Old February 2, 2003, 14:56   #31
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 10:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
"The world will be run by those who show up."

-attributed to one of the Greek philosophers.
This is probably the quote most related to C3DG...

Namu!~
Old February 2, 2003, 14:58   #32
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 17:21
hi ,

"low intensity operations cannot be won or contained by military power alone . they require the application of all elements of national power across the entire range of conditions which are the source of conflict ."

US army , tradoc

have a nice day
Old February 2, 2003, 15:02   #33
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

GhengisFarb,

I like the artillery quotes!

(hell, my father was once a U.S. Army artillery officer...)
Old February 2, 2003, 15:04   #34
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 09:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
GhengisFarb,

I like the artillery quotes!

(hell, my father was once a U.S. Army artillery officer...)
My father-in-law was an Artillery Officer, and I should be one come commission time in August.
Old February 2, 2003, 16:31   #35
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
My father-in-law was an Artillery Officer, and I should be one come commission time in August.
You get to spend lots time marching in Oklahoma.... have fun!

As for me... I decided a long time ago not to follow my father's career path initially into the artillery... but rather into other areas of national security at least for the time being. Political work is awesome, but getting some inside-the-gov't work would be useful over the next few years.
Old February 2, 2003, 17:06   #36
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

You get to spend lots time marching in Oklahoma.... have fun!
I live in Oklahoma.
Old February 3, 2003, 07:43   #37
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

"no training , in any amount , could have prepared us forthe actual trials and tribulation of combat ; combat is its own finishing school . but we learned , slowly but surely ."

Gary Linderer , L comp , rangers , vietnam , 1969

operational doctrine ;

"certain fundamentals remain unchanged throughout history"

"attack audaciously"

"brief and to the point"

"keep it simple"

"issuing orders is about ten percent - ninety percent is in execution"

"position supplies near the battlefield prior to operations"

ask "what if this happens ?"

the last two are lessons that are still not optimally reflected in our game , .....

have a nice day
Old February 9, 2003, 06:26   #38
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
My Sig.......

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Quite appropriate given current world events in Iraq

Last edited by Hot_Enamel; February 9, 2003 at 06:52.
Old February 10, 2003, 11:59   #39
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Some funny quotes:

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a brain by mistake, since for him the special cord would suffice. - Albert Einstein

Yes we love peace, but we are no willing to take wounds for it, as we are for war. - John Andrew Holmes

When all men think alike, no one thinks very much. Walter Lippman

A bookstore is one of the lonly pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking. - Jerry Seinsfeld

Anyone that wants the presidency so much that he'll spend two years organising and campaigning for it is not to be trusted with the office. - David Broder

Oh, that lovely title, ex-president. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Our patience will achieve more than our force. - Edmund Burke

A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer. - Robert Frost

The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take civil service examination - Ronald Reagan

If you can remember anything about the sixties, you weren't really there - Paul Kantner

I want to be Robin to Bush's Batman. - Senator Dan Quayle

No, I don't need protection. Bye! - Derek Sauer

If Lincoln were alive today he'd roll over in his grave. - President Gerald Ford

The other thing we have to do is to take seriously the role in this problem of older men who prey on underage women. There are consequesces ... - President Clinton (1996)

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Last edited by Aidun; February 10, 2003 at 12:19.
Old February 10, 2003, 18:34   #40
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 11:21
Like that last one Aidun

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old February 10, 2003, 20:25   #41
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Not really a quote but an interesting commentary I received via email today:

I thought you would enjoy these comments regarding one of your "favorite"
countries!

The Complete Military History of France

Gallic Wars
- Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

l">Hundred Years War
- Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who
inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies
are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman."

Italian Wars -
Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians...

How many times has Apolytonia beaten France? Did we beat out the Italians' record?

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; February 10, 2003 at 20:35.
Old February 11, 2003, 07:47   #42
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 16:21
It all started when French Neanderthalians where defeated by a bunch of Homo Sapiens Sapiens coming from Monaco, 8 000 years ago ...
Old February 11, 2003, 09:34   #43
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

"even the tallest tower begins with the first stone"

"there are so many worlds , and i have not yet conquered even one"

"if i had the power to remake the world ... ahh , but that is a folly"

"one clear example is worth more than a warehouse full of inscribed clay tables"

"i know the situation . just tell me what's changed"

"there is no city of gold"

"we do not inherit the land from our ancestors ; we take it from those who defend it poorly"

"give me a hundred fierce and loyal warriors , and i will bring peace from horizon to horizon"

"it is a persuit and study of the natural sciences that mankind provides the greatest evedence of his nobility , of his spark of the devine"

"the measure of a great ruler i the monuments she leaves behind"

"cities are like towers treat them well - but not to well - and you will get what you want from them"

"roads , mighty armies , and happy citizens - these are the foundations of a strong army"

"you can not please everyone , but if you rule the routes of trade and have the world by the throat , it matters less"

"i never for a moment lose sight of my divine mission . everthing else is a means to that end"

"every detail - the bending of a branch , the shift in the path of a bird - is significant to the wise leader"

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; February 12, 2003 at 07:30.
Old February 11, 2003, 10:20   #44
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
"there are so many words , and i have not yet conquered even one"
I think that the correct quote is "there are so many worlds".
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 11, 2003, 15:04   #45
lmtoops
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Quotes from comedian Steven Wright:

I woke up one morning and all of my stuff had been stolen.. and replaced by exact duplicates.

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.

Half the people you know are below average.

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. (Think about it some more.)

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread.

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.
Old February 11, 2003, 15:40   #46
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

They're all great. I've seen a number of these in other peoples' signatures. This guy must be a genius.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 11, 2003, 18:12   #47
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Shiber,

That is actually Christine singing/saying that in the play TO the Phantom...(your sig...) One of my personal favorite singers too...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old February 11, 2003, 18:31   #48
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 16:21
Imtoops, I am laughing out loud alone (everybody sleep here) ! This guy is great
Old February 12, 2003, 02:04   #49
eewolf
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:21
greetings

i have returned to your shores once again. it seems you have prospered.

this thread contains many wise, informed, deep and humorous quotes from a different world. in a different time, i started a thread here and was surprised and fascinated by the response. here are some of my favorite quotes from your world:

eewolf "what makes you think that those prospering by slavery will want to give it up later? ethics comes with a price. and you cannot buy in later."

UnOrthOdOx "I really expect that what will happen here will likely follow the history of the world."

Duddha "The computer also doesn't care if we're nice. It will kill us all the same and if we are destroyed I don't think any of us will be satisfied that we died with honor."

eewolf "to say "nothing matters more than survival itself" is to lose before taking your first step. it will become the continuous battlecry of the strong persecuting the weak."

civman2000 "Face it, civ is a realpolitik game"

eewolf "letting the context be decided by the game is: easy and convenient. what happened to courageous?"

Togas "One does not contemplate the ethics of sacrificing one's own units or killing your opponents units to win a game. One only considers how best to win."

panag "look you , if you dont stop with that ethic stuff you shall be banana-ed to death , are we clear"

ManicStarSeed "The game is the context. Without it, ther is nothing."

eewolf "you have held elections and put together documents and charters, started parties and coalitions, etc. that goes way beyond pushing pixels around a screen."

eewolf "i did not expect the game to care. i expect it will do what it already does. but on the thinking end of things, possibilities arise."

UberKrux "panag is my hero "

skywalker "it is completely ethical to do anything whatsoever to a unit in a relatively unrealistic simulation. IT IS NOT REAL."

Sheik "Winning is made more difficult because the ideas of one administration are different from the ideas of another."

MrWhereItsAt "We are however, in this Democracy format, much more deeply involved than ever before, and I certainly hope everyone considers this idea very seriously."

MrWhereItsAt "I may not always vote for your ideas, but I strongly, strongly support you pushing this to everyone."

Trevman "The problem with your ideas is that right now we might not even achieve the lesser goal so an honorable win seems to be ridiculous."

eewolf "i don't use america as my standard-bearer. it would strike me blind."

Andreiguy "Let's not frighten Firaxis too much or they might just take out Communism, Despotism, workers, heck, Anarchy and all military units for that matter in Civ4. We can have SimCiv, the lovely game about a happy place."

Trip "We are playing no one but ourselves, and we have but ourselves to look to when it's all said and done. Are we satisfied merely with victory at any cost?"

OPD "I want to play a game where i can be supreme overlord and take over the world by doing whatever I want."

Guardian "Yes, it is a game, but it's a game in which a lot of things actually happen in your mind, and not just on the computer screen."

Guardian "I know they're not real people, but I imagine things! What is this game without imagination anyway??"

OPD "Thats the thing about people taking the moral high ground, it encourages others to so the same to prove that they're not immoral *******s"

OPD "This thread is very dangerous for us."

mtgillespie "In my opinion, ethics are not something which should be imposed from above, they are something which comes from within."

eewolf "while you may view this as escapism, others may not. and even if they do, their idea of escape may not fit yours. in this is the challenge and the beauty of this democracy game."

eewolf "in democracy, one has to be ready for new and different ideas. and change."

Andreiguy "Precisely because it isin't really proven, people should argue. Arguing is good, always, even if it brings up controversial topics, that's what these threads are for."

Trip "And the reason we're involved in this is because it is more than just a game. Why have 170 people joined in on one 'game'? Don't you think there's something more that matters?"

ManicStarSeed "The concept that "we can't afford morals" applies for now, but we can (and should) build up our moral currency. "

ManicStarSeed "We can make the game more than CIV3 which we already play. This is an oppurtunity to be different."

Captain "Just because it doesn't affect game mechanics doesn't mean it doesn't matter."

Captain "Any time there is a gathering of more than one individual, we have entered into a social contract, written or unwritten. "

Papa Chubby "If we intend to be moral and ethical then one of the first must certainly be that our word is our bond. Not our word is our bond until the temptations are to big or the SMC advices against it."

jdjdjd "The point is to challenge us beyond the normal game. The code can be added to over time, but once in the code, it has to be followed without exception."

Robber Baron "Building a "civilization" is dirty work, it seems.."

UnOrthOdOx "If we play and win using any means, is it truly a victory? We have argued that the AI does not consider such things, are we no better? Are we, the humans, who have learned from history, to be held to no higher standard?"

mmtt "A roleplay movement started by this govnerment. Eewolf proposed to go one, one step further. One step further into immersion, into a deep world of imagination. In a world we control from far, in front of our screen, and in another world we are a bunch of crappy people, in the dawn of the world. Isn't fascinating?"

GoodFella "Don't think for one instant that the French aren't think of killing us and taking our beloved bananas right now."

minos "So, in summary, don't lock us into ethics without any options, because it's the decisions and debates that make civ fun!"

notyoueither "Do you want Apolytonia to be a moral beacon for the next 4000 years? Stick around and convince everyone that the high road is the road to travel."

eewolf 'look inward and answer. and stand."

--------
that thread created a lot of happiness for me. i thank everyone who participated and i congratulate all who created this "game".

sincerely,
eewolf

"craven a go choke puppy"
Old February 12, 2003, 07:29   #50
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber

I think that the correct quote is "there are so many worlds".
hi ,

checked , and its true , must have been a typo , ...

thanks Shiber

oh yeah , they are all Quotes from the CIV III manual guys

have a nice quoting day
Old February 12, 2003, 07:32   #51
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

eewolf , man thats great , what did you do , write the most funny things down over time , ........

there is definatly SIG stuff inthere

have a nice day
Old February 12, 2003, 08:24   #52
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:21
wow and not a single quote from me in that huge list of eewolf's..... typical.

just kiddin
Old February 12, 2003, 08:32   #53
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic

just kiddin
hi ,

now there is a quote , ......

have a nice day
Old February 12, 2003, 09:25   #54
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Overquoted
[quote] Originally posted by Aidun

Quote:
Originally posted by Aidun

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic

just kiddin
hi ,

now there is a quote , ......

have a nice day
Overquoted

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old February 12, 2003, 09:45   #55
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

eewolf, it is great to see you again.

I don't know of anyone who has sparked such intense debate, yet you have only graced us with your presence a few times...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old February 12, 2003, 10:14   #56
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Shiber,

That is actually Christine singing/saying that in the play TO the Phantom...(your sig...) One of my personal favorite singers too...
I know, but 'Phantom of The Opera' is the piece from which it's taken. You're right though, it's somewhat confusing, so I'm gonna use quotes to clear this up.
Btw, you have an excellent taste in music.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 12, 2003, 10:38   #57
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

pfft,

I listen to everything. But, my wife and I shared our first kiss at the intermission to that show, so it has a special place in my heart.

Still can't wait for the new Sarah Brightman CD supposed to come out this spring...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old April 11, 2003, 22:39   #58
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Recent Quotes from Iraqis (and I didn't make them up)
Quote:
"Iraq will not be defeated. Iraq has now already achieved victory - apart from some technicalities."
-Mohsen Khalil, Iraq's Ambassador to the Arab League
Quote:
They're not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any
place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are
trying to sell to the others an illusion."
- Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information
Quote:
"NO, We have retaken the airport. There are NO
Americans there. I will take you there and show you. IN ONE HOUR!"
Quote:
"You can go and visit those places. Nothing there, nothing at all. There are Iraqi checkpoints. Everything is okay."

They should give this guy his own news program, I would watch it.

Of course this is the best one of all (pay close attention):
Quote:
"It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles and I don't know why they were fired into Kuwait."

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; April 11, 2003 at 22:46.
Old April 12, 2003, 11:58   #59
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

" everything changed with the end of the cold war .
up to then we knew what we had to do and who
the potential enemy was and we could train and
prepare accordingly . now it's all guesswork . "

general Sir Pater Inge , chief of the defense staff , 1996

have a nice day
Old April 16, 2003, 17:01   #60
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 11:21
Nice GF

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con