Old February 1, 2003, 16:45   #1
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 10:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Time to create your own custom Civ for MP!
I would put this in MP thread, but topic is more relevant to strategy...

Im currently playing a hotseat game with bunch of hallmates. We play on tueday, wednesday and some thursday nights while we are watching must see tv on NBC. Anyway the rule of this game is Conquest, Spaceship, cultural only and helicopter carries 4 infantries as opposed to 1 (to promote use of inf).

Civs can be customized and given any 2 UUs. Since its a hotseat game and game will last long, I chose Greek avatar for its geekiness on modern era with Rel/Ind trait and jag warriors and Riders.

Im also thinking about playing a turnless games with them if my friends pick up copy of ptw using the same rules. With all default rules except Custom 2 trait + custom 1 UU. What are your suggestions for the customization?

My plan: Mil/Sci + Jag warrior or Legions
Its basically uber ancient Germany
Old February 1, 2003, 17:07   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

mounted warriors and hoplites would kick a little too much ass early on.
Old February 1, 2003, 18:08   #3
DaveMcW
Prince

It depends a lot on the map. If pangea, you need to concentrate all your firepower in the ancient era. If you are alone on your continent, you can beeline for knights or cavalry.
Old February 1, 2003, 18:46   #4
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

The Hotseat game is continental. For the Turnless game we'll probabaly make it pangea.

Although I thought about having M.W for turnless game, Legion or Immortal would be more suitable if Im going Sci/mil. Reason why I wanna go sci/mil is to apply German early aggression strategy (early arch/spear rush while researching IW)

we got 2 mil/rel, 3 com/ind and 2 mil/ind players. 5 of them has panzers.. we'll see how this game turns out.

Last edited by Zero; February 1, 2003 at 18:55.
Old February 1, 2003, 22:14   #5
Aeson
Emperor

Local Time: 09:32
Do you get to pick your starting techs too, or just linked to your traits? Can you pick the Wheel for a 'Japanese' Militaristic?
Old February 1, 2003, 22:36   #6
Zero
King

Yeah, wheel or WC is acceptable for mil. But You have to stick with starting tech that your trait is relevant to. You can be rel/exp and have bronze and alphabet.
Old February 1, 2003, 22:59   #7
Aeson
Emperor

If you take The Wheel and Bronze Working it does set back the Archer/Spearman rush a bit, but you'd be able to see Horses right off, and one tech from Iron.

You could go for the Numidian Mercs, as they would be available from the start, have a longer lifespan than either Spearmen or Archers, and fulfill two roles. It would probably be better to hold off on the early conquest until you have Horses/Swords though.
Old February 2, 2003, 00:43   #8
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

How about a Sci/Mil civ that starts with The Wheel with War Chariots as its UU? The GA would come extremely early, but the potential for an early or ultra-early rush could be awesome. Mounted Warriors would probably be even nastier in that context - research one tech and away you go. Horseback Riding is actually cheaper than Iron Working - the same cost as Alphabet.
Old February 2, 2003, 02:21   #9
DaveMcW
Prince

Yes, MWs on a militaristic civ would be incredible. Great Leaders everywhere! Add industrious or expansionist for a fast start, and you don't even need a second UU.
Old February 3, 2003, 14:51   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 11:32
Industrious/Militaristic. Choose The Wheel as militaristic start tech.

UUs: a powerful ancient/a powerful medieval. I'd probably go Mounted Warriors and Riders, but then you could be screwed if you don't have immediate access to horses. Therefore, you may want to go with Legionaries or Immortals in the ancient age, and then Riders later.

Edit: Actually another way to go would be to use the same traits, with Mounted Warriors and Impi. If you're on the same continent as your rivals... oh, dear, are they dead.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 3, 2003, 20:54   #11
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

With JW and Riders, your friends should never see Panzers.

I would pick religious, industrious, MW and Rider. Then pray for horses.
Old February 3, 2003, 20:56   #12
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Oh, and I agree with Arrian. I like Impi's better than Hoplites to go with MWs. Super-mobile early invasion force. Pick mil/sci and take BW and Wheel. Kill everyone.
Old February 4, 2003, 13:38   #13
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 15:32
If you're set on an archer/spear type rush, go with mil/ind and bowmen. Bowmen would allow you to replace scientific with a better rush trait as they're better than spearmen and could partially replace swords/legions.

But then I saw this:

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
For the Turnless game we'll probabaly make it pangea.
and this:

Quote:
we got 2 mil/rel, 3 com/ind and 2 mil/ind players. 5 of them has panzers..
At least a standard pangea with no expansionist or scientific civs?
I would go with Ind or Mil and Expansionist with JWs.
JWs are deadly if your opponent doesn't have spearmen and you may have enough huts not to worry about researching at least one of HBR and IW.
Old February 4, 2003, 14:10   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Pangea, and people chose Panzers? Hmm. Doesn't make sense to me.

I'd load up on ancient or medieval units, and do my best to decide things long before Motorized Transport.

The more I think about it, the more I like the MW/Impi combo. Industrious is big, but you can probably toss Militaristic. Either Religious or Expansionist instead would work.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 4, 2003, 23:21   #15
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Panzers are f-cking crazy.

This kind of game will be decided in the ancient era. I like Arrian's last post (MW/Impi and Ind/Exp).

But I could also see a slowmover approach: Immortals/Hoplites and Ind/... uh, Ind? Hmm, how about Mil? Not as good survival odds as fastmovers, military roads that much more important, and cheap barracks for a super-aggressive game.

Damn, that'd be fun.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 5, 2003, 10:12   #16
Arrian
Deity

Theseus,

Imm/Hop... damn, that would be a ***** to deal with. Probably the one of the best counters for my MW/Impi combo (Hoplites/WCs would be nasty too).

Speaking of WCs... Impi/WCs would mean no need for upgrade cash. None. You could either blow a ton of it on swordsmen, or throw it into research.

-Arrian

Old February 5, 2003, 10:38   #17
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 16:32
What about Scientific + Industrious + Numidian Mercenaries + Immortals?

Scientific: Provides BW from the start and lets you build your first UU. 1 tech apart is IW with your 2nd UU --> ultra early warfare.

Industrious: Enormous important for a good start. Gives both fast production and commerce. Builds fast roads for your slowmovers.

On a standard or smaller map, Numidian Mercenaries + Immortals together should be unstoppable by anything up to Cavalry.
Old February 5, 2003, 13:39   #18
Arrian
Deity

My issue with Num. Mercs is that you are paying 50% more shields for a Hoplite with +1 attack. Like I'm gonna risk a 30-shield, 2 attack unit on offense! Especially if I have Immortals available!

I'd rather save the shields for more hoplites to defend my immortals.

-Arrian

Old February 6, 2003, 05:24   #19
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 15:32
Wow. What a concept.
Mounted Warrior guarded by Impi.
The retreat factor makes this an even better combo than Hopilite/Immortal.
Traits- Mil/Ind.
Mil for quicker promotions, better chances of GL and cheap barracks.
Ind for fast mines and roads.
Wheel and WC. Get the Impi immediately then one tech for MW.
Kill everyone.

....and they like the blitz ability of the Panzer....