Old February 12, 2003, 17:24   #31
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 15:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010

Holy smokes! Was just about to reply to your original post when I saw the additions! Geez man....how much are they paying you at that "other" civ project....I'll double it!

Those are FANTASTIC!!!!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 12, 2003, 18:15   #32
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Hex:

Old February 12, 2003, 19:24   #33
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 10:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Geez man....how much are they paying you at that "other" civ project....I'll double it!
That's probably not hard to do when he's working for free...
Old February 12, 2003, 22:51   #34
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Precisely.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 12, 2003, 23:00   #35
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Consider the use of another snackage package to bribe him... because I know you have plenty of those.
Old February 12, 2003, 23:43   #36
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Well, free, with future considerations if it becomes shareware...

Anyhow, what are you looking for in terms of artwork? The main screen with the stained glass look have a nice look to it, and the image in the startup screen is very good. These types of things could easily integrated with the elements in my screen. For instance, take your Brice image and imagine it on top of my screen. That image will jump out at you.

If you are looking for someone to create Brice images like the tower image on your startup screen, I will have to decline. My expertise lies more along the lines of putting elements together to make them look good. I do have access to images, and I can do some interesting things with very little though.

I could whip up screens with the look provided. What I propose is to use the parchment shapes as a common element on most of the screens. (again, image them on the startup screen instead of what is already there). Same with the background/buttons/bars.

The artwork I am doing for the other project is at the stage of tweaking - most of the main artwork has been done. (see my sig below for the name - its only been publicized in the CTP2 forums and is not available for public use because it is in an early build stage). The screens for that project have the same color scheme (parchment tone), but the overall look is different.

I cannot post those images, as a courtesy to Dale, and if Dale is not comfortable with my involvement in dual alt-civ projects, I will decline here. Even if he does not have a problem with me helping out here, I will still give his project first priority (after all, first come, first served).

Still, I wanted to post something that others could see to spark some ideas about the overall look of the game. Candle'Bre is an interesting project, but for many players, (subconsciencely or not), the 'look' of a game makes a great deal of difference, and is the gateway into actually playing the game.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old February 12, 2003, 23:53   #37
Velociryx
staff

Well, as I often tell the guys in the development forums, as a visual artist, I'm a hack-job, at best. I can wing it enough to get us by, but the research screen you whipped up blows the doors off my design, and with fewer elements, to boot!

Images, I got (700+ megs on my hd, and access to clipart.com's entire library). If you need ingredients (for either project), I can get them to you, or get you the access to go hunting on your own.

If you need something made in Bryce (again, for either project....if Dale's okay with some cross-pollination, then I'm certainly game to help return the favor), I can do it (that is where the bulk of my artistic efforts have gone....the tower rendering was my fifth such "experiment," including the built in tutorials, so clearly I still have much to learn, but have been steadily improving in the quality of my 3d renders with each iteration).

So....while I'm a good "resource gatherer" I lack the knack for putting it all together, and from what I've seen of your work, that could serve both of us, and in fact, both projects, very well!

All that to say, it'd be a pleasure to lend a hand to Dale's effort, and to see more of your work here on the CB forum! See what he thinks, think it over, and let me know! I got a whoooooole lot of ingredients....

-=Vel=-
Old February 12, 2003, 23:56   #38
Velociryx
staff

As to specifics (which I somehow forgot to nail down in my last post), since it's clear that you're heads and shoulders better than I at putting together eye-catching screens, THAT's what I need. I can get you any ingredient you need, a list of all the screens we're working on, and shots of all our latest mockups (most of which are here), and can make 3d renders of anything you'd like to add for center-piece art, if you can put them together....

-=Vel=-
Old February 13, 2003, 00:44   #39
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 01:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Vel:

Hex is a wizz, let me assure you of that.

This is what he "knocked up" for me for the main map screen...............
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	36793  
Old February 13, 2003, 00:46   #40
Dale
Emperor

And the buildings in the game so far.............
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	builds.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	36794  
Old February 13, 2003, 00:59   #41
Dale
Emperor

BTW, I have no problems with Hex helping in other Alt-Civ projects. We're all here for the same outcome, better games for all eh?
Old February 13, 2003, 01:55   #42
Velociryx
staff

I am *stunned* That's wonderful work!!!

Well then, if I can be of any assistance in your effort, just say the word!

And Hex, I'll be mailing you in the morning!

-=Vel=-
Old February 13, 2003, 19:27   #43
Dale
Emperor

Vel:

I know it's good work. Hex has been fantastic in helping make Empire look how I want it.

As for assistance, I'm creating this game as the coding centrepiece for my programming folio (to get a job in the industry), so code-wise I'm doing it all by myself. However, I will need some alpha-testers soon. *hint hint nudge nudge*
Old February 13, 2003, 20:45   #44
Velociryx
staff

Let me know the moment you are ready!

-=Vel=-
Old February 14, 2003, 12:53   #45
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Must...test...games....
Must...test...games....
Must...test...games....
Must...test...games....
Must...test...games....

....I'm sorry, what were you looking for Dale?
Old February 16, 2003, 02:03   #46
Dale
Emperor

Vel:

You wanted to know when a public build was available. Here's the Alt-Civ thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=77385
Old February 18, 2003, 09:31   #47
Velociryx
staff

Will be downloading it as soon as I get home tonight!

-=Vel=-