Old February 10, 2003, 04:47   #31
ceroomaster
Civilization III PBEMNationStates
Prince

Local Time: 15:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yup, this is the same as I said on the NS message lodge, so obviously gets my approval.

-Sid
Old February 10, 2003, 05:30   #32
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 17:27
In keeping with the new policy, Guardinia is approving the following proposals:

Political Prisoner Transport
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Tochrates

Description: All political prisoners should be shipped back to their respective countries within a 1 week period of capture.

The hosting country should pay the transport costs.

This will allow any criminal to be tried in their own country, by their own people. Even so called spies, although Tochrates wishes to point out that the Tochratians recently captured where only testing their cameras at the navy base, and not taking pictures.

Delegate's note: The author kind of messed this one up a little by first using the term "Political prisoners" and then going on to state that "any criminal" should be tried in his or her own country. The obvious problem here is that there is a pretty big difference between a "political prisoner" and a criminal. But hey, it's a start...

Court of United Nations

Strength: Significant
Proposed by: The Pantheon

Description: This proposal stands to draw support for the concept of a International Court of the United Nations.

This court, through processes internationally agreed upon and with it's operation publically scrutinised, may have authority upon those members of nations that can be unsatisfactorially tried in their own nations, whether for crimes against humanity or international crime. This court would not impinge upon the sovereignty of individual nations, nor reduce their own authority.

The model for this court would be somewhat similar to the International Court of Justice, and the International Criminal Court.

Delegate's note: The mandate and authority of the proposed court seems at best unclear, but this could make for an interesting discussion.

Sexual education for teenagers
A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.

Category: Social Justice
Proposed by: Litistan

Description: The population explosion of the world must be stopped. That's why sexual education should be mandatory for all teenagers.

The education should be given to pupils aged 14 or 15 in comprehensive school. Education would cover many angles of human sexuality, including biological, psychological and social aspects.

Issues of birth control and safe sex should also be on the agenda. A condom should be given to every pupil in class for a closer examination.

Delegate's note: I don't think the proposed solution can actually solve the problem, but I suppose it might help. -And hey, it's in-game!

End Abortion Now!

Proposed by: East Seattle

Description: Abortion is the act of ending a human life, the justification being that it is part of the mother's body, therefore it is her choice to end the baby's life. East Seattle proposes that we defend human life by ending this inhumane practice!

Delegate's note: The subject is frequently discussed in the real world, but the proposals as is stands here is short, simple and to-the-point. Last but not least, it's in-game.

Mind your own business

Proposed by: Mohre

Description: I propose that all nations mind their own business and not interfere with others as long as it does not directly affect your nation. I will not subject the men and women of my military to the chance of death defending someone else's ideals. Stay out of my backyard and I'll stay out of yours.

Delegate's note: Needless to say, if this one ever goes to voting, I'll want to vote against it...

Death penalty

Proposed by: Keitaro

Description: i think every human has the right to live, even the worst criminals, and a government shouldnt slaughter people because they made a mistake, criminals can always be punished in other ways, a life time in prison is just as effective as the electric chair + by making numberplates for cars they contribute to the country.

Delegate's note: Actually, the death penalty is more expensive than - say, a prison sentence of about 50 years, even if the prisoner does not do anything useful while locked up.

Let them be bare!

Proposed by: Democratic Vietnam

Description: In my great country, I have abolished any laws regarding the necessity of clothing. At the outset of this new legislation, confusion was at a minimum, and acceptance was quickly achieved when people realized the true freedom that they recieved when pantless.

So let it be resolved;
Let your people be free of clothing if they wish it be.

Delegate's note: While some would say this is not UN resolution material, the question here is whether or not the freedom to be nude in public is a human rights issue - which is UN business.

End World Hunger

Proposed by: Garneria

Description: The world hunger problem we are faced with today is most alarming. Especially since there is so much we can do to prevent it. Every year, nations across the globe are faced with a crop surplus, which governments will often have farmers destroy to ensure a profitable season. The Garnerian Federation proposes that these huge crop surplusses be given freely to nations plagued with famine instead of destroying them. Economies would be preserved, national resources wouldn't be wasted, and these underdeveloped nations would not have to make the decision which of their inhabitants deserves to eat this week.

Delegate's note: An alternative would be to say that crop surplusses should be bought by the UN at fixed, low prices, then distributed to nations plagued with famine, possibly also for a symbolic fee that the governments of these nations can afford to pay. (Of course, any government that can afford to feed its people but chooses not to should be removed by the UN, which should have the authority to use any means necessary in such cases... )

One World - Vison
A resolution to slash worldwide military spending.

Category: Global Disarmament
Proposed by: Sparkasse

Description: We, the whole world, should put us together to have "one world - one voice". We should disarm our selves and put more money into the investigation of the space! If we go on like this today, surely it'll get to an end, the end of the human race.
What then is all this for? All that money we have now? So we should put more money into space travel!

Delegate's note: Wording's not the best I've ever seen, but I'll let it pass for now.

The Prohibition of Guns

Proposed by: Guinea Fowl

Description: The Most Illustrious Government of the Disputed Territories of the Guinea Fowl has noted the recent UN proposal suggesting the replacement of modern arms with muskets with a view to reducing gun crime and bloody slaughter. However, the Guinea Fowl proposes the more radical step of imposing a complete prohibition on civilian (as oppose to military) gun ownership. Let people beat each other with sharp sticks instead.

Delegate's note: Should this be enforced by the UN? We'll see, won't we...?

Blood Sport
A resolution to legalize or outlaw gambling.

Category: Gambling
Legalize/Outlaw: Legalize
Proposed by: Ion Omega

Description: To ease the growing problem of population overflow and prison overcrowding, the people of Ion Omega propose Blood Sports. Inmates shall be put into a pen much like the roman gladiators of the olden days, they shall fight to the death with a variety of weapons. These contests shall bring in economy through leaglizied gambling for them as well as tourism, and a stronger economy for any country which supports them. The idea of being forced to fight to the death shall as well quell the urge to commit crimes. For the good of our countries, laws, and economies, we plead with the UN to legalize gambling so this sport may take place.

Delegate's note: This actually makes sense in its own bizzare, evil, twisted kind of way...

Last edited by Guardian; February 10, 2003 at 08:23.
Old February 10, 2003, 05:43   #33
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

The Dissolution of the UN
A resolution to increase democratic freedoms.

Category: The Furtherment of Democracy Strength: Strong Proposed by: Kennett

Description: Since the rights and securities of the people are threatened by any authority exercised outside of their control, and since the United Nations is such an authority, the following resolution is presented.

That the United Nations is immediately disbanded and all regulations imposed by this organizations repealed.

That it should be illegal to attempt to recreate the UN or any similar world-governance body.

That the use of force, by any nation of Earth, to effect the compliance with the two aforementioned actions is entirely and completely justified and should be supported by all.

Delegate's note: This proposal was not approved because it basically proposes to use force to stop anyone using force on anyone for any purpose...
Old February 10, 2003, 05:51   #34
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

I am proceeding along these lines. I will not post every single approval or disapproval that I make, but those who are really that interested can look at the proposals list for themselves and I will answer any and all questions that you guys care to ask.
Old February 10, 2003, 08:16   #35
Leland
Prince

One endorsement coming up.
Old February 11, 2003, 09:54   #36
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

In keeping with our policy to only consider supporting resolutions that actually have an in-game meaning, Guardinia is voting against "Resolution 245A Proper Grammar", once again on the grounds that this is stupid OOC stuff that shouldn't be on the UN floor in the first place.

With our own vote plus the 18 endorsements we currently hold, we are putting down 19 votes against this resolution.
Old February 11, 2003, 23:03   #37
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:27
What a load of crap
Old February 12, 2003, 16:20   #38
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

that resolution is so stupid- but it'll probably pass- even though it means nothing
Old February 13, 2003, 04:18   #39
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

As far as I'm concerned, this thing constitutes an all-time low as far as resolutions go. How in the hoot it's getting so many votes is beyond me.
Old February 17, 2003, 08:13   #40
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Our voting policy in regards to technical proposals in the UN was questioned today on the Apolyton message board.

In case you missed it, I have provided a transcript below:

Guardinia: By the way, Guardinia voted AGAINST the resolution "More Knowledge of Own Country".

This is another one of those ideas that should be brought before the technical forum, not the UN.

Marijuania: Who cares if it was technical, it was a fundamentally good idea, that if the maintainer of Nationstates is paying attention to, should take on board. Enough delegates voted for the proposal to become a resolution, and at time of writing, people supporting it outnumber the people against by a factor of 5.5! This shows that hang-ups over the technical side of the game have been shown irrelevant by the ideas goodness. Shouldnt we have a straw poll of all of Guardinias endorsements, after all, he is voting on our behalf. I emplore people to make a stand against Guardinias decision, which seems to be based more on an irrational inflexible stance for "that proposal goes in that box, that one goes in that box", than a rational consideration of the merits of the idea.

Guardinia: Yes, Marijuania does have a point, in that our policy is to oppose any and all technical proposals without question. However, this policy has been discussed and agreed upon by a good lot of us, and since its implementation, our number of endorsements has risen to an all-time high. The fact that an idea is good doesn't mean it belongs in the UN! By now, everyone with half a brain and half an ear knows that we're not supposed to post technical proposals in the UN, so I'm a little surprised that we're still being asked to approve such proposals.

Guardinia: That said, I guess you could say that since reality obviously isn't as it was supposed to be, we should adopt new policies to go with the actual situation that we're in, as opposed to our current policy, which is based on a more or less abstract idea of how things SHOULD be. A

Guardinia: (Ack... previous message got lodged before it was finished...)

A lot of people DO post technical proposals to the UN and a lot of delegates DO approve these proposals. Some of them DO make it to become resolutions. I suppose you could say this proves that Guardinia's current voting policy is an exercise in futility and should be changed. I don't see it that way, at least not at the moment, but I'm open for discussions. -This is a democracy, after all.

Marijuania: lol, of all people you'd expect me to support exercises in futility. I didnt know that the majority of people (presumably including your endorsees) support your policy, but I do stand by my belief that a proposal should be considered on its own individual merits, as opposed to where it shouldnt belong. Is it reasonable to suggest that the fact that a proposal belongs in the technical forum is reason enough to go against it (logically speaking, you would simply not vote for it) regardless of the proposal itself?

Guardinia: Well, basically, the idea is to oppose it in the UN while at the same time being willing to support the same idea if it's posted in the technical forum, thus encouraging people to post it where it belongs.
Old February 17, 2003, 09:34   #41
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Guardian- vote for it! It's a good proposal! It is designed to allow us to see statistics- and can be done- if you dont' vote for this, then you aren't going to vote fora anything that matters!

I'm withdrawing my endorsement...
Old February 17, 2003, 09:57   #42
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
Guardian- vote for it! It's a good proposal!
Yes, it is, but it's in the wrong place and that little fact was printed in big fat letters at the top of the form that was used to submit it! If the people who make good technical proposals can't be bothered to pay more attention than that, then why should I be bothered to run around looking everywhere except where they're supposed to be for good technical proposals?!

Quote:
if you dont' vote for this, then you aren't going to vote for anything that matters!
Sorry if you feel that way.
I respectfully disagree, but you're entitled to your own opinion, of course.

Quote:
I'm withdrawing my endorsement...
Once again, I'm sorry you feel that way.
-But you should do what you think is right, and if that means I'm losing an endorsement, then I guess I'm losing an endorsement... Sorry...
Old February 17, 2003, 23:34   #43
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
If the people who make good technical proposals can't be bothered to pay more attention than that, then why should I be bothered to run around looking everywhere except where they're supposed to be for good technical proposals
But then what good is the UN?

That's what I am wondering?

What is the UN for if not to ask about advances in either mechanics or additions in issues?

I'd love to give apolyton more power in the votes; but I have to withdraw until I find out whether you are going to vote for something fun instead of the stupid resolutions (IE: "Declare war on Region 000000000")
Old February 17, 2003, 23:37   #44
DarkCloud
staff

Just wondering, what type of issues have you seconded in the issues section?
Old February 18, 2003, 04:05   #45
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:

But then what good is the UN?

That's what I am wondering?

What is the UN for if not to ask about advances in either mechanics or additions in issues?
The UN is part of the game!
As such, it can be used for in-game stuff like roleplaying and for passing laws that will be enforced in all member nations. For instance, slavery is illegal in all UN nations, as per the "End Slavery" resolution passed on January 21st.

Quote:
I'd love to give apolyton more power in the votes; but I have to withdraw until I find out whether you are going to vote for something fun instead of the stupid resolutions (IE: "Declare war on Region 000000000")
Agreed. As a delegate, I should have to earn every endorsement, and if you're not sure that I've earned yours, then hold it back until you find out. Ask questions! Be critical! Make me work to convince you! All democracy depends on it!

As for my voting, I have provided a few examples of proposals I have approved on page 2 of this thread. I can give you more if you wish, just ask! The only resolution I have voted for so far was the "End Slavery" resolution of 21. January, which was passed before I became a delegate. So, since becoming a delegate, I have voted against every resolution, but I hope to break this trend some day soon...
Old February 18, 2003, 09:57   #46
DarkCloud
staff

Just wondering- will any of those propositions be added as possible issues to be voted on by the nations? or are they as useless as the "technical" issues taht you oppose?
Old February 18, 2003, 23:27   #47
DarkCloud
staff

also- guardian- a good proposal idea might be to show the rankings of Regions (for example: the region with the best weather, etc.) of regions with larger than 25 nations! for the UN) So that regions could be ranked like nations?

But just wondering- would you consider this a "technical issue"
Old February 19, 2003, 03:08   #48
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Just wondering- will any of those propositions be added as possible issues to be voted on by the nations? or are they as useless as the "technical" issues that you oppose?
Just wondering - when you vote in elections (assuming you do vote, otherwise consider this a hypothetical question) do you consider what the various candidates stand for and compare this to what you believe is right? I mean, do you vote for someone you think will at least try to do the "right" thing, or do you just vote for whomever has achieved things in the past - regardless of what they have achieved and how they went about it?

No, I haven't achieved all that much as a delegate so far. None of the proposals I've supported have actually made it to even become resolutions, while several resolutions I've opposed have passed with overwhelming majority.
-But at least I stick up for what I believe is right and don't just go with the flow.

Quote:
also- guardian- a good proposal idea might be to show the rankings of Regions (for example: the region with the best weather, etc.) of regions with larger than 25 nations! for the UN) So that regions could be ranked like nations?

But just wondering- would you consider this a "technical issue"

I think you know the answer to that one.

That doesn't mean it's not a good idea though, only that the UN is not the place for it.
You can post a poll in the technical forum if you want people to vote on it.
Old February 19, 2003, 22:05   #49
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Just wondering - when you vote in elections (assuming you do vote, otherwise consider this a hypothetical question) do you consider what the various candidates stand for and compare this to what you believe is right? I mean, do you vote for someone you think will at least try to do the "right" thing, or do you just vote for whomever has achieved things in the past - regardless of what they have achieved and how they went about it?
I vote for whatever they stand for; but focus on what they achieved. I could care little about how they achieved it as long as I support the end result.

I don't care if they supported a good thing for the wrong reasons.

Quote:

No, I haven't achieved all that much as a delegate so far. None of the proposals I've supported have actually made it to even become resolutions, while several resolutions I've opposed have passed with overwhelming majority.
-But at least I stick up for what I believe is right and don't just go with the flow.
Ok. But just what can the UN do?
What are its proposals supposed to do?

Will it ever be able to make a new issue for the game?

or is it only for Role Playing... Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose of the UN and therein lies our conflict?

-
Is this the type of resolution that you would support?
(and yes, I saw the ones you seconded, but just want to make certain that I understand your stance)

Quote:
Subsidies for Education

Category: Social Justice Strength: Strong Proposed by: Frigben
Description: Those who are seeking an education may find it difficult at times. This proposal suggests that all governments of UN member countries do the following:
1. Provide scholarships for those who excel in their early education, of a sum not less than $500.
2. Provide scholarships for those who excel in their early education, with a yearly income less than $10,0000, of a sum not less than $750.
This resolution will greatly improve the standard of education and living in all UN members, thereby leading to more prosperous nations.
Old February 20, 2003, 07:05   #50
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:

I vote for whatever they stand for; but focus on what they achieved. I could care little about how they achieved it as long as I support the end result.

I don't care if they supported a good thing for the wrong reasons.
I see. Up to a certain point I agree.

Quote:
Ok. But just what can the UN do?
What are its proposals supposed to do?

Will it ever be able to make a new issue for the game?

or is it only for Role Playing... Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose of the UN and therein lies our conflict?
Possibly.

Actually, the UN resolutions are kind of like a different type of issues. We get to discuss them and vote over them in the UN, and if they're passed there, then they are immediately implemented in all UN member nations without further issues on the national level.

Quote:
Is this the type of resolution that you would support?
Yes, it is.
Old February 20, 2003, 22:06   #51
DarkCloud
staff

What would the implementation do? How does it affect the game? For example: what did the no-slaves resolution really change.
-
Just an idea for a UN-resolution that we could develop:

That the UN elect a secretary-general to clean up the UN forum and delete all technical issues that the UN cannot possibly enforce.

Reasons for our election
-So that the more relevant issues can be voted on; and seconded much faster.
-That the UN can become more relevant

etc.

How about developing this proposal idea?

---
thank you. I now udnerstand more about this UN-thing
Old March 4, 2003, 05:10   #52
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
*BUMP*
Old March 4, 2003, 05:54   #53
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
What would the implementation do? How does it affect the game? For example: what did the no-slaves resolution really change.
I believe the actual in-game effect of that particular resolution was increased civil rights in all UN member nations.

Quote:
Just an idea for a UN-resolution that we could develop:

That the UN elect a secretary-general to clean up the UN forum and delete all technical issues that the UN cannot possibly enforce.

Reasons for our election
-So that the more relevant issues can be voted on; and seconded much faster.
-That the UN can become more relevant

etc.

How about developing this proposal idea?
It's a good idea, but it's also kind of... umm... technical...

Besides, the UN has already passed a resolution calling for the election of a secretary general.

Quote:
thank you. I now understand more about this UN-thing
Glad to hear it.
Hopefully, we can get it to work some day...
Old March 4, 2003, 23:11   #54
DarkCloud
staff

...The UN really needs less membernations to vote on a thing Nothing can achieve quorum nowadays

---
Strangely enough, I didn't even notice the most recent issue that was voted in- it seemed to have been a 24 hr vote?

Or was it just a decision by the maker of the game? if it was, i didnt notice anything- unless the % was decreased to 15% from 20% ?
Old March 6, 2003, 08:31   #55
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 16:27
Seems pretty clever
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 8, 2003, 08:14   #56
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

*BUMP* We would like to ask our regional delegate what his stance is on this:

http://www.nationstates.net/forum/vi...5&pin=71858022

We suggest that, at the very least, we offer to accept refugees from Naziland persecution, although apparently we will need to place them in quarantine for a while at least...
Old March 9, 2003, 07:45   #57
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Also, we would like to ask for our delegate's opinion on this:

http://www.nationstates.net/forum/vi...t=8425&start=0

Should we agree to support this endeavour?
Old March 10, 2003, 04:43   #58
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

I will look into these matters and get back to you as soon as possible.

(One of the links provided doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but I am assured that "this is a temporary problem that should be fixed within 48 hours".)
Old March 10, 2003, 21:21   #59
DarkCloud
staff

The first one doenst work... but then again, I've never been able to view their forums for some reason?
Old March 11, 2003, 04:34   #60
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

I just discovered that the first link works if you remove the "pin=71858022" in the end.

I.e. http://www.nationstates.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8195

I agree that we should at the very least offer to accept refugees. I also think some trade sanctions would be in order. -But then again, Guardinia is already not trading with Naziland...