Old April 4, 2003, 05:51   #451
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Yes, because shard is far to powerful, especially since you have already stated that you wisah to use it for unscrupulous reasons, against the SETSP and against Green supporters.
I did? News to me.

Quote:
It is military technology, and should not be in the hands of non-military personel.
Why not? They're entirely capable of using it properly.

Quote:
As you should no, it does not matter which weaponry you use to repel "probing attacks".
Tell that to the people who actually have to do it.

Quote:
I did not even know our police were allowed to use guns?
You do now
Old April 5, 2003, 14:33   #452
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 15:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
/me walks in the rec commons, nerve staples manaic and runs away with some loot.....AGAIN!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old April 5, 2003, 14:49   #453
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
I did? News to me.
Yes you did.
Quote:
As a matter of fact, perhaps it might be a good idea for them to co-operate in suppressing Green dissidents and CCCP branches
Quote:
Why not? They're entirely capable of using it properly.
Quote:
Actually, they do get quite a lot done, it's jsut that no-one is ever quite sure what it is.
Yet since they do not known what they are doing, or have done, no-one can be held accountable. That is rife for stealing military secrets from. Something that inefficient and corruptable would be a sitting duck for anyone who wanted the equipment. And if they are trained in using military equipment, then they are military, and thus under my control, unless I decide to release them.

Quote:
Tell that to the people who actually have to do it.
I do, as DPO (and old DEI), I do this regularly. It does not matter what weapon you use, they are all equally effective against probing.

Quote:
You do now
On who's authority. Since I am in charge of all military, I have to agree to allow it to police.

The police have no need of top grade military weapons. It would be like giving cruise missiles and fighter jets to police on old earth, it just doesn't hapen, because there is no need. Besides, police security checks on top equipment is nowhere near as stringent as military ones. We wouldn't want the Hive infiltrators getting their hands on our Shard equipment would we?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old April 5, 2003, 18:02   #454
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:13
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
nerve staples manaic

Where are those Shard Squads when you need them?!
Old April 5, 2003, 19:48   #455
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 12:13
/me kidnaps DBTS to be held prisonner in the bowels of the CIAC.
We shall not tolerate such atrocities!
Old April 5, 2003, 21:40   #456
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Yes you did.
In case you didn't notice it the first time, that was struck out

Quote:
Yet since they do not known what they are doing, or have done, no-one can be held accountable. That is rife for stealing military secrets from. Something that inefficient and corruptable would be a sitting duck for anyone who wanted the equipment.
Do you want me to dig up the log of everythign they've done since their creation? It's not like it doesn't exist, it's just kept buried...

Quote:
And if they are trained in using military equipment, then they are military, and thus under my control, unless I decide to release them.
They aren't military units if they don't exist on the map, any more than our ordinary civilian police are (many of whom, btw, are trained in using light military weapons...).

Quote:
I do, as DPO (and old DEI), I do this regularly. It does not matter what weapon you use, they are all equally effective against probing.
You need to update your dictionary. I said 'probing', that is, they're sending small groups of people (armed with impact weapons, which should have been a dead giveaway...) to attack and see what happens. Not 'probe' attacks, which of course do not use weapons.

Quote:
On who's authority. Since I am in charge of all military, I have to agree to allow it to police.
On my authority. You control all military units, but not weapons.

Quote:
The police have no need of top grade military weapons. It would be like giving cruise missiles and fighter jets to police on old earth, it just doesn't hapen, because there is no need.
Actually there is; I've pointed that out before.

Quote:
Besides, police security checks on top equipment is nowhere near as stringent as military ones. We wouldn't want the Hive infiltrators getting their hands on our Shard equipment would we?
No, which is why we maintain very tight security over them. Considering you've never worked inside the organization, I don't think you have any real ability to judge how good it's security is...
Old April 6, 2003, 06:29   #457
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Well the police need to get up, stop talking, and do something, whatever weapons they have. Maniac has been nerve stapled in the most evil fashion - right here in the Rec Commons! What are the police doing? Nothing.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old April 6, 2003, 06:58   #458
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Is this in any way a threat to the security of New Apolyton or the UN Government in general?
Old April 6, 2003, 10:00   #459
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

No, hence why it is police business. If it is a threat to the security of our nation that is beyond police business. If the Hive are sending lightly armoured troops to attack us, that is a military issue.

I think you've taken 'policing' to something it is not. There is not a need, if people are that well armoured, then they are military units that need to be countered with our military, not with police.

A threat to the government involves special forces, not policing.

Old April 6, 2003, 11:17   #460
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 16:13
I agree with Drogue on this issue. Policing is to do with the control of our own citizens and law enforcemnt. External threats whether from other factions or worms, IODs or locusts are matters for the military and ipso facto under the authority of the DPO.
Old April 6, 2003, 13:56   #461
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

however, policing is your job as Chief Inspector, is it not?
Old April 6, 2003, 15:52   #462
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 10:13
Bah, don't kid yourself, the Dictator of Internal Affairs runs everything. Those lowly directors know better than to argue when offered *that* much Xenobrew and cash skimmed off our borehole and satt profits
Old April 6, 2003, 16:15   #463
Cedayon
King

*nudges post count up to 1000 with this post*

Well, with all the Emperors around I'm nothing special, but I get to wear a bigger crown now
Old April 6, 2003, 17:22   #464
Drogue
staff

Go Cedayon. How long did that take? Methinks I have the record for the DG so far

All Hail King Cedayon

Old April 6, 2003, 17:40   #465
Method
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cedayon
Bah, don't kid yourself, the Dictator of Internal Affairs runs everything.
indeed. i even got to arrest the commissioner
Old April 6, 2003, 20:04   #466
Cedayon
King

I reg'd in mid January, so it's been less than 4 months for me... I've kinda tapered off recently, or I would have hit 1000 more quickly. None of us have anything at all on Trip, though
Old April 6, 2003, 20:34   #467
Drogue
staff

Likewise. I think I hit it with about 13 posts per day (~2-3 months) but I went down a lot since. Trip did it because of all the DGs at once though. But come on, you're a King without a custom Avatar. This can't be right. Why no avatar or sig?

Old April 7, 2003, 03:25   #468
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

How about a competition to find an avatar for Cedayon?

*WoA starts rummaging through old .jpgs*

-Jam
Old April 7, 2003, 03:29   #469
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
No, hence why it is police business. If it is a threat to the security of our nation that is beyond police business. If the Hive are sending lightly armoured troops to attack us, that is a military issue.
So send us some damn troops, then see how your commanders react when they find they've got less troops to invade the Hive with... and this matter would fall under the jurisdiction of the SCCDF if it was a threat to the security of NA, since their job is to defend NA.
Old April 7, 2003, 05:22   #470
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 18:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Cedayon
*nudges post count up to 1000 with this post*

Well, with all the Emperors around I'm nothing special, but I get to wear a bigger crown now
Three months to King

I think it took me a year to make it to King... back in the good old days
Old April 7, 2003, 06:34   #471
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:13
Quote:
How about a competition to find an avatar for Cedayon?
I'd try - I see lots of good pictures in my travels - but I don't have a very good graphics manipulation program.
Old April 7, 2003, 08:53   #472
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 18:13
http://www.irfanview.com

Free, transforms formats (from .bmp to .png for instance), resizes and crops pictures. Colour, brightness, gamma and other altering features too. I could figure it out, so anyone can. I use it to actually view pictures too.

Oh, and the text-browser emulation feature of Opera7 is rather funky. Let me take a screenshot. (And, by Whoot, my own website looks perfect on text-only.)
Old April 7, 2003, 09:20   #473
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 09:13
/me pokes the nerve stabled Maniac... "borrows" some microcredits from him, and goes to play in the arcade.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old April 7, 2003, 09:23   #474
Jamski
Deity

HEY ! I was using Maniac as a table. Now you've spilt my Xenobrew.

*Puts Maniac in "Dog" position to make him a more stable table*

-Jam
Old April 7, 2003, 10:13   #475
Cedayon
King

I'm not an avatar/sig kinda guy, sorry
Old April 7, 2003, 14:42   #476
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:13
Bah! Taking such advantage of a poor nerve stapled person! Isn't anyone gonna help me? (I guess I can know the answer on that question myself ) I mean, the are starting to eat my toes.
Old April 7, 2003, 14:56   #477
Method
Emperor

/me pushes in DBTS, who is now under the control of an evil SETSP mind control probe.

now sir, are you ready to help maniac get un-nerve stapled? (however the hell you do that...)
/me orders the SETSP officer to nod DBTS's head up and down
ah, splendid. get to work!
Old April 7, 2003, 15:32   #478
Drogue
staff

/me ducks, as one of his intelligence teams seemingly emerge from the shadows and doorways of the Rec. Commons, grab Maniac from underneath WoA's drinks, and disappear with him, but not before catching every one of the drinks, mixing them, and handing WoA a new (and very tasty) "secret-agent-man" cocktail.

What was that? Did anyone see anything? Where is Maniac? And WTF is this drink? Mmmmm.... it's good

/me rushes outside, see's that his plan has worked, and Maniac is sitting on the Rec. Commons roof, a little dazed and confused, but minus one nerve staple. DBTS however, is nowhere to be found...

Old April 8, 2003, 02:17   #479
Jamski
Deity

Wha' wazh in tha' - hic! - Schenobroo?

*WoA slumps in a happy mumbling heap*

Ish wherry tashty - hic!

-Jam
Old April 8, 2003, 02:56   #480
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Drunkards.

* GeneralTacticus orders the Centralis police to drag WoA into a backroom and dunk his head in a bucket of water.