Old February 7, 2003, 22:41   #151
Joseph
King

Local Time: 08:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
Well, I can tell you that without the Soviet Union, the Allies (US+Britain+minor allies) still would have defeated Germany, without a great deal of extra fighting.
Yes, however we would have used our Nuc on them. We did have a larger pop. than Germany, but for the same reason we nuc Japan because Truman did not want to kill an extra million taking Japan by invasion.
Old February 7, 2003, 22:45   #152
The Vagabond
Prince

Local Time: 15:34
The SU excluded, it would have been stalemate: the Nazis would not have been able to progress outside of continental Europe, while the Allies would not have been able to invade the continent either.

Of course, if you take into account the A-bomb invention, then the Allies would have been able to blackmail Germany into the surrender.
Old February 7, 2003, 23:44   #153
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:34
Quote:
Well, I can tell you that without the Soviet Union, the Allies (US+Britain+minor allies) still would have defeated Germany, without a great deal of extra fighting.

No great deal of extra fighting? So how did you expect to destroy the 200+ divisions fighting in the East? Magic?

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 8, 2003, 02:32   #154
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
No great deal of extra fighting? So how did you expect to destroy the 200+ divisions fighting in the East? Magic?
No, I expect to end the war by destroying the Nazi leadership through an atomic bomb.
Old February 8, 2003, 10:02   #155
Zevico
Prince

Local Time: 01:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why not just rename it something Russian, but not Stalingrad? the guy killed more people than Hitler for crying out loud. It can be WWII related but something more to do with the soldeirs or the battle than Stalin himself. Voila.
Old February 8, 2003, 12:48   #156
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well, if you're going to talk about A-Bombs then why the hell are we discussing hypothetical scenarios with the Germans winning? Once the A-Bomb comes into play the whole question is moot.

BUUUUUT,

consider this:

Russia loses in 1941 or 42. Germany reinforces the Afrika Corps and kickes the British out of the middle east. The mediterranean becomes an Axis lake. Would the Germans been able to try an invasion of England under these conditions in 1942 before the British recovered and the US began building up troops in the UK?

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 8, 2003, 13:06   #157
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:34
Quote:
Why not just rename it something Russian, but not Stalingrad? the guy killed more people than Hitler for crying out loud.
that's not true. And mind you, I hate Stalin. His people put my greatgrandfather in prison for nothing.
Old February 8, 2003, 13:07   #158
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 16:34
History will remember the battle of Stalingrad whatever name is given to the place where it was fought. And as for the turning point of WWII, it can be said literaly that the German armies turned back at this point.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:47   #159
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Quote:
Why not just rename it something Russian, but not Stalingrad? the guy killed more people than Hitler for crying out loud.
that's not true. And mind you, I hate Stalin. His people put my greatgrandfather in prison for nothing.
Actually, it is true. Stalin and his cohorts killed more in the collectivisation of the Ukraine than died in the Holocaust. And that was just in a few years during the 30s in one region. It is difficult to believe, but it is sadly the case.

The highest estimates of Stalin's death toll upon his own people approach 60 million. More reasonable numbers are between 20 to 30 million, IIRC.
Old February 8, 2003, 20:36   #160
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Well, if you're going to talk about A-Bombs then why the hell are we discussing hypothetical scenarios with the Germans winning? Once the A-Bomb comes into play the whole question is moot.
Not if the US isn't involved in the war. The Soviets got the Abomb historically in 1949. I see no way they could survive that long against Germany, and even if they did, they would not have the capacity to build a bomb (even with all of their espionage).

Quote:
Russia loses in 1941 or 42. Germany reinforces the Afrika Corps and kickes the British out of the middle east. The mediterranean becomes an Axis lake. Would the Germans been able to try an invasion of England under these conditions in 1942 before the British recovered and the US began building up troops in the UK?
No. Britain was outproducing the Germans in terms of fighters even in 1940/41. Further, the Germans couldn't have significantly reinforced and supplied Africa for an offensive until they won sea superiority in the Med, and that meant taking out Malta and destroying the Royal Navy, and, to a greater extent, depending on the Regina Marina. None of these things were likely.

Yes, I suppose Germany could concentrate all of their resources on an air and sea buildup, but this would take years, and even then, I doubt they could match the combined Royal Navy and USN, and RAF and USAAF. In fact, I know they couldn't - historically, the US was outproducing Britain, the Commonwealth, and Germany COMBINED in aircraft production by 1942 (and nearly so in 1941 when they weren't even in the war). In fact, by 1945, the US was outproducing Britain, the British Commonwealth, Germany, and the Soviet Union combined in aircraft production, and were near doing so in 1944.
Old February 8, 2003, 20:40   #161
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

Actually, it is true. Stalin and his cohorts killed more in the collectivisation of the Ukraine than died in the Holocaust. And that was just in a few years during the 30s in one region. It is difficult to believe, but it is sadly the case.

The highest estimates of Stalin's death toll upon his own people approach 60 million. More reasonable numbers are between 20 to 30 million, IIRC.
The highest estimates I've ever seen for the holocaust are 100 million.
Old February 8, 2003, 20:42   #162
David Floyd
Emperor

Yes, and people also deny the Holocaust, but we don't believe that, do we?
Old February 8, 2003, 20:42   #163
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

The highest estimates I've ever seen for the holocaust are 100 million.
Counting what?
Old February 8, 2003, 20:44   #164
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Yes, and people also deny the Holocaust, but we don't believe that, do we?
Thats completly irrelevant. People have debated "Whos the biggest baddie?" for many years, and you can find sources to make either Stalin or Hitler be the "baddiest of them all".
Old February 8, 2003, 20:48   #165
David Floyd
Emperor

Yes, and you can find sources stating that neither of them did anything wrong at all. The point is, we ignore sources that are clearly ridiculous, and estimates of 100 million killed in the Holocaust and only a million or two killed by Stalin are clearly silly.
Old February 8, 2003, 20:50   #166
Nubclear

Quote:
Yes, and you can find sources stating that neither of them did anything wrong at all. The point is, we ignore sources that are clearly ridiculous, and estimates of 100 million killed in the Holocaust and only a million or two killed by Stalin are clearly silly.
Right, but I'm trying to say that we'll never know whos the baddiest of the bad. Oh well.
Old February 8, 2003, 20:51   #167
David Floyd
Emperor

They were equally evil. Fair enough?
Old February 8, 2003, 20:52   #168
Nubclear

Quote:
They were equally evil. Fair enough?
I'll settle for that.
Old February 8, 2003, 20:53   #169
David Floyd
Emperor

Damn, if it were only this easy to reach a conclusion with Serb
Old February 8, 2003, 21:16   #170
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Right, but I'm trying to say that we'll never know whos the baddiest of the bad. Oh well.
I'll accept the equally bad for the purposes of this thread. However, I suspect that some people may not wish to find out who was worse.
Old February 8, 2003, 22:00   #171
Propaganda
Warlord

Local Time: 08:34
Quote:

I'll settle for that.
I wouldn't. I'd rather believe historians who have had access to the Soviet Archives, like Mr. Zemskov and Mr. Dugin, rather than fascists and nationalists the likes of Solzhenitsyn and Conquest.
Old February 8, 2003, 22:39   #172
notyoueither
Deity

Nevermind. Wrong thread for this.

Last edited by notyoueither; February 8, 2003 at 23:23.
Old February 9, 2003, 14:41   #173
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 17:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Yes it did happen, and Hitler was just as crazy as Stalin. During the first few years of the war Stalin even ordered the imprisonment and execution of soldiers who tried to escape back to Soviet lines when their units were overrun and bypassed by the German blitzkrieg. By his command it was automatically assumed that such soldiers were traitors.
Please read my post next time more carefully. I only said that they NEVER used this on people who charged forward and had their charge repulsed (as portrayed in the movie). Security squads were placed behind defenders, not attackers.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old February 9, 2003, 14:42   #174
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 17:34
Quote:
hitler's germany or iraq?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.