third place in contest 14.

Well, damn, I'll have to change that then.

I don't suppose Manifest Destiney has much chance though.
Old April 10, 2003, 23:12   #50
vovan
Emperor

Updated with the results of the two latest contests!

Wacky fact: Did you know that both of the last story contests were won by Chieftains?

(Well, technically speaking, #15 wasn't won only by a Chieftain alone, but also by yours truly, which was also an unprecedented occurance.)
Spore page
Old April 11, 2003, 22:28   #51
DarkCloud
staff

whew. thanks for doing the update

--
although I though we had ties before?

---
Just wondering, were you ever going to do your chart of the winners?
Old April 11, 2003, 22:31   #52
DarkCloud
staff

Very good list and links

---
Strange that it took 3 months to get contest 15 out of the way
Old April 11, 2003, 22:49   #53
vovan
Emperor

Nope, DC, take a look at the list, there have never been any ties for the first place.

Also, I have submitted the links and descriptions of some stories to the directory, though they don't show up, so I guess you need to approve them or something.
Spore page
Old April 12, 2003, 07:00   #54
SKILORD
King

I was reading thru this thread, I find it amusing that my first appearance is noted. I think I made my 'poly account originally just for this contest

Wasn't very good back there, looking back on my stories I notice that I've come a long way..... a damn long way.

Case in pont: My first story: Roma: Glory and Disgrace

Catchy title, but not really so good

And put that against Peacemakers..... whow. I've come far.
Old April 12, 2003, 16:10   #55
DarkCloud
staff

good reviews vovansim!

I just approved the two links you submitted- they work great
Old April 12, 2003, 16:12   #56
DarkCloud
staff

...The link to Contest 16 doesn't work, however, I just noticed.
Old April 12, 2003, 19:34   #57
SKILORD
King

DC:

I was wondering, since I rate getting my first appearance noted ( ) what are the odds that 'Blessed Be the Peacemakers' would find a link.

Unless it's disqualified by not being a Civ3 story...
Old April 13, 2003, 17:40   #58
DarkCloud
staff

nah. sorry. I'm trying not to plug too many stories I don't think I linked to more than 3 and probably shouldn't have even done that
Old April 14, 2003, 13:12   #59
SKILORD
King

It's alright..... I just wish I had something there.....
Old April 20, 2003, 01:50   #60
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 10:11
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Well I have something in the history w00t

Trogdor Strikes Again!