Old January 30, 2003, 19:37   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Are all races equal?
Quote:
God loves us all equally, and we are equally important to him, but that does not make us physically or mentally equal. Unequal races etc is all part of God's plan. It teaches us to love others even if they are not on the same level as us.
-Caligastia

At the request of Japher, this is a threadsplit from the discussion regarding the benefits of spirituality.

Are there concrete, definable differences between the races?

I will argue no. People will have varying abilities, but across races there are no consistent differences.

(Poorly worded, but I think it will come out what I mean anyways.)
Old January 30, 2003, 19:40   #2
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
what about swimming?

black peoples don't swim as well as others , they tend to sink.

and white man can't jump

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old January 30, 2003, 19:47   #3
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:25
We can phentypically differentiate people, by skin colour, or so, but it is only for convenience. There are no boundries defined by any standard.

I will elaborate my point, after some sleep.
Old January 30, 2003, 19:50   #4
Sandman
King

Local Time: 16:25
It is ludicrous to suggest that skin tone and facial topography can have any biological effect on intelligence and stamina.

Edit: Yes, there ARE sociological effects.

Last edited by Sandman; January 30, 2003 at 21:01.
Old January 30, 2003, 19:59   #5
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 15:25
You know your going to regret this... Never get Cali going on this it will never stop.

Quote:
Are there concrete, definable differences between the races?
nothing is concrete. Yet, what is, is that they are different in that they are a different race.

Quote:
I will argue no. People will have varying abilities, but across races there are no consistent differences.
That is not entirly true. Consistent differences? Africans are more prone to get sickle-cell anemia, Asians are more prone to having eye problems, White people are at a higher risk of generating skin cancern.

We may have all began from the same gene pool, but years of evolution have given noticable and definable differences based on climate, needs, and executions for obtaining these needs. As a result races are different, do you not notice that asians are generally shorter than the rest of the races, and africans are generally taller and have a denser muscular structure than other races?

These things are readily obvious, and lead for gross generalizations, but if you can't deduce from logical observations, then what do you deduce this from?
Old January 30, 2003, 20:00   #6
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:25
All people pretty much suck equally.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 30, 2003, 20:06   #7
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Quote:
Consistent differences? Africans are more prone to get sickle-cell anemia
The problem with talking about an "African" race is that there's more genetic diversity AMONG black Africans of different ethnic groups than between, say, whites and asians.
Old January 30, 2003, 20:08   #8
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Elves are definitely different though.
Old January 30, 2003, 20:09   #9
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
It is ludicrous to suggest that skin tone and facial topography can have any biological effect on intelligence and stamina.
I agree that skin tone and facial topography would have nothing to do with intelligence. What has to do with intelligence, or schooling, is that person's desire to become educated and to persue a higher intelligence. In our world today, wether we like it or not, races of certain types tend to lump themselves together. Thus, there is a general racism by all, which does not permit itself well to overcoming challenges that may hinder one's desire to learn.

Ergo, races, in general, do very in intelligence. Not because they are inherently dumber or smart, but because the societies they live in promote different aspects of being.
Old January 30, 2003, 20:25   #10
Sandman
King

That's why I specified biological effects, Japher.
Old January 30, 2003, 20:27   #11
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 01:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher

That is not entirly true. Consistent differences? Africans are more prone to get sickle-cell anemia,
And more people of Mediterranean origin get thalassaemia- but there isn't a Mediterranean 'race'.

Some Jews get Tay Sachs- some don't.

'Recessive diseases such as Tay-Sachs often occur more frequently, though not exclusively, in a defined population. A person's chances of being a TSD carrier are significantly higher if he or she is of eastern European (Ashkenazi) Jewish descent. Approximately one in every 27 Jews in the United States is a carrier of the TSD gene. There is also a noticeable incidence of TSD in non-Jewish French Canadians living near the St. Lawrence River and in the Cajun community of Louisiana. By contrast, the carrier rate in the general population as well as in Jews of Sephardic origin is about one in 250.'

Using inherited disease as a 'race' marker won't work.

As for Caligastia's god and race nonsense- it isn't worth the thought.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old January 30, 2003, 20:31   #12
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boshko

The problem with talking about an "African" race is that there's more genetic diversity AMONG black Africans of different ethnic groups than between, say, whites and asians.
Which would mean that there are multiple Black races.

Now, how do you tell them apart using the standard method of determining race, i.e., looking at a person and being an ignorant muther******?

There is only one race, the human race. All else is BS.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old January 30, 2003, 20:36   #13
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

[obvious joke]Of course there are differences. The 100m sprint is hugely different to a 26 mile marathon.[/obvious joke]

Old January 30, 2003, 20:47   #14
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
True. But place of origin and economic status definitely have effects on some aspects of people, and both place of origin and economic/social status are affected by race. (I'm talking about slavery and genocide affecting different races' economic status - artificial man-created differences, not innate ones.)

All in all, discrepancies in different races are all man-made or having to do with place of origin.

edited to add some stuff I meant to say but forgot to.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old January 30, 2003, 20:53   #15
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Part of the problem is the definition of race.

Diseases such as thalassema affect certain parts of a race, but they do not affect the whole.

The same with sickle-cell anemia. You can be a black person without sickle-cell anemia, and you can have sickle-cell without being black.

IIRC sickle cell anemia is a hereditary response to environmental exposure to malaria. Will sickle-cell vanish when malaria is eradicated?
Old January 30, 2003, 20:54   #16
chequita guevara
Emperor

Malaria will never be eradicated.
Old January 30, 2003, 20:59   #17
Sandman
King

That's why I specified biological effects, Jaguar Warrior.
Old January 30, 2003, 21:00   #18
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Genetically and physically I don't think there are differences between the races. However there can be cultural differences.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old January 30, 2003, 21:36   #19
Charlemagne120
Settler

Local Time: 09:25
My answer on this one will be a definant yes.

The first thing that jumps to mind is the socialogical differences but thats not whats being asked. Then i thought deeper. Where do those come from?

It IS about biological differences in the long run because (not always but majority of the time) races will stick together. These eventually mold your mind against others and to think differently and act differently. So those BIOLOGICAL differences are what is the cause of the SOCIALOGICAL differences.
Old January 30, 2003, 21:40   #20
Lonestar
inmate
King

Everyone is equal.

Except the French.
Old January 30, 2003, 21:47   #21
Sandman
King

Quote:
It IS about biological differences in the long run because (not always but majority of the time) races will stick together. These eventually mold your mind against others and to think differently and act differently. So those BIOLOGICAL differences are what is the cause of the SOCIALOGICAL differences.
Two points:

1. Races do not stick together, even a majority of the time. Bloodshed is just as common within races.

2. Biological and sociological differences may have a common cause: the environment.
Old January 30, 2003, 21:52   #22
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Thank You.

Thus, racial profiling is a logical manner to live ones life, or as you may say being racist. Yet, I say it is prejudice, and to that I admit whole heartedly.

Quote:
Genetically and physically I don't think there are differences between the races. However there can be cultural differences.
That is an obvious statement, and is really not contriversial... You want contriversy you have to say things like:

"What a silly response. There are defintly physical and genetic differences between races..."

See how that works, and by the way, I mean what I just put in quotes... prove me wrong, just don't use opinion, use observations, and even wide generalizations if you want... I did.

Quote:
That's why I specified biological effects, Japher.
Sorry about that Sandman, I stand corrected. Yes, people with similar facial features and skin tone can be of different races.
Old January 30, 2003, 21:57   #23
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
1. Races do not stick together, even a majority of the time. Bloodshed is just as common within races.

2. Biological and sociological differences may have a common cause: the environment.
to No.1 - BS, they do stick together a majority of the time, and yes I agree with the second sentence.

to No.2 - Hmmmm. You are starting to get my point. Should we, once again, look into the evolution of races?

Of course the environment is responsible for sociological and biological differences... That is what constitutes a race.
Old January 30, 2003, 22:20   #24
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

The genetic differences between 'races' how ever defined, are limited to climate/environmental niche adpations.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old January 30, 2003, 22:30   #25
Sandman
King

Quote:
Sorry about that Sandman, I stand corrected. Yes, people with similar facial features and skin tone can be of different races.
That's not what I meant. I am saying, biologically (not sociologically), skin tone cannot be related to intelligence any more than the width of the foot is related to eyesight.

Quote:
to No.1 - BS, they do stick together a majority of the time, and yes I agree with the second sentence.
I disagree. There is at least as much conflict within races as between races. The constant conflict in Europe from the fall of Rome to the present day is almost entirely between 'whites', China has known many dreadful civil wars and the Indian subcontinent is split between Hinduism and Islam.
Old January 30, 2003, 22:37   #26
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

They're not equal, but are supposed to be treated equally under most western legal systems... which is the main thing.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old January 30, 2003, 22:52   #27
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 07:25
Appearantly we all descended from the same woman.

I don't know much about this subject. I used to think that children were born loving everyone regardless of race and you had to teach them to be racist. I was shocked to hear my 4 year old tell me the other day that he didn't like my neighbor because he's black. He definitely didn't learn this from around the house. At least I'm almost certain. Certainly not from me anyway.
Old January 30, 2003, 23:30   #28
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:25
Intellectually I saw we're all equal.

Physically I think there are some slight differences as many of how have noted, athletically and with respect to diseases and conditions. Still, I think they are not really significant.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old January 31, 2003, 00:23   #29
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

I will elaborate my point, after some sleep.
How dare you shirk any debate on Apolyton with the flimsy of maintaining your health!?

Anyway, welcome to Cal's fetish topic -- AGAIN.

Poverty and malnourishment is what affect's people's intelligence level. Blacks have historically been more impoverished and more malnourished in all parts of the world. As a result, many of them have suffered from stunted intellectual growth and development.

There are always cases however, where blacks have even overcomed these obstacles and become highly successful.

In any case, race is not a factor -- poverty and malnourishment are the factors in intelligence levels.
Old January 31, 2003, 00:27   #30
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
All people pretty much suck equally.
Two thumbs up for that Che!
Where's Albert Speer? I'm still waiting to hear that the white race is superior to all.