Old February 1, 2003, 10:08   #31
Firelad
Settler

Local Time: 17:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Hey, I was an unwilling loner and then went out and made some friends and now my weekends are full of fun and excitement
Old February 1, 2003, 10:29   #32
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 17:30
they dont let me be a loner the bastards
Old February 1, 2003, 10:32   #33
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 15:30
Old February 1, 2003, 11:13   #34
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 08:30
Sorry guys, you're not really a loner when you're hanging out here with your buds at Apolyton.

Hey, everybody...GROUP HUG!!
Old February 1, 2003, 11:46   #35
Jac de Molay

Im a loner, too. I can handle about one hour straight of listening to stories/talking/social situations, then I'll just flat out leave wherever I am . I appreciate the quiet moments I have by myself, when I can time for them.

Im reading a good book about lonerism and the history of loners call Party of One: the Loner's Manifesto.
I recommend it.

Old February 1, 2003, 15:16   #36
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:30
I'm not a loner. Y'all are freaks.

Just kidding.

(No, not really, I'm completely serious. The lot of you are nuttier than fruitcakes.)
Old February 1, 2003, 15:24   #37
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 10:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Bah... you've got nothing on me...

I'm a guy whose favorites are anime, history and computer programming. Find another guy (or especially a girl) with those 3 tastes and I will PAY you...

Well, not really...

Sure, I've got one for you. (and a girl too) but she lives in NY and shes taken.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I'm a loner that likes being around people

honest
So do I, I much prefer being out of the spotlight and observe how people interact. My geeky friends dont let me do this cause they're bunch of losers. Im always the leader.

With more outgoing friends I shy away from being the "leader".
Old February 1, 2003, 15:40   #38
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

MRT - I don't think you're a loner, just lonely. And you *will* be meeting new people in college, many of whom will be people with similar interests and outlooks on life. College can be a profoundly enhancing experience, and not just because of the educational opportunities.

A loner is someone who *prefers* their own company most times, and is not lonely when alone. I am a loner. My interests and hobbies are singular in nature. Gardening, reading, computers, and wood-working are not group activities. That doesn't mean I have no friends, a loner doesn't have to be a hermit. But I can enjoy being by myself the entire weekend.

Another clue to wether one is a loner is why you get together with other people. If it is just to be around others and to "hang out", then you aren't a loner. A loner gets together with other people mainly to *do* something specific. See a movie, go fishing, go to a tool expo, etc.

A lot of people assume that loners are grumpy, miserable folk who hate other people. Far from it. I am civil, humerous, and well-liked at the office. People interest me; but from an observer sort of way. Their gregariousness fascinates, being so different from my own preference. But the world needs observers, too.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old February 1, 2003, 17:04   #39
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Nicely put Cavebear... You kind of defined something that wasnt defined by words in my head.
Old February 1, 2003, 18:05   #40
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 16:30
Quote:
People interest me; but from an observer sort of way. Their gregariousness fascinates, being so different from my own preference. But the world needs observers, too.
Old February 1, 2003, 18:44   #41
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 09:30
Let's put it this way: If I were to die today, at the start of my vacation from work, my corpse likely wouldn't be discovered until Friday at the earliest, when my family comes up for the weekend.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old February 1, 2003, 22:16   #42
Caesar the Great
Emperor

i wanna be adored
Old February 1, 2003, 22:19   #43
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Caesar the Great
i wanna be adored
I am adored
Now all I need is a statue of myself from my friends...
Old February 1, 2003, 23:55   #44
MattHiggs
King

I can go a long time without spending time with friends as I can keep myself entertained quite easily. I do like being alone, but ultimately I love being with people. Out of the last four weeks I've not been alone more than an hour or two except for sleeping.
Old February 2, 2003, 00:08   #45
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

EDIT: Never mind all that....yep....a loner....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 2, 2003, 01:10   #46
Curiosity
Warlord

Nice suming up by cavebear

I'm like paiktis; an unwilling extrovert. I used to be a complete loner, shunning people in favour of my own thoughts. Unlike cavebear, I didn't even have the grace to let people know I could be a nice guy. I'm naturally gifted in looking wierd and threatening, so it was never hard to get people to go away.

Then when I got to this university, a bunch of well-presented, sociable, and I guess you'd say 'popular' people just started following me around. For some reason none of the usual ploys - rudely ignoring them, evil body odour, appearance that would embarrass a tramp - made them leave me alone. They kept dragging me into new social situations when even I wouldn't have been seen dead with me.

As a result I actually ended up developing some social skills. (To give you some idea - someone had to teach me that 'eye contact' referred to looking someone in the eyes. Such a strange idea...) And now, a couple of years on, I find myself acting the extrovert, hanging out, chatting easily with total strangers, even being centre of attention in a group and quite liking it.

I still enjoy being on my own, and I could probably still go weeks without any human contact, quite happily. But I'm starting to quite like people. I'm even thinking about experimenting with the whole relationship thing. Before, it always seemed far too intimate to be tolerable.

Ah, but at least I still have the internet to come and express my wierd side.

MRT,

Life can be awfully strange, but you can find enjoyment in the path it takes you down at almost any time. If you can't express yourself socially right now then you can become absorbed in the other things that interest you, which may well stand you in better stead later on. And I'm certain that you'll meet lots of people at college.
Old February 2, 2003, 01:15   #47
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

well, i am writing a bunch of music right now...which is a lot of fun for me...i still wish someone would call and ask me how im doing, once in a while
Old February 2, 2003, 01:23   #48
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
I'm a loner, and won't have it any-other way.
Likewise. Quite often I find I can only handle other people in small doses. The last couple of years I've become practically a hermit. It gets to me sometimes, but I usually snap out of it after a day or two.
Old February 2, 2003, 01:27   #49
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MRT144
well, i am writing a bunch of music right now...which is a lot of fun for me...i still wish someone would call and ask me how im doing, once in a while
Writing music is definitely a good way to spend time by yourself, I've done it myself. I'm planning on doing some recording soon, now that I have the computer gear I need. Once I get a few tunes down, I intend on putting up a web site with a few complete songs for everyone to hear.
Old February 2, 2003, 01:30   #50
Zero
King

I rarely look people in the eye. So most of the time people think Im busy thinking to myself when im talking to them. Actually I do. My last girlfriend had a bad firs impression of me cause she thought I was staring at her @$$ the first time we met, when I was zoned out, busy thinking about something, not noticing where my eyes were....
Old February 2, 2003, 01:39   #51
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
Sure, I've got one for you. (and a girl too) but she lives in NY and shes taken.
Did I mention without a New England accent?

Old February 2, 2003, 01:40   #52
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
What do you call a collection of loners?

The Apolyton OT forum.

Blessed be Ming and the others...
Old February 2, 2003, 01:44   #53
Zero
King

Is NY accent good enough for ya? Like "Coffee"....

She's not 100% exactly taken, but shes got a guy friend that she still isn't ready to admit is her boyfriend. She's gotta realize this sooner or later. They're made for each other.

Girls that like Anime isnt too hard here, and without an accent is possible... but CSE reduces the possibility significantly (well that is, good looking ones) and interest in history downright eliminates virtually anyone leftover.
Old February 2, 2003, 02:51   #54
Jon Shafer

Agreed.

Someone who weighs less than than and is a bit more attractive than me, preferably.
Old February 2, 2003, 03:03   #55
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay
I have a small group of good friends, both from high school and college. Other than them, I prefer to be alone.
same

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui