Old March 10, 2003, 17:51   #151
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 16:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Lapps, Basque, and also Seljuks, should be added to barb tribes. And barbs should be neutral people you can declare war on or even trade with.

The VietCong UU (10,14,1, no terrain penalty) should be added to
the Vietnamese civ, and there should be longboats before caravels. Triremes are too crappy and lasts too long before obsoletion.

In addition I want the norwegian invention of the cheeze slicer , and the paperclip, and the spraybox, added to the tech-tree.
Old March 10, 2003, 19:17   #152
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:27
Barbarians as neutral civs would open up a huge array of interesting possibilities. It's a great idea actually.

For example you could have barbarians at a slight technological disadvantage from the least advanced civ as well as other slight penalties.

Another idea: every civ starts as barbarians but has to do "something" to get up to civ status.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 11, 2003, 00:19   #153
ThePlagueRat
King

Yeah, that could be really great! You have to build real good infrastructure or create a wonder or discover enough of the world, or just something like that... Then you lose barb status and become a civ.
Old March 23, 2003, 00:00   #154
Agamennon
Settler

Local Time: 15:27
If the game is to be really accurate historically, then some civs should also be taken out at certain ages. For example, take the Egyptians, they were one of the greatest civs in the ancient ages, but can anyone imagine them having nuclear weapons?
Old March 24, 2003, 19:04   #155
TriMiro
Warlord

Quote:
Barbarians as neutral civs would open up a huge array of interesting possibilities
I agree. Imagine some of the strategies really used by the Roman and Bizantum Empires. It was very often for them to use "Barbarian" tribes to fight their enemies.

If was able to talk to the barbarians in Civ3 just like the other nations, then one can buy alliance with the barbarians and make them go in big numbers and attack the oponent civ (make an uprising with an aim to destoy someone). One can buy them with money, or by destoing a rival barbarian tribe, or saving them from another civ. There can even be an option to equipt the barbarians with more "modern" weapons so instead of the stupid wariors and at most horseman they can use pikeman or even swordsman. (only if supplied with the tech by another civillized nation)
Old March 25, 2003, 22:59   #156
Sparkle
Chieftain

A new patch should be made.

American civ should be renamed Saviors

Great Leader: Saint George Bush

traits:
almighty
(all negative opinion points from invading someone are erased as long as a country whose points you want to have erased buys oil from you)

peacekeepers
(war weariness has opposite effect - the more you are involved in a war, the more happy your citizens are)

UU: CNN reporter
(all combat damage of your unit is halved, as long as a CNN reporter is in the unit´s radius)

Last edited by Sparkle; March 25, 2003 at 23:12.
Old March 26, 2003, 08:24   #157
TriMiro
Warlord

Sparkle you are great man.
Old March 27, 2003, 07:51   #158
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I liked this thread better for the three posts or so when it was about TV.
Old April 4, 2003, 21:38   #159
Cruddy
Warlord

I don't see why not - practically all the decent sim ideas have come out of the US (ok, exceptions like Populus, Theme Park/Hospital and maybe Sim City?).

In other words, without them, there would be no Civ games, so it's kind of self deluding not to include them...
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old April 5, 2003, 06:51   #160
TacticalGrace
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by War of Art

Well, not really wrong [snip] untill they too are English.

Enough ?

-Jam
brilliant! So good in fact that I've stored thaty one away on my hard disc, which is not something I ordinarily do.

Old April 12, 2003, 09:18   #161
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 10:27
America should not be a civ, as it is an extension of English culture.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old April 12, 2003, 09:40   #162
ThePlagueRat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
And, Irish, Italian, Polish, etc...

Well, let's say European culture, but it has developed into another through time... Automobile culture? Guns culture? Entertainment culture?

Something about that culture we love (Rock'n roll being the greatest) , other things we just hate. (such as their politicians)
Old April 12, 2003, 11:29   #163
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 17:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Chilean President
Maybe we could get both of them. The Sputnik Program to start the space race and the Apollo Program to finish it with the launch of the space ship. We could rename the Apollo Prgrm. to 'Mission to Mars' or 'Mission de Alfa Centauri' to be more accurate.
hi ,

indeed there should be civ related wonders

with a good scenario it has to be possible

have a nice day
Old April 12, 2003, 11:34   #164
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk

hi ,

yeah right , ......

in the last 200 years the US has clearly show that it has its own destinctive culture , clearly not being an mere "extension" of any culture what so ever , partly due to the people from so many cultures that gave birth to it , .......

have a nice American day
Old April 16, 2003, 17:31   #165
vette_21
Settler

Local Time: 07:27
Yes of course it should be included. The United States is the prominant world super power and has been for some time now. It is the World Hegimon, and if you'll notice most of the super powers from ages past were included. If you are the strongest nation of an era you absolutly deserve a spot in this game.
Old April 19, 2003, 15:15   #166
ThePlagueRat
King

Personally, I despise the USA trash-culture spread like a plague here in Europe nowadays... friggin R&B junkmusic and junkfood commercials. Crappy must-see hollywood movies, car-culture, and the lawyer series, aaaargh. Can't take it anymore.
But one thing is sure: Thank God we got the Blues!

Aside from this perverted American culture, exceptions being the Blues, and Rock'n Roll, Heavy Metal, etc. (hehe), USA world hegemony is based on a global economy and just being a military threat. TRADE is the civ keyword. USA is much like the Roman empire in political aspects. Threatening behaviour is used in large amounts, and the military is used to ensure the best trading possibilties. USA and CCCP did much of the same too. And it can all be done in civ, though the Civ3 AI is too stupid to undertand a real threat... They probably felt like keeping up the intimidating tone.

Romans did never meet an ideological foe such as Soviet, but they also used cultural influence on other civs, and invaded where they met resistance. History tell us such empires eventually falls apart. Caused by many things, but most important... They produce much anger in those areas it interferes. Some people fund it disrespectful and troublesome, and at last Romans had so many enemies, they couldn't deal with them all.
See the todays parallel?

Last edited by ThePlagueRat; April 19, 2003 at 15:27.
Old April 21, 2003, 11:48   #167
Divvy
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by ottok
NO.
USA ISNT CIVILIZATION IT IS MILITARISATION!

THIS IS A one reason,which are build a terrorism.

And anyway! Who is the Saddam? Whot fool hee doo...

is only tell that its HATE all to usa! Some one others think same... Why only saddam? And after Saddam,there at cam a seccond men who tells"USA IS SATAN!" and became the leader! But he at also maybe the TO MUCH DANGER than saddam newer!!
Why oh why do I live in the same country as this guy?
Old April 21, 2003, 12:25   #168
Azeem
Prince

Why yes, ThePlagueRat, we (I am an American, although some racists who pledge blind patriotism would say otherwise ) are very much like the Roman Empire.

I think America SHOULD be a civ quite simply because we have been an influential world power for over 200 years. That's quite a short period of time compared to nations like Egypt, China, and Rome, but a lot the US has had a MASSIVE influence on what occurs in the world in recent years.

"American" culture did originate from the Europe, but nowadays we have a more distinct culture (although I find it hideously trashy as well, but it sure is funny ). We are very much multi-cultural though numerous politicians and Neo-Nazis are still too stubborn to figure out that America is an IMMIGRANT country.

Although there is no way CivIII can really simulate a stable (er, somewhat stable :rolleyes ) multi-cultural nation, it is good that they included us both for historical, personal, and gameplay reasons.

Let me reiterate that CivIII puts us in "What if" situations. What if Abraham Lincoln enslaved foreign workers? What if the Arabs really built the Great Wall? What if the Aztecs invaded the US? What if Mao was really a nice and intelligent guy?
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old April 21, 2003, 13:38   #169
ThePlagueRat
King

That's right Azeem. USA is a country very much influnted by foreign (immigrant) cultures, and at the same time has the biggest influence on other cultures. The not yet obsolete "Hollywood Wonder" has a bit too much to do with it if you ask me.

Every day it's running some Hollywood movie on many local and regional TV-stations here in Europe. Some of them are pretty good, like Stanley Kubrick's. But when we watch the typical trash, we use to say: "Waste of time... cr(h)appy ending... Too damn American! "

With "too damn American", we mean it's very much black and white, bad vs. good, moralistic, religious, or so on. Hmm...
Very rarely they run a Bollywood here... Speaking of India, I hope we get some more cultural influence (or rather inspiration) from those parts soon.

And yes, Civ3 is pretty much a "what if..." game. The realpolitcal aspects of military power play a bigger role in the game, and culture bit is just being a part of the empirebuilding.
Old April 21, 2003, 13:50   #170
ThePlagueRat
King

Speaking of world hegemony.....

Some historians now predict a change of course:
The US hegemony will fall in about 15 to 25 years from now.
That means not destruction of american culture, mind you. It's limited how long such foreign politics that has been commited can go on. It has been done before, and it's not a good long term strategy. Recent foreign politics has put the empire in slightly the same position as Rome were in. When Rome fell... It has created too many enemies, and other powers are competing for the 'throne'. Well, that's what many intellectuals state, and I tend to agree with them. (They are educated people, in studies of different empires)

Old April 21, 2003, 13:59   #171
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 11:27
Personally, I have no problem with the US being in the game. I am amused by the city graphics/cultural grouping, but hey, it's just a game. I often conquer America. I hardly ever play it.

But if America being a civ in CivIII bothers you, just fire up the editor and change them to the Incas. One could argue that the traits are fine as-is, so all you gotta do is come up with a good ancient/early medieval UU.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old April 24, 2003, 01:15   #172
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Americans should have been Commercial and Industrious, IMO. I believe these two traits reflect America's nature throughout its existence. Expansionist only makes sense during the early days of colonization, and its in-game realisation makes no sense for the Americans. Religious also only makes sense for the early days of America. It is quite clear that religion has been important for the American people, but almost never has it governed the country's policies, unlike commercial and industrial enterprises.

A nice gameplay effect of making America Commercial/Industrious is that it would become a late-game power in Civ3 (as it should be), as opposed to an early-game one (because of the Expansionist trait).

I'm not entirely sure which civ would fill the Expansionist/Industrious slot, however (especially pre-PTW).

Dominae
Old April 24, 2003, 10:52   #173
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
The Americans should have been Commercial and Industrious, IMO. I believe these two traits reflect America's nature throughout its existence. Expansionist only makes sense during the early days of colonization, and its in-game realisation makes no sense for the Americans. Religious also only makes sense for the early days of America. It is quite clear that religion has been important for the American people, but almost never has it governed the country's policies, unlike commercial and industrial enterprises.

A nice gameplay effect of making America Commercial/Industrious is that it would become a late-game power in Civ3 (as it should be), as opposed to an early-game one (because of the Expansionist trait).

I'm not entirely sure which civ would fill the Expansionist/Industrious slot, however (especially pre-PTW).

Dominae
hi ,

well the expansion trait is good , imagine that you take over a city far away , kind off the same as a forward military base , ....

agreed some civs , like the US should have a third trait , lets hope there are more traits on their way

have a nice day
Old April 24, 2003, 11:11   #174
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Should America be a Civ: ppfff NEVER

Now, should Canada be a Civ: Now you Talk Baby!!!

Canada can have some many specials units:
Workers became WoodCutters.... they work twice as normal...

We got ugly prime minister for intimidation.(enemy asking less than normal in trade and diplomacy)

Canada can have some "Courreurs de Bois", like scoots but they can have a attack of one.

One serious thing Canada can have is the Avro Arrow:
" The Avro Arrow was a revolutionary jet interceptor, designed and built by the A.V. Roe Aircraft company of Canada. The Arrow was a plane of firsts, fly by wire, computer control, integral missile system and capable of MACH 2+. The year was 1958, and the COLD WAR was raging." But the production of the CF-105(avro arrow)was cancelled.... Mainly for one reason... And you can guest:

A recently declassified U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense memorandum dated June 1, 1960 says:
"Prior to the NSC (National Security Council) paper (December 1958) and following a visit of the President to Canada in July 1958, Canada took the following actions with the understanding that her defense industry depended largely upon the U.S. channelling defense business into Canada; cancelled the CF-105 and related systems contracts; decided to make maximum use of U.S. developed weapons, integrated into NORAD; worked with U.S. toward a fully integrated continental defence."

Some 14,000 employees were fired immediately. Within two months, five superb flying machines and a more powerful sixth, which had been within days of takeoff, were ordered reduced to scrap. Also, 31 others in various stages of assembly, along with all parts, drawings, accessories, blueprints and photographs were ordered destroyed.
Even today, some Canadians are unaware of the aircraft's existence, yet it still ranks as one of the most technically challenging projects ever undertaken in this country.

Canada always get f*uck... But maybe the Senators of Ottawa will win the Stanley Cup.
===
===
Just imagine Jean Chretien the animated leader

===

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by CrONoS; April 24, 2003 at 11:28.
Old April 24, 2003, 11:36   #175
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cronos_qc
Should America be a Civ: ppfff NEVER

Now, should Canada be a Civ: Now you Talk Baby!!!

Canada can have some many specials units:
Workers became WoodCutters.... they work twice as normal...

We got ugly prime minister for intimidation.(enemy asking less than normal in trade and diplomacy)

Canada can have some "Courreurs de Bois", like scoots but they can have a attack of one.

One serious thing Canada can have is the Avro Arrow:
" The Avro Arrow was a revolutionary jet interceptor, designed and built by the A.V. Roe Aircraft company of Canada. The Arrow was a plane of firsts, fly by wire, computer control, integral missile system and capable of MACH 2+. The year was 1958, and the COLD WAR was raging." But the production of the CF-105(avro arrow)was cancelled.... Mainly for one reason... And you can guest:

A recently declassified U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense memorandum dated June 1, 1960 says:
"Prior to the NSC (National Security Council) paper (December 1958) and following a visit of the President to Canada in July 1958, Canada took the following actions with the understanding that her defense industry depended largely upon the U.S. channelling defense business into Canada; cancelled the CF-105 and related systems contracts; decided to make maximum use of U.S. developed weapons, integrated into NORAD; worked with U.S. toward a fully integrated continental defence."

Some 14,000 employees were fired immediately. Within two months, five superb flying machines and a more powerful sixth, which had been within days of takeoff, were ordered reduced to scrap. Also, 31 others in various stages of assembly, along with all parts, drawings, accessories, blueprints and photographs were ordered destroyed.
Even today, some Canadians are unaware of the aircraft's existence, yet it still ranks as one of the most technically challenging projects ever undertaken in this country.

Canada always get f*uck... But maybe the Senators of Ottawa will win the Stanley Cup.
===
===
Just imagine Jean Chretien the animated leader

===
hi ,

and canada can still not make certain deals , .... the commonwealth or the queen has to sign , ....

if that plane really is so good , then how come that they use the f16 , ....

have a nice day
Old April 24, 2003, 11:42   #176
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Dibt forget that last thread was Ironic and Sarcastic... Canada do not deserve to be a Civilization. Even if i'm canadian I know who we are.
And I really dont think the queen or commonwealth got to sign anything for US. I think she's there if we want to change our Constitution.
==
But for the plane:

"6 Made plane were scrapped, also, 31 others in various stages of assembly, along with all parts, drawings, accessories, blueprints and photographs were ordered destroyed."
But why U.S.A. didn't bought the place... that's the question!

and something else:
In a book titled -- Apollo: The Race to the Moon, published in 1969 by Simon and Shuster of New York, authors Charles Murray and Catherine Bly-Cox had this to sav about the Contribution to the American space programs made by the ex-Avro team of Canadians that went down to NASA after the cancellation of the Arrow program.

" As the Space Task Group's burden was threatening to overwhelm it, the Canadian government unintentionally gave the American space program its luckiest break since Wernher von Braun had surrendered to the Americans ------ The Canadians never gained much public recognition for their contribution to the manned space program, but to the people within the program their contribution was incalculable"
The book also quotes one of the original American Space Task Group engineers as saying, about the Canadians ;

" They had it all over us, in many areas------ just brilliant guys ---- They were more mature and they were bright as hell and talented and professional, to a man."
==
http://www.avroarrow.org/

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by CrONoS; April 24, 2003 at 12:29.