Old January 29, 2003, 20:47   #1
Narulas
Settler

Local Time: 15:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PTW Problem
Alright, I just got PTW...and it does not install properly. At around 7 percent complete it stops and gives me a Component Transfer Error. Anyone else experienced this and know how to fix it? I already got a new copy and get the same message...
Old January 29, 2003, 21:40   #2
Narulas
Settler

This is what it tells me:

Component transfer error
Component: Program_Files
File Group: Game Root Files [ENGLISH]
File: F:\data2.cab
Error: Incorrect Function

Now I ain't no computer whiz and this just confuses the hell out of me. Please help. I run Windows XP on a HP pavilion 503x if that helps any.
Old January 29, 2003, 21:50   #3
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:22
What version of the Civ3 game do you have (ie, English, French, etc.)? Is it the same language as your PTW version? Also, this might sound like a stupid question, but - You do have Civ3 already loaded on your system, right?
Old January 29, 2003, 21:56   #4
Narulas
Settler

I do have Civ 3 installed and both are the US versions...
Old January 29, 2003, 22:01   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Well, you might not like this answer...

But I suggest that you totally uninstall Civ3 from your system, do a restart, then re-install Civ3, and install PTW.

I know that it is a pain, but it is the best way to make sure there are no corrupted game files on your system.
Old January 29, 2003, 22:18   #6
Narulas
Settler

Alright, I uninstalled CIV 3 completely, rebooted and installed again. Still get the same problem...
Old January 29, 2003, 22:24   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

I hate to mention this, but IMO, it looks like you might have an illegal version of PTW that you are trying to install. Did you buy your PTW from a store or did you download it?
Old January 29, 2003, 22:26   #8
Narulas
Settler

I bought it from a store.
Old January 29, 2003, 22:26   #9
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Narulas
Alright, I uninstalled CIV 3 completely, rebooted and installed again. Still get the same problem...
It sounds to me like you might have a bad disc. I'd say that CAB file has been corrupted somehow. You should take it back to where you bought it from and try another one.
Old January 29, 2003, 22:28   #10
Narulas
Settler

I already did that, second copy still gives the same error message.
Old January 29, 2003, 22:36   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Wait a minute. Narulas, you have already taken back the PTW disc to the store and the same thing happends with the new replacement?!

Why am I having difficulty swallowing this?

My suggestion is for you to delete your downloaded version of PTW and go out and buy a copy of the game.
Old January 29, 2003, 22:41   #12
Narulas
Settler

It ain't downloaded, I spent my hard earned damage deposit money on this thing, heh.
Old January 29, 2003, 22:46   #13
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Well, in case you are on the up-and-up, maybe someone else has some insight to help you out Narulas....but I've tapped my knowledgebase out.
Ciao.
Old January 30, 2003, 06:30   #14
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 16:22
How's your CD-ROM-drive? Maybe it's getting old and tired...
Old January 30, 2003, 06:45   #15
bigfree1

There was the other guy on another board saying the same thing; except he confesed it indeed was a boot-leg copy! By the way he wasn't able to get it installed, he finally gave up and purchased it!

Old January 30, 2003, 18:02   #16
Narulas
Settler

It's quite legitimate, as is the Civ3 copy. The CD-Rom is new, the comp is new.
Old January 30, 2003, 18:50   #17
MattH
King

What has Firaxis/Infogrames said? Try callling/mailing them.
Old January 30, 2003, 23:42   #18
Narulas
Settler

Alright, I e-mailed Firaxis/Infogrames and the problem is most likely related to the cd-rom. Apparently the one on the computer I use says Atapi and it seems that's a bad thing. They recommeded I find new firmware, but I don't know what that is or where to find it...Can any of you help?
Old January 31, 2003, 04:12   #19
MoonWolf
Prince

Atapi is just a sort of a standard. I find it strange if it's the firmware, but you can try.

First, you need to find out the brand and model of your drive. If you have a pre-build computer, check the manual or the brand's website. If you have built it yourself, you should know now it..

Next, go the website for the producer of the drive, find support/download and find your drive. If the firmware is available, you should find it here with instructions how do upgrade your drive with it.

Often you need to boot you computer via a bootable DOS-floppy or -CD to boot into a clean DOS-mode and lauch the upgrade from there.

What firmware is: Firmware is a kind of BIOS to the drive. It contains information about it (model, speed etc) and instructions how it works. An example of this, is the cracks that some people have made to make DVD-ROMs zone free. They have written firmware for the specified unit that tells the unit it's multiregion (region 0)

What kind of OS do you run?
Old January 31, 2003, 06:25   #20
Narulas
Settler

I run Windows XP
Old January 31, 2003, 06:58   #21
Narulas
Settler

Alright, I would like to nominate myself for the idiot of the year award. I was sitting around brooding about not being able to play my Play the World copy when I had a rather novel idea...Why not stick the CD in the CD-write drive...and what do you know, it installs perfectly. It's this kind of thing that makes me wonder if I should lay off the booze...
Old January 31, 2003, 07:13   #22
MoonWolf
Prince

But it still seems to be a problem with your CD-ROM though... Maybe it's faulty even it's new... Good luck!
Old January 31, 2003, 15:12   #23
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:22
Quote:
Originally posted by MoonWolf

But it still seems to be a problem with your CD-ROM though... Maybe it's faulty even it's new... Good luck!
MoonWolf,

It's probably not a problem w/ the actual drive, but the drive letter assigned to the drive. I've found that if you have multiple CD drives (CD, CD-RW, CDR, DVD, whatever) most games (that check the CD for validity) will only install from one drive--usually the lowest letter.
Old January 31, 2003, 15:23   #24
steven8r
Prince

Narulas,

ATAPI is an acronym for something that I have since forgotten the name of. It is a standard for connecting hard disk drives and/or CD drives to an IDE connection.

Don't let anyone tell you that your having an ATAPI drive is the problem--they're just blowing smoke.

If you have an IBM compatible computer, you are using ATAPI CD's and HD's (unless you use SCSI--in which case you'd probably know).

ATAPI is the standard. Don't let them try to 'snow' you.
Old January 31, 2003, 16:17   #25
Narulas
Settler

Well this is wonderful...The game (PTW 1.14) crashes every single time after only a handful of turns. It gives me some error message concerning Civilization3X.exe...
Old January 31, 2003, 16:31   #26
Narulas
Settler

Hmm. Doesn't seem to crash when played from the write drive either. Maybe it is that letter thing...
Old January 31, 2003, 16:49   #27
steven8r
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Narulas
Hmm. Doesn't seem to crash when played from the write drive either. Maybe it is that letter thing...
That shall become your 'install/play disk' drive.

Don't use the other one for installs or games. You can still probably use it for music or whatever, just don't install or run games (or other programs) from that drive.

Glad to hear that it's working now.

Enjoy the game.