Old January 31, 2003, 16:39   #1
bigfree1

An Option for MP: A Timely Situation
I'd like to see the option, while in game to be able to switch from a simutaneous game to a turn based game, while keeping the turn timer intact.

In games in which a lot of units are involved, it takes more time than is allotted to complete all of your moves, especially if you are attacking someone with a stack of units. It seems that the first few outcomes of the battle are determined pretty quickly. Then it just slows to a practical crawl. I've had moments where I've instructed a stack to attack a city and they wont finnish during that turn, and then in the next turn the units that DID actully attack during the previous turn didn't have any movements points to attack in this next turn. I guess because they are all considered as a part of the stack (which is still attacking from the command given at the beginning and is still going on in the second turn.

All or most of the parties would have to agree with the switch; maybe a way in which a vote could be tallied at the behest of the Host.

A timer could still be used in a turn based game (you only have a certain amount of time to get the moves made; but if you take away simulataneous moves it would allow for faster combat resoloution. In my observations it is clear that leaving the timer alone but changing the fact that all civ don't move at the same time will speed up the process of combat.

I'm guessing the game has to "look" at each square, for each civ to determine if a unit is able to move there and what if any combat situations exist. Being that all moves can take palce at any time, this check is in constant action. Taking away simultaneous moves relieves this requirement, speeding the game along, especially in combat.

It is important to be able to start the game in simultaneous mode, because it moves the game along at a good pace early on, this move is needed for later stages when more units are employed by the players.

Old January 31, 2003, 20:12   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 10:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's not automatic but you can do that now. Start the game as si-move. Save it once you think it'd be better as turn-based. Quit. Load game as turn-based. Chat with the folks in the game to coordinate the transition.
Old February 1, 2003, 03:30   #3
bigfree1

Thanks, but I know this; that's why asked for the ability to be in game. Getting coordinated to re-load a game is a drag sometimes. An in-game solution would be nice.