Old January 31, 2003, 15:14   #181
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
paiktis, saying that 80% of the EU are against the war is like saying that 80% of the EU is in favor of keeping Saddam Hussein in power.

Why do 80% of the EU favor keeping Saddam Hussein in power?
Old January 31, 2003, 15:19   #182
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 17:23
whats your IQ again?
Old January 31, 2003, 15:20   #183
Bereta_Eder
Settler

80% of EU against the war and thats the way it is
Old January 31, 2003, 15:24   #184
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Ok, then explain why.
Old January 31, 2003, 15:25   #185
Bereta_Eder
Settler

because 500.000 people being killed for oil is wrong
Old January 31, 2003, 15:28   #186
Ned
King

Paiktis, of couse killing 500,000 people for oil is wrong. You will not find even one person in the US even who will disagree with that statement.
Old January 31, 2003, 15:32   #187
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Quote:
Ok, then explain why.
In the European public opinion, it is considered obvious that Saddam Hussein isn't a threat, and that the war will only serve US's imperialistic interests, while spilling blood of Iraqis.
The media-brainwashing is rather oriented towards the oil interests here, rather than explaining how evil Saddam is, and why we should carpet-bomb Baghdad for the good of the Iraqis
Also, it is here clear that Bush always find new reasons and new evidences to justify a war, while he's simply playing Empire.
Europeans tend to dislike the sheer stupidity of the "Crusade" from the "Good Ones" against the "Axis of Evil". We have had enough religious bloodbaths in our history, and we don't want this nonsense to be used again.
Many Europeans are sympathetic to the Palestinian cause, which doesn't raise the popularity of America, especially of American warmongering against Arabs.

And most Euros just don't like spilling blood, because we deeply know how much it hurts.

Edit : bolded. The fact that Saddam isn't considered as a threat here simply explains why the war has no support. All other arguments explain why the war has so many opponents.
Old January 31, 2003, 15:37   #188
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 15:23
80% of the US populace didn't want involvement in WW1 or WW2 look what isolationism led to.

If the EU is truly wanting to be a world power it needs action, not internal bickering.

Truth is US is the only world power that can project its will in distant lands.

I take exception to those whose view is that the EU's sole purpose is to act as a block to the growing US hegomony. The US and the EU must act as partners full and equal in order to act in the common interests that they supposedly have. Those being the spread of democracy, human rights, etc.. Simply acting contrary for contrariness sake is the worst approach as the two sets of nations have more in common than opposition.

Best article I've read on US motivations for war. See here .

While self serving it also is what the US believes is the best interests for the world at large. The EU if truly dedicated to those ideals would subscribe to that philosophy.

Instead it becomes apparent that France is taking a stand for reasons of continued declaration that they are a world power and will not kowtow to US will and secondly for reasons of economic gain as their trade relationship with Iraq grows.

Germany chose the tact as it was politically expedient in election years to become anti-american in lightof the growing muslim population segment.

Blair's influence on GWB has been admirable, his attempts to get the US to break its unilateral rehtoric is commendable.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 31, 2003, 15:42   #189
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 11:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

why we should carpet-bomb Baghdad

DO you really think we're going to carpet bomb bagdad???

After 9/11 they kept saying "dont carpet bomb Kabul" We didnt carpet bomb Kabul. We did have b52's drop a bunch of bombs on some taliban positions and everyone said "SEE thier carpet bombing, just like we said"

Expect the same this time - no matter how good we do at minimiizing harm to civilians the usual gang will talk about the US atrocities, and will twist evidence to get there.
Old January 31, 2003, 15:50   #190
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I don't think you'll carpet-bomb Bagdad (notice the cute smiley), but I implemented some exaggeration the pro-peace here sometimes use.

However, I think the US army will not care of civilian losses during the battle of Bagdad if things become hard. For the generals, better have 1000 dead Iraqi civilians than 100 dead American soldiers (which is normal from their perspective). And the US army will also not care if human shields are used to protect military buildings.

In the end, the war will kill tens of thousands. Curiously enough, Europeans aren't happy about this.
Old January 31, 2003, 15:53   #191
Ned
King

As many here in the US believe, Saddam is a threat to threat to both the US and Israel, and if he were to take the entire ME, which he can if we withdraw, to Europe. He is a threat to Israel because of his WoMD and because he actively supports terrorism there. He is a treat to the US because he actively supports terrorists in general and because he has al Qaida connections.

Besides, we cannot maintain the no-fly zones and sanctions forever, can we? If we withdraw now, the Shi'ites and Kurds will be massacred. How many time should we betray them?

I don't understand the European's focus American control of Iraq's oil. We won't control it. Any new government the Iraqi's establish will control it.

But clearly oil is a problem. In the hands of a nuclear Iraq, Saddam could again equip a vast army with modern weapons, including nuclear, chemical and bio, that could conquer far and wide.
Old January 31, 2003, 15:54   #192
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 11:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I don't think you'll carpet-bomb Bagdad (notice the cute smiley), but I implemented some exaggeration the pro-peace here sometimes use.

However, I think the US army will not care of civilian losses during the battle of Bagdad if things become hard. For the generals, better have 1000 dead Iraqi civilians than 100 dead American soldiers (which is normal from their perspective). And the US army will also not care if human shields are used to protect military buildings.

In the end, the war will kill tens of thousands. Curiously enough, Europeans aren't happy about this.
I wont be happy with one civilian death during the war myself. Nor am i happy with the deaths of civilians at the hands of Saddam Hussein.
Old January 31, 2003, 16:00   #193
Ned
King

As many here in the US believe, Saddam is a threat to both the US and Israel, and if he were to take the entire ME, which he can if we withdraw, to Europe. He is a threat to Israel because of his WoMD and because he actively supports terrorism there. He is a treat to the US because he actively supports terrorists in general and because he has al Qaida connections.

Besides, we cannot maintain the no-fly zones and sanctions forever, can we? If we withdraw now, the Shi'ites and Kurds will be massacred. How many time should we betray them?

I don't understand the European's focus American control of Iraq's oil. We won't control it. Any new government the Iraqi's establish will control it.

But clearly oil is a problem. In the hands of a nuclear Iraq, Saddam could again equip a vast army with modern weapons, including nuclear, chemical and bio, that could conquer far and wide.
Old January 31, 2003, 16:07   #194
Bereta_Eder
Settler

The new gov will by a US pupet regime.
So all the good oil deals will go to US companies.

Its called sucking a country dry and it wont be the first time.
Old January 31, 2003, 16:12   #195
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I see your an expert on sucking.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old January 31, 2003, 16:13   #196
Bereta_Eder
Settler

not like you sucked 3.000 victims in the world towers no
Old January 31, 2003, 16:16   #197
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
The new gov will by a US pupet regime.
So all the good oil deals will go to US companies.

Its called sucking a country dry and it wont be the first time.
Puppet or friend?

I am sure, though, that the new Iraqi government will know who its friends are and better, who are not.

But, isn't this a good argument to join the coalition? We had 77 countries in the last one.

BTW, how have the oil and other contracts gone in Kuwait. Does anyone have any hard data?
Old January 31, 2003, 16:16   #198
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

You can do better than that.

Old January 31, 2003, 16:17   #199
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Ned, puppet regime.

Ogie, how about this: but your bloodlust was satiated after dropping bombs, that are designed to clear entire forests, on people in Afganistan?
Old January 31, 2003, 16:18   #200
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 16:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
paiktis, saying that 80% of the EU are against the war is like saying that 80% of the EU is in favor of keeping Saddam Hussein in power.

Why do 80% of the EU favor keeping Saddam Hussein in power?
Ned, Saddam is of course a bloody dictator, and I wish nothing more than the Iraqi people could overthrow him and establish a more human, may be even democratic government. However, having a dictator does not justify an invasion. If it did, the United States would have to invade many of the other countries in ME, half of South America and 3/4 of Africa too. In fact, the US is even actively supporting many of these Micro-Hitlers, just like they formerly supported Saddam.

On the question of WoMD, well, put facts on the table. Saying "we are convinced, that Saddam has WoMD" proves nothing. I'm sorry to say this, but hardly anyone in Europe considers GWB to be a reliable source of information. Statements without prove are hearsay, not more. Either put the smoking gun on the table, or tell Blix, where he can find it. Bush keeps to brag with his outstanding intelligence data. Why doesn't he use it to convince the world with facts? I dare to say, that he would get much, much more support, in France, Germany, and elsewhere, than with lying, wardrumming and threatening. At least I would say, ok, there's the prove, now go and remove that bastard.

Instead of this, he makes with his "axis of evil", "who's not with us is against us" and similar bull more and more enemies everywhere in the world. The worlds opinion has never been as anti American, as it is now. In the case of France and Germany Bush and Rumsfeld clearly show their outstanding diplomatic skills. If I want to achieve something, it's of course the best choice to piss off my opponent. That letter of the 8 had also not the effect it should. It was made up like a commercial ad, who likes them? Blairs position was known before. Italy, oh well... Bush and Berlusconi are an awesome couple. Let's better be silent about Italy. For Spain I feel a bit sorry, I had a better opinion about Aznar. The other countries are, sorry, insignificant. Danmark helps you how, with 40-60 "hunters" (according to Winston)? What do they hunt? I'm sure they'll be the make or break in this war.
Old January 31, 2003, 16:19   #201
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Keep trying.

Old January 31, 2003, 16:22   #202
Bereta_Eder
Settler

What for?
Fait accompli
Old January 31, 2003, 16:30   #203
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Naah, I'm just hoping one of these posts you'll actually show some intelligence. Call me an optimist.

Old January 31, 2003, 16:31   #204
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Old January 31, 2003, 16:34   #205
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Congratulations.

The most intelligent thing you've said to date. See I knew you had it in you.

Old January 31, 2003, 16:35   #206
Bereta_Eder
Settler

i see you belong to the enlightened species of men who consider intelligent whatever agrees with their opinions.
A common disease
Old January 31, 2003, 16:36   #207
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Now an expert on sucking and disease. Kudos to you.

Old January 31, 2003, 16:37   #208
Bereta_Eder
Settler

I say them as I see them on you
Old January 31, 2003, 16:38   #209
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

LOL

I'm rubber and your glue.... Blah blah

Old January 31, 2003, 16:40   #210
Bereta_Eder
Settler

LOL indeed