Old February 12, 2003, 22:50   #61
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
CDG?

You are posting your story at three forums at the same time?
Spore page
Old February 13, 2003, 09:58   #62
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 15:21
Creative Design groiup, not a story forum, go there for my America MOD in easier downloads.
Old February 13, 2003, 10:04   #63
SKILORD
King

good news for you who want a chapter soon, i'm using snippets of free time to compose a way longer chapter(s) on the notepad.
Old February 14, 2003, 04:53   #64
SKILORD
King

Well a freind talked me out of her ("She won't say no, but in the end you'll wish she had"), and I didn't get my car back (bloody mechanics) so my weekend plans are pretty much blown to hell.

I'll get a chapter up this weekend.
Old February 14, 2003, 08:27   #65
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 16:21
Well never mind young, SKILORD youve got plenty of time to meet a nice young lady, and as it is with most of us chaps there will come a time in your future when your wife is nagging you to talk to her instead of playing your silly games, and writing your stupid stories all the time, and your kids keep arguing with eachother and making loads of noise so as you cant get any GODDAMN PEACE anywhere. Daddy Darrels just hit me on the head with his skateboard, Yeah dad but she pulled my hair first blah blah blah blah on and on and on it goes oh please lord get me out of this madhouse.

I suppose what Im really trying to say is never mind and make the most of a bad situation while you still can.

As for the wife and kids well I wouldnt want to be without them really, well not all the time.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 15, 2003, 01:04   #66
SKILORD
King

Chapter 5: Adversity
A legion of pikes pointed out, calling to their enemies. The men watched proudly, the red falcons upon their chestplates marked them Caeser's men. They were unafraid of the great beasts of war across the field, the Romans had long known the secret of Elephants....

Archers, armies, sat atop those elephants, watching, unassured by their surroundings, a general feeling of unease pervading their moving camp. A sea of boundless might set to clash with that rock, Pompeii.

Pompeii had long been the fortress of Caeser, built upon a great hill the Legions themselves had laid the groundwork for the settlers who came to conqure later. It was the pinnacle of Roman millitary might, of the brilliant engineering the people of that small empire enjoyed.

Fluffy white Clouds watched the scene dispassionately, as an uncaring sun magnanimously shed it's beams upon the feild for the armies to draw blood by.

-

Shiva and Mars eyed each other unsteadily, a feirce rage apparent in the flaring eyes of one party, he was more than prepared to rend his opponent to peices.

His opponent was Anugrahamurti, the merciful.

Samaharamuti had not manifested, the destroyer had elected not to fight this battle, the Merciful one had found himself alone, a hundred names he bore, but they would not be called tonight.

A sword was in his hand, but he was no war god, a horrific staff, fitted with a flame shaped blade on the end, not a roman weapon, but Mars' weapon of choice nonetheless, a belt holding his gladius (who can spell in Latin?) hung wearily from his hairy side, his long dark beared lifted in an angry grin.

"You have become quite the bully Shiva, first the Japanese, now....." he opened his arms wide, guestuering at the battlefeild they now held alone.

"There is little choice for the righteouss, we must survive, and to survive is to conqure, in this wold."

Mars laughed, "You could surrender now Anugrahamurti, there is little hope for you in my blade."

His head defiantly facing upwards Shiva spat.

"To survive is to conqure," he repeated.

"I'll enjoy this." Mars intoned.

-

From one side of the long, virgin battlefield to the other the armies charged, an angry red sea of Pikemen building a quick wall of their weapons against the charging elephants.

The sun had left, Apollo's chariot had ended it's cycle to rest beyond the great clouds which roared thunderously. The sound of Zeus's angry javelines rocking the world as a cradle. The cracks of light against the dark clouds lit the world, as the tears of angels were shed upon the once bountiful field.

But the riders had mostly dismounted, swords were drawn and the brave Indians forced their flesh past the pikes, past the death around them. When they closed there was no stopping them, death had found it's way to many sections of the Roman line.

But for the most part that line held, a wall of Iron and blood against the attackers. The elephants were harassed until they stampeded away, leaving an army of once mounted swordsmen behind and in their wake dead soldiers.

The Red Legions cheered. As victory lay seductively before them.

-

Metal clashed on metal, Shiva's sword lifted just in time to keep the deadly staff at bay. He backed away, a hasty retreat, sensing Mars's strength, knowing he couldn't match it.

Mars cocked his head, watching Anugrahamurti amusedly. Suddenly he charged forward, staff high shouting in an uncontrollable charge, the heavy Halbeird weighting his arms impossibly the axe came down, and Shiva's feeble sword rose to the challenge, prepared to take some of the great strike.

With incredible strength Mers stopped the Halbeird, shifting it's spin in the opposite direction, smashing Shiva's knee woth the blunt end, Shiva collapsed.

Something suddenly felt right, even as Mars continued to amuse himself, prodding the Indian God's body violently. For the first time in the battle, Shiva knew he could win, he felt a new presence within himself, a rising manifestation nearing culmination angrily, woken from a great slumber by the urgency of the situation.

Samaharamuti suddenly felt quite in control of the situation, as he began to prop himself up, even as the blunt blows fell mercilessly.

-

Ribbons of blood composed the dress of mourning, even as thunder lit the evening. Many a weary soldier crawled to the battlefield to held the land against their likewise weary counterparts, a dull silence pervaded the field, the birds were silent, most having died, only a few clangs of metal sounded wher halfhearted charges met half dead defenders, the positions mattered little now, they only gave the illusion of battle. The now red grass was more exciting to watch than the twin forces that faced each other.

-

"I'm in command now."

His was a confident voice, reinforcements often felt they could overcome that wich some inadequacy in their forebears had left undone. The new general was little different. He was young, clean shaven, a shining smile rare in his times matched with a golden hair rarer still in his dark italian nation.

"General Octavian, I understand you feel a certaint..."

"I feel," the newly arrived general cut in," That your men are unsuited to the task at hand. They are waiting for the Indians to make a mistake, we cannot waste our troops in such a way, while the Empire is at war. Pompeii is not alone in it's struggles, there are other cities out there." The voice became demeaning, challenging the intelligence of the man who had stood so long with his men outside Pompeii, had for so long, in Caeser's eyes at least, failed Rome.

The older man, his age exhaberated by lack of sleep and food looked down, in Japan he would have thrown himself upon his sword, but in Rome they were civilized, he could only wish he had that option as the ancient Legions took to the battle.

"God help us...." he muttered, finally beyond Octavian's control.

-

"Auxiliaries?"

"Uhhhh..... no sir," the assistant looked down at his crude wax tablet, still favored by the legatus's of the conservative roman army, "All the troops are purebred Romans."

"Good," Octavian was more than a little against the presence of other races in the army, they served their purpous, true, but they were an unpretty compromise until Romans could master all the skills of war.

He watched the men trudge into a sorry attention, their aching muscles unable to pay homage to his greatness, or so he thought.

"We are here today, to kick some butt...." he nodded at his own brilliant prose, his personal stenographer took it down quickly, soon it would be in every Roman newspaper.

"I promise you victory men, defeat isn't a n option for us. We will fight like ducks!"

A few mutters proved sufficiently that the army was, in fact listening to him, out of his line of vision the stenographer added the new quote.

Octavian giggled like a teenage girl as he watched the confused expressions.

"Just making sure you were listening," a general sigh came forth suddenly.

"Here's my plan, you guys," he pointed at the Pikemen who had kept the lines for weeks," are going to be renamed, the Cleanup crew, your new job is to get the Legionairres," he indicated his own men," whatever they need."

A growl began silently, but began nonetheless.

-

Suddenly the shaft broke. Mars looked curiously down at his victim to find a pair of flaring eyes looking back up at him.

"Ahhh, sh*t."

His Gladius leapt from it's scabbard and suddenly swung at Samaharamuti, who dodged it lazily.

A punch landed in Mars' solar plexus. he staggard back as Shiva's legs began an onsault to his face.

He picked up his sword from where it had fallen, as Mars regained equilibrium and prepared to parry. The blades came at supersonic pace, parry and thrust intertwined delicately in a dangerous dance.

Mars was wounded, slashes to the arms and legs had bled him weak, he began to fall back.

A stag suddenley knocked Shiva back, just as he found Mars falling.

Cerrenuos began to laugh, watching the frustration on Samaharamuti's face.

-

Ghandi looked up.

"What now?"

he was tired, long nights had taken their toll, hard days had robbed him of more, bags had formed under his wrinkled eyes.

"Ummmm... not good sir."

Ghandi sighed.

"Get it done with, i've been expecting it."

"The, ummmm, well the Celts..."

The crumpled paper, which had traveled many journeys, finally collapsed upon it's destination.

"oh... oh my."

Last edited by SKILORD; February 15, 2003 at 01:11.
Old February 15, 2003, 01:12   #67
SKILORD
King

Long enough there?

CFC's edition ill take a while. It is in the works.
Old February 15, 2003, 06:45   #68
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Brilliant stuff SKILORD the best chapter yet!! this is really getting good and Im loving it dude.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 15, 2003, 07:15   #69
SKILORD
King

thnx Chrisus, i should hope that it was good, took a good long time to write.
Old February 15, 2003, 07:18   #70
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

It was excellent, but dont let me stop you from getting on with the next part
Old February 15, 2003, 07:24   #71
SKILORD
King

not tonight my friend, and I have to write the CFC edition first anyway (vova would notice if it didn't show up, though noone at CFC would)

EDIT: Damn, it's not night anymore....

Maybe I shouldn't yhave staid up so late.....

Last edited by SKILORD; February 15, 2003 at 07:55.
Old February 15, 2003, 12:42   #72
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Absolutely astonshing! Both the quality and the quantity. Many a thumb up on this one, SKI. And yes, I do notice that the CFC version isn't up yet, but let me tell you, if you are going to do half as good a job for them as you did for us, I am ready to wait. (Not too long, though. )
Spore page
Old February 16, 2003, 16:02   #73
SKILORD
King

Good news if you're reading the CFC edition, their alternate 'Adversity' chapter will be up thyis afternoon (since snow and hail has locked me at home)
Old February 18, 2003, 01:59   #74
SKILORD
King

vovan, the CFC chapter is up, and is, if I do say so myself, damn good.
Old February 18, 2003, 18:16   #75
SKILORD
King

Well, I expected to get a chapter up this afternoon as I had a day of absolute blessed freedom.

Events have rapidly turned against me in this particular theater, as I must now attend a job interview. (My 1st)

Wish me luck, and tell me what you think about the CFC version of Ch. 6 (It even got some feedback from them, eother that or my constant moaning
Old February 18, 2003, 18:21   #76
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Good luck with the interview SKI, Ill pop over to CFC in the next couple of days and check it out
Old February 18, 2003, 22:21   #77
SKILORD
King

Actually it went quite well (for those of you who wonder) And I'm taking a drug test tomorrow .

Actually it should be rather easy, i'm a pretty clean kid....
Old February 18, 2003, 23:21   #78
vovan
Emperor

Is that drug test also job-related? Good luck on that one.

Oh, and get writing.

Spore page
Old February 18, 2003, 23:59   #79
SKILORD
King

I will, not today or tomorrow maybe, but I will.

The drug test is because they don't especially want people like that... god alone knows why, they've always been decent towards me.

If I pass the drug test i will have a jobin the Entertainment sectorably selling tickets at the little boothy for moviegoers. (A pretty kickass job actually, compared to stuff like baggin groceries ) The funds are going towards a particular summer program that i received an invite to today, something at Cambridge....

The next chapter is in the works, i want to have some fun with Gen. Octavian in it, and I probably will, he seems like a fun guy (As the villains go) His counterpart will also be introduced, but i need some Indian names.

The battle between the gods is going to be great, I'm working on refining it night and day (The mind never does rest) and it will be the best one yet.

It will be, all in all,m a long chapter. It will also take a while to compose.

It will be worth it.
Old February 19, 2003, 00:18   #80
vovan
Emperor

Hey, like I said, if the next chapter is going to be as cool as the last one, I would be willing to wait, as long as I know you aren't forgetting us.

And you are right - they don't want druggies selling tickets to little kids coming to the movies now do they?

Spore page
Old February 19, 2003, 03:27   #81
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Take it from me SKILORD if you want to get on in life then you dont need things such as drugs getting in your way and holding you back, and the best high ever is the pure adrenaline of LIFE.

Ive always found I can get my kicks etc from energetic activity ie Hiking, Climbing, and generally having real fun not a synthetic form of it. Good Luck
Old February 19, 2003, 23:18   #82
SKILORD
King

I understand chris :

I'm not so much of an anyway, i took the test, and I gotta be in on Friday night to get to work.

Before then you should have a chapter.
Old February 20, 2003, 19:34   #83
SKILORD
King

This afternoon i was dragged back into the CFC demogame, I didn't have the time to do that stuff half right, and I have no story yet, and it may take till the weekend (I'm still trying to get my car back too, which consumed much of the day) I will have another chapter soon.... I hope.
Old February 24, 2003, 17:18   #84
SKILORD
King

I got away from CFC, I'd write a chapter tonight but mustt..... work.

:sorry: It's half done right now, I just need a little inspiration to finish it.
Old February 25, 2003, 17:21   #85
SKILORD
King

Chapter will be up today, it seems I have lost my following, but I shall regain them with the following chapter.
Old February 25, 2003, 23:53   #86
SKILORD
King

well it just didn't happen.

I've had a tough day, gimme a break (Noone else has... and it was supposed to be my day off )

sorry.
Old February 27, 2003, 01:27   #87
SKILORD
King

Chapter 7: Of Gods, Generals, and Greatness
The three dieties eyed each other as rival wolves, pacing sideways in a circle, their eyes never faltered, never blinking.

Blood dripped from Shiva's sword, curved in the eastern style, the blood of Mars had yet to finish dripping. Bruises had already begun to cover him, but he didn't care now, Samaharamuti was above pain.

Blood matted Mars' hairy sides, his well used arms were red, but the blood had stopped flowing, and he walked, holding his gladius low, ready to stab at any who would approach him.

Cerrnunnos was unharmed, his long broadsword bared to the world as he held it before him with both mighty hands. Sweat had already graced his brow, but that was all that had come from his pores, his blood was unshed. Cthconic hissed as it spiraled madly about his arm, avoiding the mighty sword.

A sick, pregnant silence hung between the three, mutual hatred long hardened, a respectful disgust.

Tension mounted against it. Like a dam preparing to break it's final stand was heroic, but doomed to failure. A hateful glance shot out from Cernunnos to the Destroyer. A broadsword lifted to the sky as a war scream escaped.

-

The Army was here at long last, any stranger ould have felkt it in the air, and even if he couldn't any villager would tell him. They were screaming it from the pitifully short rooftops as things were.

Brave men with virgin arquibuses (sp?) trudged through the snow laden streets. Their muskets hung loosley at their side, great respect held them there, even as the villagers begged for demonstrations, these men had seen what the muskets, primitive though they were, could do.

The sun sat frozen in it's distant realm, it's burning rays rendered useless, it's great might dwindled to nothing by that icy dress that the earth had cloaked herself in, a wedding garment as the planet hurtled into destiny.

-

The sword fell with a collasal crash, it slippped away from the god it had missed, and watched as Shiva's blade shattered slowly, like glass feebly attempting to rally another minute from it's long dead parts, as they scattered on the ground, silvery fragments of greatness, reflections of the god that had once held them.

Shiva looked down to the scattered blade, realising his weakness he moved sharply out of the path of Cernunnos's blade. Mars hung back, watching the bgattle proceed, biding his time.

The broadsword laid Shiva on the defense, his own reflexes barlely a match for the mighty blows that swung constantly.

A blow landed to his shoulder, and a sickening crunch informed him that he was in dire straits, he didn't have time to look at his wounded arm as the next blows began to land.

There was no help in sight.

-

Gahndi's bow hung limply, impotent at his side, he held it now at all times even as he prepared to speak with his men, men who had long granted him every confidence, even as he lucked his way through his early years of war.

He turned and opened his mouth, as words prepared to come. A sick feeling suddenly took him. Shiva was somehow endangered. He could feel the immortallity of his breath slipping away, he could feel the strength of his own sides falter, and droop, his head hung low a prophecy came.

The room fell silent as the men watched him in his trance. Gahndi fell to his knees as they watched, entranced.

Suddenly, minutes after he had begun Gahndi rose up, placing a hand before him to steady the rise, a look of utmost confidence and hope in his eyes he looked to the men, seeming to adress each one in the eye, as an individual and not as a member of the army.

"Let us pray." he intoned, drooping again before the people.

-

Shiva was laying down again, swords edge lashed his side mercilessly as his shoulder screamed in the unforgettable pain of a badly broken bone.

And then it stopped.

Shiva didn't know how it came to an end, how the healing overtook him, dominating him as Cernunnos had only moments before. The blows felt light, futile. They fell, soft as raindrops as Samaharamuti found himself no longer humbled, but brought high before the perplexed Celtic god.

He picked up his blade as it reformed itself faithfully. He looked up to Cernunnos.

A hand extended calmly, immune to the flurry of blows that Cernunnos offered. The sword at it's tip glimmered the reflection of light eternal, that of a God in full control of his powers. The battle would begin again. Shiva swung the sword back and lashed down on the broadsword.

-

The battlefield had long since been veteraned. Knighted by those who bore that cross of war, baptised in the blood of those who deemed her worthy to be their final grounds of rest. Honor and Disgrace, glory and pain, all were hers to remember, the scars sat beside those wounds which still bore infection, where soldiers presently lay in wait for his foe across her dark expanse.

Celts hated. They knew not why, but deep within their souls they bore some indeterminable marking which dissociated them from that world which desired peace. Celtia had first brought forth war on this scale, war for total victory, rather than limited means of peace treaties. War was for conquest, war was for hate. War was lifesblood itself.

Arrows shot desperatly to fulfill their fleeting lives as they darted across the field. Neither side could get a grip[ on the other, through that murky mist which settled ominously above that ancient field. Flames sat idly atop torches, waiting with an infinite patience for that time at which they would be loosed.

Bows were strung on the Indian side of the field.

Gahndi peered into that murky light, the grey veil hid those enemies from him who would hide. His scout drew near to wisper in secret tones.

"The Celts draw near, They hide between the hills. The are like a snake slithering across the field."

"A snake? We shall simple have to take the hoe to them then," Gahndi frowned," where do you think they shall arrive?"

The scout pointed, the days final rays lead to a spot upon a hill where a defense could be mounted to drive itself into the very heart of an attacking force.

Yes, India would stand or fall there. He would stand alongside her.

-

The officer's sword whipped it's blunt side upon the desk.

"Are you listening, Legatus? Your position is not so high as to render you immobile."

The laid back man ignored the threat to his position. He was a brilliant officer, soon to approach Centurion's ranks. This idiot could knock him down, but he would simply rise back.

"Yeah, I guess I did hear. But it's a stupid plan."

"WHAT!" The General was enraged. He would have slapped the other man sharply for impudence with the sword in a nother nation, but this was Rome. "You shall follow my orders."

The Legatus sighed, pulling himself up and leaning over the batllefield map.

"You see the reserves here, they are unharmed as of yet. Our Catapaults cannot find their barracks. Intelligence asserts that there are reinforcements on the way for the enemy, we have none to offer," save you, the young officer thought, but he held his tongue. It was the same in his eyes anyway," We cannot, at this point, faorce a retreat upon them, I have missed nights of sleep pondering how to deliver the final strike. It cannot be done. I reccomend simply pulling back to Pompeii, taking solace in her walls and pounding them from there."

"Surrender, Retreat, these are not options for men such as us!"

He had had enough. He rose to his feet, looking Octavian in the eyes firmly, his teeth bared his words were spoken on the edge of biting.

"We, are not men of the same sort... You are a fool, and a fancy one at that. I am a realist, and a militarry Genius. You may reprimand me for not being humble. i dare you to. Because I quit. I know exactly what I am worth, and it is more than the whole Legion you brought here. I bid thee, I bid Rome, farewell."

Octavian sputtered.... "Judas.... don't...."

"I shall, I must. Fools are not for men such as I to tolerate."

Watching victory ride, it's white flag held high proudly, to the enemy camp, struck Octavian with a profound sense of defeat. Things had not yet played out. But the day was lost.

-

The swords clashed wihth thundrous sound and electric power. The two gods faced each other with utmost rage and hate, all tempering respect was lost. Mars watched in amazement as the two parried and swung faster than he could folllow. His sword was hanging low.

Blood had found it's way to Cernunnos. His hip was split open and every swing was pain to him. Blood pulsed only through Shiva's veins, he healed as he was harmed.

Suddenly they were atop Mars, the third god was caught amongst the raging fight, his gladius swiftly seeking his protection.

The Thunder raged on above.

-

The Celts had ended the prayers of the Indians. The positions had been unexpected, and the Celts had been as surprised as their opponents. Army had met army in awkward battles, arrows were slung confusedly across the lines.

Supplications, praise, all ended their journey heavenward as the battle began, as the sword rose to the hand, and the armies marched across the field towards each other. A false sense of finality pervading the air.

-

The broadsword fell upon Shiva, who began to laugh, as he had begun doing when the futile blows landed. A red streak marked it's landing. A pool of blood formed atop the skin. The curved blade began it's assault once more, unfettered by the failing of the invincibility.

Cernunnos noticed, though, and so did Mars.

As did the stag, which bounded towards the finally wounded god....
Old February 28, 2003, 17:00   #88
SKILORD
King

:sob:

readers... all .... gone.....
Old March 1, 2003, 01:46   #89
Space05us
King

Local Time: 03:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That didnt keep me occupied long. GREAT story. Quit that "job" of yours and get back to writing!!!

Old March 1, 2003, 06:04   #90
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 08:21
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. THis is a very interesting story.