Old January 31, 2003, 14:05   #1
xpfusion
Settler

Local Time: 16:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How can I get rid of the Global Warming?
How can I eliminate Global Warming from Play The World? I do not want to eliminate pollution alltogether, because I still want pollution from factories and large cities. But I just want to stop terrain from changing due to global warming. There is an option in the editor that says "Pollution Effect", that can be set to NONE for each terrain type. Will this eliminate global warming? In the help topics pollution effect is explained like this: "Selects the terrain type (if any) that a tile of the selected terrain type will become if pollution stays on that tile for an extended length of time. For example, grassland would become plains, and plains would become desert."

This does not seem to be eliminating global warming. Does anyone have experience with this?
Old January 31, 2003, 14:20   #2
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 17:28
Re: How can I get rid of the Global Warming?
Quote:
Originally posted by xpfusion
How can I eliminate Global Warming from Play The World? I do not want to eliminate pollution alltogether, because I still want pollution from factories and large cities. But I just want to stop terrain from changing due to global warming. There is an option in the editor that says "Pollution Effect", that can be set to NONE for each terrain type. Will this eliminate global warming? In the help topics pollution effect is explained like this: "Selects the terrain type (if any) that a tile of the selected terrain type will become if pollution stays on that tile for an extended length of time. For example, grassland would become plains, and plains would become desert."

This does not seem to be eliminating global warming. Does anyone have experience with this?
hi ,

in the editor , look at the terrain , change the pollution effect from basic terrain to the terrain you are viewing , do this for each type of terrain and you are save , ...

have a nice day
Old January 31, 2003, 14:29   #3
xpfusion
Settler

Thanks for your reply. I'm just wondering why it says in help: "Selects the terrain type (if any) that a tile of the selected terrain type will become if pollution stays on that tile for an extended length of time". Seems like it only stops terrain from changing when pollution is on that very tile, while global warming causes random tiles to change based on the number of polluted squares on the map. Are you sure global warming too will be eliminated if I set the values in pollution effect to the same terrain types I am viewing?
Old January 31, 2003, 14:37   #4
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I'm just wondering why it says in help: "Selects the terrain type (if any) that a tile of the selected terrain type will become if pollution stays on that tile for an extended length of time". Seems like it only stops terrain from changing when pollution is on that very tile, while global warming causes random tiles to change based on the number of polluted squares on the map. Are you sure global warming too will be eliminated if I set the values in pollution effect to the same terrain types I am viewing?
hi ,

yes you shall stop global warming , because the terrain change is the same , instead of the default global warming type ( dessert ) , ....

you shall still have "regular" pollution , that by the way seems to effect terrain aswell , just leave it a long period of time , ..... but if you do the above change it does not affect the terrain , ...

have a nice day
Old January 31, 2003, 16:47   #5
mattcj
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:28
S T O P N U K I N G ! ! ! !
Old January 31, 2003, 16:59   #6
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 08:28
xpfusion,

Yes making those editor changes will stop global warming. You will still the message "terrain changed due to global warming" but sun will not grow larger and terrain will not change.

== PF
Old January 31, 2003, 18:30   #7
xpfusion
Settler

How about just setting the pollution effect values to NONE?
Old January 31, 2003, 20:14   #8
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
How about just setting the pollution effect values to NONE?
He said he wanted pollution to be in the game, just no global warming.
Old January 31, 2003, 20:55   #9
xpfusion
Settler

yes it was me who said it, but if pollution effect is set to none, then there would still be pollution, right? just no effect to the terrain?
Old February 1, 2003, 07:04   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
yes it was me who said it, but if pollution effect is set to none, then there would still be pollution, right? just no effect to the terrain?
hi ,

if you mean with "effect" terrain that becomes dessert , the answer is yes

and its great to play like this , just watch out where you use those nukes , they still make mountains into plains

have a nice day
Old February 1, 2003, 10:16   #11
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Hey, thanks for the great info, guys. I didn't realize this. Thank you very much.

Colonel
Old February 1, 2003, 14:45   #12
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

P.S. ; you can put polution on a map in the editor , ....

have a nice polution free day
Old February 3, 2003, 06:33   #13
Centauri18
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Maybe you could have the pollution change desert to Flood Plain?
Old February 3, 2003, 06:49   #14
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Centauri18
Maybe you could have the pollution change desert to Flood Plain?
hi ,

no , "floodplain" is desert with a river running true it , ..... so that shall only help if pollution strikes near grassland or plains and make them desert , the desert is also the default setting , .....

but you can set it to plains or grassland , .....

or any other of the options you want , ....

have a nice day
Old February 3, 2003, 07:03   #15
Centauri18
Prince

Changing it to grassland would be pretty cool. But it would sure mess with people's heads. And if Global Warming turned desert into plains or grassland, would you even do anything about it?
Old February 3, 2003, 07:28   #16
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Centauri18
Changing it to grassland would be pretty cool. But it would sure mess with people's heads. And if Global Warming turned desert into plains or grassland, would you even do anything about it?
hi ,

one way to get the attention of others , being it the AI or other players is to set the pollution terrain to coast , ....

correction on floodplain ; if you take a look in the editor you have the option to put it as the default pollution terrain , ........ but dont ask if this gives the river with it , ..... never tried that one before , .....

have a nice day
Old February 3, 2003, 19:18   #17
Sinapus
Warlord

Local Time: 09:28
Found that assigning a negative pollution value to an improvement does work. However, if the improvement is provided by a Wonder, it doesn't work. Specifically, Hoover Dam. Had Hydro plants set to provide -2 pollution. Built Hoover and it didn't make the pollution symbols vanish. Played another game, built a factory and a hydro plant and the pollution symbols vanished when the hydroplant was built.
Old February 3, 2003, 19:54   #18
Amesjustin
NationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
one way to get the attention of others , being it the AI or other players is to set the pollution terrain to coast , ....
In my upcoming mod, Flood plains turn to coast (to represent over-flooding of the flood plain). Tundra also turns to grasslands, to plains, to desert. Coast to sea to ocean. Play long enough with pollution out of control and the world drowns.

Last edited by Amesjustin; February 3, 2003 at 20:01.
Old February 3, 2003, 20:59   #19
Centauri18
Prince

That actually makes a lot of sense. Like the polar icecaps melting.
Old February 3, 2003, 22:46   #20
Amesjustin
Warlord

That was the plan. The land masses continue to shrink and desertify (if that is even a word) if pollution grows. I added a lot more pollution to several improvements, and added almost as much expensive improvements with negative pollution. That way if you want the production boost, you will risk destroying the planet with your pollution unless you shell out some dough to build these improvements. At that point you are basically trading economy for production, which you may or may not need to do depending on your situation.

I also made the best anti-pollution buildings only available to Democracy. The downside to demacracy is that the people REALLY revolt now if you are at war, so Diplomacy becomes much more important if you want to maintain the planet....

I think I am getting off topic, so I will just end this post here.
Old February 4, 2003, 07:19   #21
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinapus
Found that assigning a negative pollution value to an improvement does work. However, if the improvement is provided by a Wonder, it doesn't work. Specifically, Hoover Dam. Had Hydro plants set to provide -2 pollution. Built Hoover and it didn't make the pollution symbols vanish. Played another game, built a factory and a hydro plant and the pollution symbols vanished when the hydroplant was built.
hi ,

try to flag "removes building pollution" and "removes pop polution" , it should work then , ......

have a nice day
Old February 4, 2003, 15:36   #22
xpfusion
Settler

The reason why I started this thread, is that I HATE when terrain is changing. I my scenarios, I always set worker job to NONE for every terrain. Only thing that can be done, is mining and irrigation. Not even forests can be cut down. I guess, when I've worked for days building a cool map, I don't want it to change in the game.

However, removing pollution alltogether makes the game very unrealistic. I want pollution to appear so that civs have to deal with pollution problems and clean it up, build recycling centres, mass transits, etc. But I can really do without the damned global warming. In my new scenario, I've set the pollution effect for every terrain to NONE, and hopefully this will work. We'll see when I get industrialized... If terrain start changing again I'll snap.
Old February 5, 2003, 05:49   #23
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
The reason why I started this thread, is that I HATE when terrain is changing. I my scenarios, I always set worker job to NONE for every terrain. Only thing that can be done, is mining and irrigation. Not even forests can be cut down. I guess, when I've worked for days building a cool map, I don't want it to change in the game.

However, removing pollution alltogether makes the game very unrealistic. I want pollution to appear so that civs have to deal with pollution problems and clean it up, build recycling centres, mass transits, etc. But I can really do without the damned global warming. In my new scenario, I've set the pollution effect for every terrain to NONE, and hopefully this will work. We'll see when I get industrialized... If terrain start changing again I'll snap.
hi ,

huh , workers to none , so how do you build railroads then after a they are blown up , ......

setting the terrain to "none" will results indeed to no changes what so ever because of global warming , ......

the only way to change them , and its only mountains to hill's and hill's to grassland is true nukes , .....

have a nice day
Old February 5, 2003, 06:33   #24
Centauri18
Prince

Amesjustin, that is a really freakin' cool idea.
Old February 5, 2003, 07:49   #25
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I just discovered this -- excellent! I've hated the terrain change feature, especially since they removed the engineer transform feature.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 5, 2003, 16:57   #26
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Amesjustin,

A fantastic concept that will definately make you make some interesting choices, but also parrallels reality.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old February 5, 2003, 19:29   #27
Amesjustin
Warlord

Yeah you really have to think about where you put your cities Coastal and Flood Plains especially.

But I don't want to hijack XPFusions thread. He doesn't like changing terrain, and I think this mod in particular really does not appeal to him.

Removing worker jobs and setting the pollution effect to none in the Terrain tab of the editor should eliminate the issue of terrain changing for you.