Old January 30, 2003, 18:40   #1
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Tech Progression, Late Stage
I don't ussually play a game into the last tech tree (future? Modern?), seeing as ussually whomp everyone by then. This time, however, I gave them all slack (or maybe it was because I am playing the Celts?) and have actually made it to the last tech tree. This is all nice and all, but what do I take first?

How I normally gauge techs:

1. I generally like techs that free up resources... It tells me where they are so that I can take over other countries resources before they even know they have them.
2. I also give high ranking to techs that yeild wonders... for obvious reasons.
3. I then consider techs that will lead to the most efficient City Imps
4. Finally, I consider units for world domination... If you can't pay for the world, you can't buy it...

Please help me select my techs... I am starting with Fission, just for the Uranium.
Old January 30, 2003, 18:44   #2
Azeem
Prince

I suck at CivIII, so I always end up going all the way to the modern age.

Instead of conquest, I often focus on culture or science.
Old January 30, 2003, 20:38   #3
Stuie
King

Local Time: 11:25
If you have the diplomatic victory condition active, then you should start with Fission just so you can grab the UN and then deny the votes. Then go for Computers (Mech Inf), Rocketry (Aluminum), Ecology, and Synthetic Fibers (Modern Armor). Game over.
Old January 30, 2003, 23:23   #4
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 10:25
It should also be mentioned that if you're playing against all AI civs, then they already know where all of the strategic resources are. Although your strategy is still useful: it allows you to take the spots before the AIs do. Half of the battle for knowledge is simply knowing what your opponent knows. The rest is merely a bonus. (Meh. It sounded philisophical).
Old January 31, 2003, 01:22   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:25
Lots of variables but in general I like:
Computers - labs SETI and MI upgrade infantry to MI is a big boost in mobility and power.
Then beeline for Genetics lots of Wonders.
I may then go for Ecology to reduce my work on managing the pollution an dit is a prereq for MA anyway.
Rocketry for Oil, needed for MA.
Fission this may need to be moved up if it looks like someone can get Manhatten before me.
Old January 31, 2003, 05:28   #6
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 16:25
Also depends if you have the win by space race option active. If not, I would go for ecology to start reducing polution, then computers followed by the straight line to stealth so you get MI, MAs and stealth bombers. If you'll decide to take over the AI's cities, you might want to head for genetics so you can build cure for cancer (happiness) and longevity to increase your population in the nearly taken cities. You might also want some nukes, but that depends on your opponents. If noone is building the manhattan project, don't rush for it unless you want nukes yourself
Old January 31, 2003, 06:48   #7
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

fission...so you're able to build the UN and to make sure no AI wins this way...then Minituriasition (i don't know the name exactly as I rarely reach modern age)...so you can build the internet: it is like hoover for science gives free research labs on the continent...then i'd go either for the spaceship-techs or for synth.fibres for modern armor.
Old January 31, 2003, 14:48   #8
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 09:25
Moder Age Research priorities depend upon your game style and what it is that you want to achieve:

For a strong Military,
Go for Computers to get Mech Infantry and SETI Wonder.

Then perhaps Miniturization for the Internet Wonder, Else go for Ecology then Synthetic Fibers.

You will notice that just because you have researched Synth Fibers, you won't be able to build Modern Armor until you have Aluminum (which shows-up w/ Rocketry) If there is a Scientific civ that is close to you in tech, you can usually trade for Rocketry. (If you are Scientific Civ, you will most likely get Rocketry as your 'freebie tech'.

Then pound the AI's unmercifully w/ your advanced units.
-------------------------------------------------------------

For a Diplomatic Victory,
Go for Fission so that you can build the UN. You can then either try to win Diplomatically by winning the Election for Secretary General--only works if enough folks like you, or you can hold-off the election to keep one of the AI's from winning that way. Then go for all of the Military or Wonder techs.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Wonders,
If you just want to build the most Wonders, go for Computers, Fission, Miniturization, and Genetics. (Or go for Fission first.) I've found it easier to trade for Fission rather than lean it since the AI almost always goes for that one first.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Space Race,
The AI tends to research most of the Space Techs before doing any of the others. They usually go for Laser as the last Space Tech. Research other techs to trade w/ the AI for Space Techs, but learn Laser before the AI so that you will have a jump on the Planetary Party Lounge for your Space Ship.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Notes on what the AI generally researches: The AI will generally start learning Fission then Rocketry (I don't have a Tech Tree available right now) and then will go down the Upper-Middle path for the SpaceShip Parts. Occationally they will research one of the other techs, but mostly the AI will beeline for the Space Ship.