Old January 28, 2003, 11:18   #1
Legion General
Settler

Local Time: 09:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Have you been nuked by the CPU first?
My game details:
Regent, tiny map with 4 civs-Rome (me), Babylon, Greece, and Carthage.

Carthage had a large continent to themselves, one smaller continent with 3 towns and 1 tiny island.
Babylon, Greece and Rome shared a continent. Rome also had a small island.

The game went along with wars here and there. Very early though I invaded Carthage's second largest continent that had 3 cities as I said earlier. I took a massive force of some 26 legions with 2 settlers. I destroyed their cities and established my own.

Later in the game they had the necessary resources to build nukes. They declared war and nuked Rome, Constantinople and Byzantium. I had no choice except to fight and make peace asap. Before though I brought Babylon and Greece in with a mutual protection pact. They never got nuked. Babylon lost some cities and Greece had one destroyed.

Also has anyone noticed a bug when using nukes. The game locks up sometimes and instead of saying the city where the nuke originate from it says sea or ocean?
Old January 28, 2003, 11:41   #2
Twotech
Settler

Local Time: 15:16
maybe it says that it originated from the sea or ocean because it was launched from a nuclear submarine have to check that out
Old January 28, 2003, 11:44   #3
Legion General
Settler

I've launched directly from Rome and it has locked up.

I play PTW without the multiplayer patch.
Old January 28, 2003, 14:38   #4
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 11:16
If you mean the 1.14 patch, it's not just for MP - check the Readme file. The nuke bug may be one that the patch fixed.
Old January 29, 2003, 05:34   #5
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 16:16
Re: Have you been nuked by the CPU first?
No, I haven't, but it will be interesting to see! Well, I haven't played PtW to the end so much yet as I'm playtesting my personal mod a lot for the moment
Old January 29, 2003, 14:07   #6
miike
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:16
I have been nuken first, and then they nuked other AI civs too. I was playing the mongols, they were the Celts, Zulus, Romans, Chinese, and Sioux.

I was at war with the Celts for a long time. Out of the blue, they nuked my capital. Meanwhile, I had about 15 ICBMS and 2 Tactical. They had launched an ICBM. Right after they nuked my capital. The Zulu and Chinese declared war on the Celts. I counter striked with 2 ICBMS. One on their capital, one on another remote city that I wanted to take. Rome declares war on me. After the nukes, I roll in with tanks and take over both cities. I wait a few turns and get peace with the Celts. Meanwhile, I could not get anything from the Celts as far as tribule goes. I assume that they still wanted to fight. I proceed to wipe out the Romans. As I am doing this, the Celts start nuking the Zulu repeatedly. I mean multiple cities multiple times. Because Romans and Zulu were neighbors, I saw this. Also, when ever the AI launches nukes at someone you will hear the "whoosh" sound. And see the pollution around cities, even though, it is the fog of war. I wipe out the Romans, and then start wiping out the Zulu, they were already weak anyways. The Celts never nuked the Chinese, even after the Zulu were gone. I had never seen such use of nukes before by an AI civ.
Old January 29, 2003, 20:31   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 10:16
yes
Old January 30, 2003, 05:14   #8
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 16:16
miike, wow... must be amazing to observe...
Old January 30, 2003, 08:15   #9
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
hi ,

legion general , can you post a SAVe

have you tried to load the auto save and replay that last turns

in never hurts for a problem like that to email the SAVe to firaxis , .......

have a nice day
Old January 30, 2003, 14:26   #10
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:16
I had a PTW game recently lock up during a nuclear exchange. After I hit the end turn button, you can hear the sound of a nuke launch, but the game just hangs....never proceeds on.

Oh, and I have had the Persians nuke me first.
Old January 31, 2003, 12:09   #11
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Romanus
I had a PTW game recently lock up during a nuclear exchange. After I hit the end turn button, you can hear the sound of a nuke launch, but the game just hangs....never proceeds on.

Oh, and I have had the Persians nuke me first.
hi ,

same as above

have a nice day
Old January 31, 2003, 13:55   #12
steven8r
Prince

Legion General,

Yes, the AI has nuked me first. TheMongols (I was Korea) droped a nuke on 2 of my largest cities. However, my allies (which was everyone still left in the game--6 vs 1) retalliated for me. America droped about 5 nukes on the Mongols, then the Iroquois launched a few more. I didn't retalliate w/ nukes however. I wanted to save my nukes in case America or Iroquois got any ideas about attacking me.

I have noticed that if you have luxuries, a city on the brink of Civil Disorder after being nuked will generally have a WLTKD (as soon as you can get a road to them, or airport or harbor.)

It's kinda sad, but being nuked seems to be one of the better ways to bring the populace back into line.

I have also had the game hang just before a nuke hit. I could hear the sound but the rest of the game locked-up. I was able to quit the game and reload from the AutoSave folder and it generally would get past that point.

NOTE: I haven't experience the 'Nuclear Freeze' since installing the latest patch (1.14f). The patch seems to fix that bug.

EDIT for spelling.