View Poll Results: What is your greatest wish for the next title in the Civilization series?
Make it real-time. Turn based games are so 90's. 2 0.88%
Civ 4 needs tactical combat like Empire Earth and Rise of Nations. 9 3.96%
The AI is everything. 74 32.60%
It's about time for a Civ game to have functional multiplaying from the beginning. 16 7.05%
A better trade and resource system is what Civ 4 needs. 43 18.94%
Civ 4 should have an intimate atmosphere. Add some feeling! 45 19.82%
I'm thinking of something else... 33 14.54%
I don't want Civ 4! 5 2.20%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 14, 2005, 23:20   #121
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Local Time: 15:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great reply,

But where did the Scotti tribe of Ireland that gave the name of modern Scotland fit in after they invaded it?

The arguement in the UK was only whether he existed, and if he did, was he Welsh or Cornish? I assume that means his base was in one or 'tother as a starter, if it is in modern East Anglia, I'm shocked- what nation are you learning the history of the modern UK in?

The Oxford University History of Britain states that during the Roman era, the very last natives of Briton within modern England were destroyed, the Angles and Saxons thus gave us our name at a later date. (I always laugh at my countrymen cheering England at Football matches- whom do they insult when playing modern Germany, Denmark, Norway, France and Italy?)

A recent BBC series called "What did the Ancients do for us?" which followed other series but in different era's, has cast doubt on just how dark the dark ages really were to Europeans- I saw just one half of one programme. (Soil conditions in S.England rot most timber, but they found a 3-ton capacity boat from that era showing at least a healthy trade to the mainland along with "advanced" metal working for the day on another site, just as "Utzi"(?) has shaken up History in general.

Still, no firm evidence Arthur existed! I do wonder if it was a myth. One day Albion might let us know from her soil

(A member of Parliament recently claimed Robin Hood was from Wakefield, and received death threats as as result from the other counties' inhabitants- how silly.)

Civ 4?

For the English I'd like King Henry VIII- what a history he has, and thanks to the Spanish who created the Royal Navy for him, (as an Island nation.) Elizabeth would have been nothing were it not for that.

Toby
Toby Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2005, 07:18   #122
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Toby Rowe

The Oxford University History of Britain states that during the Roman era, the very last natives of Briton within modern England were destroyed, the Angles and Saxons thus gave us our name at a later date.
I'd be suprised if they said that the last natives were destroyed, given that some of them managed to move to Wales- Anglo-Saxon 'wealas':

" The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle:

473 Her Hengest Æsc gefuhton wiț Walas genamon unarimedlico herereaf, ța Walas flugon ța Englan swa țær fyr.

473 This year Hengist and Aesc fought the Welsh and siezed countless spoils of war. The Welsh fled the English as one flees fire. "

http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/a...nquotesasc.htm

The Welsh refers to the Britons, not to the modern day inhabitants of Wales, whose Celtic name is the more familiar Cymri- as in Cumbria, which was Celtic too.

" The people of Rheged were of ancient Celtic stock and called themselves Cymbrogi or Cymri, meaning "brothers". This is the source of the words Cymri (Wales), Cumberland and modern Cumbria. "

http://www.rheged.com/templates/index.cfm?id=34

The Britons also emigrated further afield- to Brittany, and Celts also resettled in Iberia, bringing with them the Celtic Christian church.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
molly bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2005, 11:19   #123
biru biru
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 00:18
Doc Zoidberg, dig the icon. cheers mate!
Old May 5, 2005, 07:05   #124
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Hi mate,

I know little of this era.

The book I drew my knowlege from says this:

"~We can only say that there seems to have been a British war-leader called Arthur, who was associated with the battle of Mons Badonicus and subsequent campaigns"......."the last man to unite the former Roman province before it collapsed finally into a patchwork of British and Anglo-Saxon states. So general is our ignorance of major political events that there seems little point in speculating further"~

"The hardest task is to estimate British survival in the regions which were firmly Anglo-Saxon by 600"~

"~More generally, the Romano-Britons simply suffered a common fate of shattered societies"~

Roman era:

"~Significantly, the English word 'Wealh' ('Welshman', i.e. Briton) came to mean "slave", making it hard to know whether the place name Walton means 'the Britons' settlement' or 'the slaves' settlement'. However numerous, they were subservient: little of their culture passed to the Anglo-Saxons, and almost none of their language"~

If not mistaken, in the top 100 most used words in English, only 4 are ascribed to the original language- but all are in the "top 10" I think 'the' is original, whilst 'to' is 'tu' from the Vikings?

"~What had happened to the native peoples? 6th-century Scotland was still mainly Pictish, though the settlements of the Irish (the future 'Scots') on the West coast had created a settled kingdom, Dalriada. Centuries later, a King of Dalriada was to initiate the formation of a united Scotland"~

"~The main British enclave was, of course, Wales."~

All extracts taken from "The Oxford Illustrated History of Britain", Edited by Dr Kenneth O. Morgan, 1986, Book Club Associates by arrangement with Oxford University Press.
All quotes from: Ch 2. The Anglo-Saxon Period by John Blair.

One of my Uncles researched our family tree back to about 1800, whilst we also have Scottish and Irish branches, we have no connection to Wales at all during this time- yet we are all, on the English side probably descended from her. Who said Offa's **** was to keep us English out!

Toby
Old May 5, 2005, 10:28   #125
curtsibling
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation

Local Time: 16:18
Extra units and the provision to custom-make mods and scenarios from all eras.

In short, massive moddability!

curtsibling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 11:03   #126
foxfire4321
Settler

My one true wish is that they finally do something with the oceans in the game. I liked that CTP/CTPII allowed you to colonize the water, heck the technology is present in the endgame of Civ by implication (colonists on the SMAC/AX mission already know how to colonize the water). The Civilization series has used water as a barrier and transport system only... I want my Sea Colonies (the reason I still play SMAC/AX, but not Civ3 so much).
Old May 5, 2005, 11:10   #127
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 17:18
My wish is for them NOT to unclude sea colonies. That is one of the features I really hate in SMAC/X and ctp1/2
Old May 5, 2005, 11:39   #128
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

In SMAX, the Pirates was the best faction around. I'm all for it in SMAC2, but in civ... It should be in an eventual future era if implemented.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 11:45   #129
foxfire4321
Settler

I defintely feel that Sea Colonies should be very late game developments, but I feel that some utilization of the oceans should be intergrated.

One thing that should also be integrated is the ability to play the game in a window. A lot of us have way higher resolution screens than this game will require and systems easily capable of dealing with the game and other things at the same time... please let us move the thing into a window (makes it easier to hide it from the other employees )
Old May 5, 2005, 11:52   #130
Nikolai
Deity

A window mode would be great, but I doubt it'll happen...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old May 5, 2005, 13:30   #131
alms66
Prince

Local Time: 10:18
Quote:
Originally posted by foxfire4321
My one true wish is that they finally do something with the oceans in the game. I liked that CTP/CTPII allowed you to colonize the water, heck the technology is present in the endgame of Civ by implication (colonists on the SMAC/AX mission already know how to colonize the water). The Civilization series has used water as a barrier and transport system only... I want my Sea Colonies (the reason I still play SMAC/AX, but not Civ3 so much).
I certainly wouldn't want to see ocean cities like in CTP, but (assuming resource quantities) fishing in coastal waters & oil rigs could be used in the ocean. Even without quantities on resources, rigs could allow access to oil in the seas, as a sort of "colony" on the resource.
alms66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 13:40   #132
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Edit: to Nikolai.

Alt-tab is your friend.

Last edited by DrSpike; May 5, 2005 at 13:51.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 14:40   #133
Nikolai
Deity

Oh, I know. But a windowed mode would be great, if not a top priority. That's one thing Civ2 does better than Civ3.(and now I can expect a little flame war on Civ3, or what? )
Old May 5, 2005, 14:57   #134
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Nikolai, you've got it all wrong... not having windowed mode was one of the things Civ3 did better than Civ2
Old May 5, 2005, 15:20   #135
Nikolai
Deity

Your opinion. I think the interface of Civ3 was horrible.
Old May 5, 2005, 16:44   #136
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I agree that the interface of Civ3 was horrible, but it was still better than Civ2
Old May 5, 2005, 18:45   #137
Nikolai
Deity

Then we can agree to disagree.
Old May 6, 2005, 09:49   #138
foxfire4321
Settler

A Windowed mode would take care of the artifacts you get when you "Alt-Tab" during a game. This results from the fact that most games run nowhere near the resolution of my monitor and therefore they shift the resolution while they are running.
Old May 6, 2005, 14:29   #139
Max Sinister
Warlord

I didn't play that much CTP, but why are sea colonies that bad?
Max Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 15:26   #140
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

They're just boring and in the end kinda eliminates the "point of water" meaning that you can have cities everywhere on the planet
I don't like to have cities all over the place, that's just ugly and gives you too many cities to take care of and too many cities that needs to be conquered
If you want to play a map where water doesn't make much difference in the game just play a map where there's little water at all
Old May 12, 2005, 01:07   #141
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Underwater cities?

One of the most daft idea's ever: Civ is meant to represent the real world, not a sci-fi one.

I laughed when I saw that; Want an underworld?- buy Sci-fi.

Toby
Old May 12, 2005, 16:31   #142
TechWins
King

Local Time: 08:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Adagio
My wish is for them NOT to unclude sea colonies.
TechWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 16:33   #143
TechWins
King

Local Time: 08:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
A window mode would be great, but I doubt it'll happen...
I don't think it would even be feasible with a 3D engine. Fullscreen mode allows for faster rendering and with a 3D engine a windowed mode would probably be far too slow. In light of Civ3, the last thing Civ4 needs to be is any slower.

EDIT: Although I do prefer windowed mode when practical.
TechWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 18:23   #144
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:18
I want to see my civ in the greatest detail possible....that will mean full screen. I never ran Civ2 in a windowed mode. If I really need to get to some other information, I'll ALT-TAB... better yet, fire up the laptop for those other tasks.
Old May 27, 2005, 06:28   #145
biru biru
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Looks like there is a lot of information about civ 4 coming out. Wishes to be fullfilled? If they were fishes, there's a trout or two worth fryin up maybe...
Old June 4, 2005, 17:50   #146
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Toby Rowe
Underwater cities?

One of the most daft idea's ever: Civ is meant to represent the real world, not a sci-fi one.

I laughed when I saw that; Want an underworld?- buy Sci-fi.

Toby
Something which shouldnŽt be a problem if you had a switch called "SciFi-Mode"
This way people like you could swicht it off and play the standard game which ends within the very near future,
whereas people like myself could switch it on and play a game which also includes the far future, just like CtP1 and 2 did.

As there are enough players of both styles of play, the people who prefer a history extending into the future as well as people wishing to end their game with todays technologies, this would be a great way to keep all of them satisfied
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2005, 23:11   #147
KyuuA4
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:18
I - for one enjoy - water. I play on both Civ 2 and 3 Archipelago maps with 70% water on the Largest map possible. That means clusters of continents seperated by a lot of water.

By the way, I hope Naval warfare is handled by the AI a little better. It pleases me to know that Civ 4 will not allow the AI to know where everything on the map is.

It was darned annoying sending out a privateer; and suddenly, all these enemy ships home in on it.

Why is France a Civ.?
KyuuA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2005, 23:21   #148
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

that it works....
Old June 4, 2005, 23:34   #149
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:18
probably the best wish that can be made for Civ4. Simple, but yet, so important.
Old June 5, 2005, 05:18   #150
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Given that the thread is the greatest wish I think Paddy is aiming rather low.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote