Old January 29, 2003, 03:16   #1
Mike the Nuke
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Treaties. etc between Human Players in Hot Seat
Have been unable to perform any diplomatic operations between 'Human players' when playing a 'Hot Seat' game. We get the contact screen, but can't type anything in it. Also, unable to build an embassy in any county/civilization duirng the game. It asks us if we want to when we gain the knowledge of (writing, I think). Normally we say 'no' then, as we may not have the 'gold reserves' and it is too early in the game to benefit. Yet, later, we have no way of doing it. How is it done.

When communicating with AI ('hot seat' games), you never get an option to offer a piece treaty, etc). You seem to always be limited by only being allowed certain options (peace treaties, alliances are not one of them). Unable to negotiate anything between human players in 'hot seat', no peace treaties, alliances...nothing. Read the book, but it is either vague or I'm missing something. We currenlty are experimenting with all the options of the game (in 'hot seat' mode) and these are some of the 'stumbling' areas we've come across.

Thanks to 'Wolf' we now know how to use our own 'user created maps' in the PTW game. Thanks.

Old January 29, 2003, 12:01   #2
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 10:19
Re: Treaties. etc between Human Players in Hot Seat
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike the Nuke
Also, unable to build an embassy in any county/civilization duirng the game. It asks us if we want to when we gain the knowledge of (writing, I think). Normally we say 'no' then, as we may not have the 'gold reserves' and it is too early in the game to benefit. Yet, later, we have no way of doing it. How is it done.
To build embassies later you must use the espionage screen. There should be a button labeled "E" on the right side of the screen (the button for Espionage). Click on the civ you want an embassy with, chose diplomatic mission, build embassy. Click the box next to where it says how much gold it will cost and then click the ok. If you click the "D" button above it (diplomacy) it just asks what civ you want to speak with and brings you to the negotitation screen.
Old January 31, 2003, 17:07   #3
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:19
Mike,

The Embassy Question has appeared in several posts, but here it is again. BTW, Argos65987 is correct, you can build an Embassy from the Espionage screen--click on 'E' button on the Info Box in lower-right corner of screen, or hitting 'Shift + E' keys.

You may also build Embassies by dbl-clk on the Star on your capital city. (Must have Writing to be able to build embassys.) This will bring up a box that says something like, "Build an Embassy where?" and offer choices of civs w/whom you have contact.

About Peace Treaties/Alliances. I don't know as much about MP, but from what I've seen they are basically the same. Unless you are at war with someone, you have an 'understood' peace treaty. You don't need to negotiate peace because you're not at war w/ the civ.

As for Alliances, you have to have Nationalism before you can negotiate an MPP. As far as miitary alliances, you have to be at war with a civ before you can negotiate an alliance agaist them. (Or, upon negotiating an alliance against a civ, war will be declared.) There are no 'peaceful alliances' in civ--MPP's excluded.

If you go to the Trade Screen with a civ, you can click on "Active" down at the bottom of the screen to see which deals you currently have w/ this civ and how much longer they will last. You will see 'Peace Treaty' on this screen if you have just met this civ (and not tried to kill them--at least not right away). This info is also available from the Foreign Advisor screen (F4) by clicking on 'Details' Tab then click on a civ.

Hopefully this info helps somewhat.
Old January 31, 2003, 22:00   #4
Mike the Nuke
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:19
Thanks. Believe it or not, we never noticed the little letters 'D', 'E' , etc next to the turn box. After reading your reply, I also found a mention of it in one of the manuals for the game. It was sort of 'glazed over' in the book, but easy to find once I realized what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. This really helped. We are continuing to experiment with the game and learning more of it's workings as we go