Old March 11, 2003, 05:11   #151
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
except if you plan to play MP, UK english (aka. english english) version is perfectly fine.

but i really don't know why it takes them so long to bring out the international versions. not much changes anyway. all they need to do is compile again it with the other settings
Old March 11, 2003, 05:12   #152
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

wow, 150 posts, my longest thread ever
Old March 12, 2003, 00:51   #153
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
except if you plan to play MP, UK english (aka. english english) version is perfectly fine.

but i really don't know why it takes them so long to bring out the international versions. not much changes anyway. all they need to do is compile again it with the other settings

hi ,

but if you have today the UK english version , you cant patch yet , and that means that you also have no solutions that are fixed with 1.21 , ......

the main problem is infogrames , ......

and the people who buy those international versions , ..... with a click of a mouse you can order the US english version

have a nice day
Old March 12, 2003, 08:45   #154
sabrewolf
Emperor

there is 1.14f for UK-english and that's plenty for single player
Old March 12, 2003, 15:43   #155
Chemical Ollie
King

Muahahaha... Now I have PtW. At least a pre-patch crack.
Old March 12, 2003, 16:56   #156
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

Local Time: 16:34
Quote:
Muahahaha... Now I have PtW. At least a pre-patch crack.
Fortune smiles on you...
Old March 12, 2003, 18:10   #157
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:34
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

but if you have today the UK english version , you cant patch yet , and that means that you also have no solutions that are fixed with 1.21 , ......

the main problem is infogrames , ......

and the people who buy those international versions , ..... with a click of a mouse you can order the US english version

have a nice day
Yeey!! let's all buy the US version, let's all support the US economy and while we play Civ in our peaceful living room let's not forget just for one second at least that some of that cold hard $$$ we just spent went to the making of a missile or bomb that will soon kill an iraqui who's only crime in life was being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Go ahead, buy it. Make my day.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 12, 2003, 18:15   #158
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

Yeey!! let's all buy the US version, let's all support the US economy and while we play Civ in our peaceful living room let's not forget just for one second at least that some of that cold hard $$$ we just spent went to the making of a missile or bomb that will soon kill an iraqui who's only crime in life was being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Go ahead, buy it. Make my day.
hi ,

can you stay on topic please , ......

have a nice day
Old March 12, 2003, 19:00   #159
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Truth hurts huh?

And it is on-topic. I'm telling you the reasons why not to by the US version of the game.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old March 12, 2003, 19:06   #160
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Truth hurts huh?

And it is on-topic. I'm telling you the reasons why not to by the US version of the game.

hi ,

sjee man stay on topic , ....

what the heck has a french shareholder (infogrames) and an american company (firaxis) have to do with the war in iraq , .....what ?

nothing , nothing at all

so please stay on topic , thank you

have a nice day
Old March 12, 2003, 19:25   #161
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 10:34
Quote:
Uhhh... NO IT ISN'T ON TOPIC.
If you want to sprout your political agenda, do it in the OTF where it belongs... because if you make one more post like that again in the ANY on topic forum... YOU ARE TOAST...
Old March 13, 2003, 01:29   #162
Master Zen
Deity

Well, I'll think you'll all agree that the best off-topic discussions are actually found in the on-topic forums...I won't even begin to list the threads...

but maybe, just maybe...

the spirit of ottok hath possessed me!! ahh!!!! surpise!!!

no poltic posts will more on topic...

have a nice day

Last edited by Master Zen; March 13, 2003 at 01:35.
Old March 13, 2003, 19:12   #163
Master Zen
Deity

funny how everyone just flew away from this thread...

Old March 14, 2003, 03:51   #164
Thirgaral
Warlord

Quote:
funny how everyone just flew away from this thread...
Well, when Ming starts to threaten with TOAST... People get scared...
Old March 14, 2003, 04:24   #165
sabrewolf
Emperor

it's clear why:
"my words are backed wid PCR-weapons"

btw: infogrames is a french based company, firaxis is US-american... so no country bashing allowed in either case
Old March 14, 2003, 05:06   #166
Master Zen
Deity

[Fez voice]
Blame it on the foreign kid!
[/Fez voice]

no really, In my defense, I was legitimately answering the reason why I wouldn't buy the US version, not because of the origin of the developer or the designer but rather the retailer.

Of course there are other reasons like 2) Amazon doesn't ship software to my country and 3) some people just like to play in their own language.

But reason 1) is quite valid for me at least, it was not my intention to go on a rant about Iraq, but it is a legitimate reason why I am actually boycotting US products these days. If people don't like my reasons well too bad, but I won't lie in my posts just to make some people happy.

I wonder, from the economic point of view, how much of the $$$ goes to each one.

Let's say Civ3 costs $50. How much of that ends up in Firaxis' pocket? In Infogrames's pocket? In the retailer's pocket?

Also, how much of Infogrames' share ends up in the host country (like Infogrames USA) and ends up in the mother country.

Interestingly I had thought about the idea of this for a study in multi-national firms for my thesis. Maybe I'll come back to it one day

Old March 14, 2003, 17:58   #167
WarpStorm
King

The retailer gets the biggest share and Firaxis the smallest (less than $5 on a $50 game).
Old March 14, 2003, 21:41   #168
Chemical Ollie
King

Aarrgghh! My cracked PtW doesn't work! So much for P2P networks!

Anyway, the game should be in the local shops by now - but that's what they have said for the last 5 months!
Old March 14, 2003, 23:15   #169
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
The retailer gets the biggest share and Firaxis the smallest (less than $5 on a $50 game).
So then my reason #1 has validity after all

$5 is very little, I'm surprised they don't get more. With a royalty of that quantitiy it is no wonder the patches come out so late...

Old March 15, 2003, 07:10   #170
sabrewolf
Emperor

but that's always like this.
with music-CDs, the artist only gets a small part of the money. and he has all the work and all the expenses.
the producer gets the big cash and doesn't need to leave his office...

life isn't fair, but that's the way it is...
Old March 15, 2003, 14:47   #171
Master Zen
Deity

they should go the id Software way and sell it directly, even if they have to do it over the 'net

Old March 15, 2003, 14:47   #172
Thirgaral
Warlord

Quote:
Anyway, the game should be in the local shops by now - but that's what they have said for the last 5 months!
YES... It´s finally here!!!!
Old March 15, 2003, 16:21   #173
WarpStorm
King

I don't think that id has sold software direct since I ordered Doom from the phone and got John Carmack on the order line.
Old March 15, 2003, 18:43   #174
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
I don't think that id has sold software direct since I ordered Doom from the phone and got John Carmack on the order line.
"Firaxis Software, Soren Johnson speaking..."

You can buy games from their (id) web page can't you?

Last edited by Master Zen; March 15, 2003 at 18:49.
Old March 15, 2003, 19:13   #175
WarpStorm
King

Looking at id's website all 'direct' purchases go straight to the publishers website. The publishers are going to get their cut (they paid for the game to be built after all).
Old March 15, 2003, 21:50   #176
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 15:34
Quote:
Id defies conventional business logic by maintaining a staff of only 17 employees, even though the company generates annual revenue of $20 million--more than $1 million per employee.
That's productivity.

But no wonder he answers the phone himself.
Old March 15, 2003, 21:50   #177
Master Zen
Deity

There goes id's royalties...

BTW, how did you know it was John Carmack who answered the phone? Pretty neat to actually speak with a gaming legend!

Old March 15, 2003, 23:14   #178
WarpStorm
King

He wasn't a gaming legend back then, nobody'd ever heard of him (till a few weeks later). In fact, he sent me an extra copy of Doom later because he screwed up my order
Old March 16, 2003, 02:50   #179
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs

That's productivity.

But no wonder he answers the phone himself.
$20 million a year and they can't hire a goddamn secretary. Cheap bastards!!

I wonder if I call Firaxis, Sid Meier will answer

Old March 16, 2003, 10:53   #180
WarpStorm
King

Like I implied, this was back when id was operating out of one of their houses and hadn't yet made mega-bucks.

Sure, Sid'll answer if you know his phone number.