Old January 31, 2003, 10:46   #1
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 11:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Extorting cities from other civs
With 1.29f, it seems that civs will no longer give you even their most lamest cities in exchange for peace. Has that been the experience of everyone else? I have noticed that I am able to occasionally get a city from a civ if I put it on the negotiation screen and then choose the 'Accept this deal or take the consequences' option. Of course, it was only a city which had no resources - but at least it's something. If anyone has found other ways to get the enemy to peacefully hand over their cities to you (other than culture flipping) under 1.29f, please share your ideas.
Old January 31, 2003, 10:58   #2
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 16:28
During my last game I got 3 (poor) german cities in exchange for peace.
Old January 31, 2003, 11:01   #3
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Nym
During my last game I got 3 (poor) german cities in exchange for peace.
Were you playing 1.29f? On what level of difficulty? How far ahead of Germans were you in power & culture?
Old January 31, 2003, 13:41   #4
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 16:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi

Were you playing 1.29f? On what level of difficulty? How far ahead of Germans were you in power & culture?
I was playing 1.29f on Monarch level. I was a little bit stronger than the Germans in power and about 3 or 4 times stronger in culture.
Note: The Germans were also at war with the Egyptians.
Old January 31, 2003, 18:19   #5
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 09:28
In PTW 1.14f, I (the mightiest civ), got the second civ (which virtually EVERYONE was at war with) got them to give a population 1 city that I had been attacking for peace.

Unless you're hammering the other civ, they won't give up cities.
Old January 31, 2003, 18:39   #6
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

Local Time: 10:28
I had that experience also. In the older patches. You could threaten withe a large enough army and simply extort cities from the AI. In PTW. Unless you are fighting the AI and have already taken at least one of their cities, they wont won't give u any in exchange for peace.
Old January 31, 2003, 22:44   #7
arslankhan
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:28
In a recent game, I got China to give me one of its crappier cities and we were'nt even at war at the time. On a whim I threatened them with war unless they handed over, noone was more surprised than me when they did. I was pretty far ahead of them in tech at the time. Later, when they had caught up I guess, they were much more resistant and wouldnt hand over a thing.

BTW, Im on PTW 1.14F
Old February 1, 2003, 07:14   #8
Brundlefly
Prince

The example I gave happened during peacetime as well. I'm China and I got Babylon to give me one of their cities. I always go for building strong culture no matter who I play. On the border with Babylon, I built cities one square away from Babylon cities and then pumped the culture so that most of the squares in their city radius is part of my territory (and they still wont flip!). I guess I was able to extort a city from them because of this and that I have a slight military advantage. And because I have a stack of units next to one of their cities..
Old February 1, 2003, 16:44   #9
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:28
Yes, having a big army and threatening them do the trick. Forget about other ways.
Old February 2, 2003, 17:48   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 03:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
In PtW I have never seen the AI give a city with any cultural value nor one that has resources within a radius of two, regardless of whether they are using them or not.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old February 3, 2003, 02:23   #11
wilbill
Warlord

That's certainly been my experience with PTW. It's very difficult to get them to part with even the "1" sized junk cities built on tundra or desert. Not that I'd often bother to ask for them, lol.
Old February 3, 2003, 02:47   #12
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 17:28
Quote:
Originally posted by wilbill
That's certainly been my experience with PTW. It's very difficult to get them to part with even the "1" sized junk cities built on tundra or desert. Not that I'd often bother to ask for them, lol.
If that tundra city is close to a resource (usually oil) they won't give it up easily. And as we all know, it doesn't matter if the oil is visible yet.
Old February 3, 2003, 05:03   #13
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

And then if you want oil later in the game, you know in advance where it will be. Just take that city from the AI while it's still small and weak. I use this "AI cheating" to plan ahead, and actively go after the little cities they won't trade.
Hmm, you'll give me a size 4 grassland city, but not the size 1 city in the artic wastes... I wonder why?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 3, 2003, 07:15   #14
Daz
Prince

Yep, worked for me. 129f and got like 3 cities in a peace deal. Yes, they were crappy cities, but 3 is 3
And, yes, I was stronger than the opponent.

In my recent game however I took 8 Russian cities (all the great ones incl. Moscow) which left the Ruskies with one large (now capital) and several small island cities. I tried to swap the small ones for peace but Katarina wont hear of it! Kinda strange since my empire is huuge and my army also.
Old February 3, 2003, 17:38   #15
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
In PtW I have never seen the AI give a city with any cultural value nor one that has resources within a radius of two, regardless of whether they are using them or not.
I've done it. I'm playing a Monarch level PTW game as Rome, and was fighting Egypt. Egypt was pretty strong, right behind the Ottomans and, of course, me. I marched into the Egyptian core, took away their gems, and burned Thebes to the ground. I received a size 3 tundra city with an oil resource for peace.

Cities with resources are much harder to get out of the AI than cities w/o resources, but you can get them if you are really ripping the AI civ up in war. My army is much larger than theirs, my culture is better, I have good tech lead, and I burned their capitol.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 3, 2003, 21:55   #16
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I've done it....

Cities with resources are much harder to get out of the AI than cities w/o resources, but you can get them if you are really ripping the AI civ up in war. My army is much larger than theirs, my culture is better, I have good tech lead, and I burned their capitol.

-Arrian
And people wonder where the Dark Side is...

/snickers

Arrian the builder

/end snickers

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.