Old January 30, 2003, 00:49   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 15:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Our first anniversary.....
Guys....it's been a long, long road, and also, an extremely satisfying one.

As I sit here tonight, exhausted from yet another round of creating stuff for the game, and given that our one year anniversary came and went not long ago, I started reflecting on that a bit.

Just over one year ago, in a crazy whirlwind of dissatisfaction with the state of the gaming industry in general, this idea....Candle'Bre, was born.

At that time, I had noooooo idea whatsoever what I was getting myself into, and I can honestly say that had it not been for a number of brave, enthusiastic, stalwart believers, we would never have come as far as we have.

Will we succeed, in the end? Will Candle'Bre ever be fully realized?

Even today, I don't really know the answer to that question.

But so far, a year and change into it, we've proved our detractors wrong, and as you might remember, there were a lot of detractors.

Their voices weren't really a unified chorus, though.

They ran the gamut, from well-spoken words of caution (and perhaps even hopeful, guarded enthusiasm) all the way through to calling us complete fools, and pretty much telling us we'd never get out of the proverbial gate.

In the latter case, I'm happy to have disappointed the naysayers thus far, and with a dash of luck, we'll continue to do so.

One thing is for certain, at this stage of the game. There WILL BE a Candle'Bre. It's being born right here, with the help of the creative, enthusiastic people who watch this forum, and back on our development site, where we work every day, slowly bringing the threads of the game together....slowly weaving out Candle'Bre's tapestry.

It's been a long road, and there are so many more miles left to turn, but in looking back....in comparing where we started to where we are right now, with the Beta Release finally verging on becoming a reality, I can honestly say that I have nothing but the deepest respect for the tireless dedication of each and every member of the team, and nothing but pride in what we're creating together.

Candle'Bre isn't going to be "just a game." It's already a lot more than that, and it's still in its infancy. It's a work of art.....a new kind of expression, and when we finally put the Beta in your hands....when you run installation routine and load the game for the very first time, and are hit with that majestic, soulful music, it is my hope that the full weight of Candle'Bre's history will settle over you like an ageless mountain....immersing you in it....combining with each of you, and truly making you a part of the world we've created together.

Here's to another year filled with magic and wonder....here's to everybody who's helped us get where we are today....and finally.....most importantly....here's to Candle'Bre....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 20, 2003, 14:07   #2
XarXo
Prince

Re: Our first anniversary.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Guys....it's been a long, long road, and also, an extremely satisfying one.
Hey Vel, WHAT are you suggesting with THAT?
Old February 25, 2003, 12:50   #3
oberstein
Settler

Keep up the good work!
Thus far it looks fantastic; an engaging backstory, the thrill of seeing the game itself evolving, and of course the connection to Apolyton and our faith in Vel (which arises from reading his guides and posts!). Goes to show what the internet can do by way of putting people in touch, ne?

So...just posting to keep things going and to express an interest. Keep up the good work, hope that we'll continue to hear about this as it continues.

Best wishes!
Old February 26, 2003, 10:57   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Xarxo - I'll never tell....

and Oberstein! Thanks for the kind words, bud! Yep....it's been quite the adventure so far, and it's only getting more interesting as time goes by! I'm 100% sure that we'll not be able to please everybody, but I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised at what the upstarts have been doing.....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old March 3, 2003, 04:54   #5
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 07:22
logos
this seemed to be a good thread to drop these by.....

The simplest, and probably my favorite
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	vgbw.gif
Views:	166
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	38746  
Old March 3, 2003, 04:55   #6
NeOmega
Prince

a little more complex....
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	velocigamesbw.gif
Views:	165
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	38747  
Old March 3, 2003, 04:56   #7
NeOmega
Prince

thrid favoritist.... but not by far......
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	vgrodiron.gif
Views:	164
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	38748  
Old March 3, 2003, 04:57   #8
NeOmega
Prince

and this one didn't turn out so well....
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	vgstone.gif
Views:	163
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	38749  
Old March 3, 2003, 05:03   #9
NeOmega
Prince

and smaller looks
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	4vglogos.gif
Views:	161
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	38750  
Old March 3, 2003, 09:42   #10
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I rather like the third one myself, with the second as the best 'simple' version. Excellent Neo!
Old March 20, 2003, 13:27   #11
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:22
I know I'm a bit late for the party ( ) but anyway I'd like to congratulate all you guys for your hard work so far and I really hope that Candle'Bre can bring us all lots of hours of enjoyment in a not-so-far future.
Old April 15, 2003, 21:37   #12
DLN
Settler

Howdy Vel! I thought it would be a hoot to make my first post on Apolyton in the Candle'Bre forum. I've been watching from a distance, checking in periodically to watch the progress. Its fantastic. When I popped in today and saw that it has been a year, well, dang. I just had to register.

Congrats to you and the development team. Carry on!

Daniel
Old April 16, 2003, 01:16   #13
Velociryx
staff

This wouldn't be THE Daniel, from the glory days of the Renaissance Portal, would it? If so, it's been far too long, Brother! And welcome! Glad you've been following our progress.....still TONS to be done, but today I saw our first "pre-screenie" combining the latest terrain graphics and our new buildings....she looks awesome! Better every day....when it's ready, I think it'll pleasantly surprise....

-=Vel=-