View Poll Results: Have a nice day
Yes, we are not alone in the universe.... 42 75.00%
Aliens? Thats crazy talk! 9 16.07%
I know that Bananas exist 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 2, 2003, 03:02   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Aliens: Do They Exist?
I'm surprised this thread was never created considering the history channel is doing a huge thing on it......Oh well.
Old February 2, 2003, 03:05   #2
Propaganda
Warlord

Local Time: 08:34
Would anyone like a SpamBurger?
Old February 2, 2003, 03:08   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 10:34
theres millions of them in this country tass, stealing our jobs and ruining our economy. how could you debate their existance?

seriously though, i don't think we're alone. humans will one day see that life isn't sacred, unique to earth. and when we find sentient life, oh boy.
Old February 2, 2003, 03:15   #4
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:34
UberKruX:

just takin' back what was once rightfuly ours...

Tassadar:

Seriously, I find no reason to doubt their existence. With billions of stars in the universe there's bound to be something else wiggling its tail elsewhere, and I don't believe all that religious BS that God made us in his image, frankly it's the other way around. As for aliens having visited Earth, I'm a skeptic but I find it by no means impossible.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 2, 2003, 03:17   #5
Willem
Emperor

When you consider the billions of stars within the billions of galaxies in the universe, the odds that we're the only ones are pretty slim indeed. Whether any of them has actually paid us a visit or not is a different story though.
Old February 2, 2003, 03:18   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

rightfully yours? oh lordy.

first off, i'm gathering you're mexican. are you saying you had no penninsulare (my spelling sucks) in you? you're straight up native american?

and anyway, it's not rightfully yours anyway. we took it, and we took it good. so there.
Old February 2, 2003, 04:36   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

no
Old February 2, 2003, 04:37   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

and the mexicans took it from other people. It was never their land to begin with.
Old February 2, 2003, 04:49   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
and anyway, it's not rightfully yours anyway. we took it, and we took it good. so there.
And their taking it from you good
Old February 2, 2003, 04:52   #10
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

And their taking it from you good
no, they're taking it from us like pansies by abusing the american freedoms, liberties, and social constructs.
Old February 2, 2003, 04:57   #11
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

nobody is taking anything.

The land will stay right where it is.
Old February 2, 2003, 05:30   #12
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
Aliens: Do They Exist?
Yes, and I'm the proof...
Old February 2, 2003, 05:49   #13
Switch
Prince

I believe that God may have places microrganisms on other planets, but anything sapient....I highly doubt it.
Old February 2, 2003, 05:52   #14
Switch
Prince

And if your going with evolution....you'd NEED all of those billions of billions of stars just to have A chance of life. If you really research it, life is INCREDIBLY complex. Even basic life.
Old February 2, 2003, 09:29   #15
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:34
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Continuing lack of evidence from the SETI programme points to one of three conclusions. In our local area of space, ie the area our electromagnetic transmissions have moved through:

1) We are either so hopelessly behind other civilisations that they take no interest in us.

2) We are the most advanced society locally and everyone else is still struggling with fire.

3) We are alone locally and other civilisations are just beyond our broadcast radius and have yet to intercept our transmissions or us their's.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old February 2, 2003, 09:32   #16
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Continuing lack of evidence from the SETI program might also suggest that alien's don't exist.
Old February 2, 2003, 09:42   #17
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
True but that's just an awful waste of space.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old February 2, 2003, 10:11   #18
VJ
King

Tass, if you want a specific answer, could you care to define your exact concept of "Alien"?
Thanks in advance.
Old February 2, 2003, 10:16   #19
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Well, either intelligent aliens capable of visiting us don't exist and it is up to the human race to find a way off this mudball before an asteroid strike or other catastrophy makes us extinct or..

Anyone (or thing) intelligent enough to figure out how to get here from another star system is going to take one look at what humans do to each other and want to come down and say hello.

Pessimist? Me? Noooo.
Old February 2, 2003, 10:23   #20
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Yep....and a lot of them hang out on 'poly (me included....one of the most refreshing spots in this sector....now if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go back and check my CF-Drive....we're exploring Beta Sector next month, and....)

-=Vel=-

PS: Serious answer...yes, I believe life exists "out there." It is arrogance of the highest order to assume that in all the vastness of space, we are the only ones, and not terribly different from the various religions here on earth, each saying they're "right" and everybody else is gonna burn. Of course, given our history, that position is not too surprising.
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 2, 2003, 10:42   #21
VJ
King

Quote:
Continuing lack of evidence from the SETI programme points to one of three conclusions. In our local area of space, ie the area our electromagnetic transmissions have moved through:

1) We are either so hopelessly behind other civilisations that they take no interest in us.

2) We are the most advanced society locally and everyone else is still struggling with fire.

3) We are alone locally and other civilisations are just beyond our broadcast radius and have yet to intercept our transmissions or us their's.
Umm... isn't the space a bit too large for drawing conclusions yet?

I mean, IIRC, there's 8k light years to the 'center' of Milky Way isn't, there?
Old February 2, 2003, 10:59   #22
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Yes, there are millions of other alien species out there in the universe.

I doubt, however, we will ever have substantial contact with any of them. The barriers of space travel and the huge distances involved seem to me almost insurmountable.

Switch: The odds aren't as bad as you imply. If one does research into Creationist "calculations" (term used very loosely), then yes. But actual scientists have come up with various odss that show the likelihood to be far greater. Considering our galaxy alone has 100 billion stars, the odds of sentient life existing elsewhere in a universe of 125 billion galaxies are pretty good.
Old February 2, 2003, 11:03   #23
VJ
King

dp
Old February 2, 2003, 11:03   #24
VJ
King

Quote:
life is INCREDIBLY complex. Even basic life.
Basic life, or basic life as we know it?
Old February 2, 2003, 11:05   #25
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Exactly Boris. Even if the probablity of other sentient life living around any given Star is a Thousand-Billion to One then there should be some out there.

However, if you believe that God created all life and only created sentient life on Earth, then those probabilities mean nothing. It's not a theory that has any basis in fact, of course, but then no kind of faith in anything ever does.
Old February 2, 2003, 11:08   #26
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

'morning Stoo! You didn't know I'm an alien?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 2, 2003, 11:09   #27
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I've known that for a year now, mate.

As a matter of fact, I'm currently in negotiations with the National Enquirer for the exclusive rights to the blurred, grainy, indistinct black and white pictures I have of you.
Old February 2, 2003, 11:09   #28
Velociryx
staff

-=Vel=-
Old February 2, 2003, 11:10   #29
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
However, if you believe that God created all life and only created sentient life on Earth, then those probabilities mean nothing. It's not a theory that has any basis in fact, of course, but then no kind of faith in anything ever does.
It baffles me why a Christian would assert God created such a vast universe and only made Earth have intelligent life. Why would God be so wasteful? What would be the point? This is just senseless terra-centrism. It even makes a reference in the Bible to God's "other flocks," which can reasonably be interpreted as beings from other worlds.
Old February 2, 2003, 11:12   #30
Velociryx
staff

(quickly re-discovering that 'poly's OT forum is a huge time-sink...LOL....enjoyable, but I'm keeping the window open here and trying to work on Candle'Bre art....guess which is winning out!)

-=Vel=-