Old February 2, 2003, 13:13   #1
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 11:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
France is cool with the letter of the euro eight
I saw in Friday's WSJ that the FM of France (de Villepin?) said that there was nothing in the letter of the 8 that disagreed with common European policy, and they could contribute to the debate. No mention of vassals, or problems with the procedure, or anything like that.
Old February 2, 2003, 13:54   #2
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 15:35
Hey! How accomodating of them! To "allow" fellow member states (they're not all applicants-waiting-in-the-wings, as I recall) to contribute to the debate!

Ahhhh....the French.....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 2, 2003, 14:04   #3
Sandman
King

Local Time: 16:35
I read in the paper today that the letter was the idea of the editor of the Wall Street Journal.
Old February 2, 2003, 14:15   #4
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:35
I've always found it arrogant how the Franco-German axis appointed themselves as the decision making body for the entire EU. If any of the other member states ever disagrees with them then they get called American lackeys, anti-European, dirty capitalist pig-dogs, or what have you.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 2, 2003, 14:17   #5
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 18:35
I agree. Down with the axis! Up with the smaller members!
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old February 2, 2003, 14:18   #6
Oerdin
Deity

BTW the reason the French are mellowing out with the retoric is because they are now setting the stage for their last minute about face which they are going to do at the U.N.. Does anyone doubt this? Does anyone think the whole French pro- Saddam stance was anything more then an attempt to squeeze Washington for a few more concessions?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 2, 2003, 14:22   #7
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 15:35
Couldn't agree more, Oerdin....we'll see, but I'm not gonna be surprised in the least if that's not just how it goes.

-=Vel=-

PS: And in the latest breaking news, the French PM said it was okay if England's Tony Blair wanted to go out and play for a while.....
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 2, 2003, 14:23   #8
Pekka
Emperor

I think French are going along with the program Oerdin.. I think they have just been playing some games, and they have already made up their minds. Just to beat their chests 'we are taking orders from no one!'. That's it..
Old February 2, 2003, 14:26   #9
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I think it will be interesting to see how France plays it after Powell's presentation on Wednesday. This would be a good time for France and Russia to come around to the winning side.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 2, 2003, 14:26   #10
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:35
Everyone in the end does what the US says. Sad but true. EVEN FRANCE.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 2, 2003, 14:29   #11
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:35
French are just scared of Denmark and their army of Rasmussens.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old February 2, 2003, 14:44   #12
Pekka
Emperor

Who wouldn't be afraid of Denmarks army? All those Brigitte Nielsen Amazon Fighters... but I'd like to wrestle them. Naked.
Old February 2, 2003, 15:08   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Who wouldn't?
Old February 2, 2003, 15:25   #14
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
All those Brigitte Nielsen Amazon Fighters... but I'd like to wrestle them. Naked.
Provides interesting contrast with Pekka's earlier "Up with the smaller members!" quote.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old February 2, 2003, 15:31   #15
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

When France sends its carrier and troops to the Gulf (which will happen shortly before the war starts), you can be sure the French demonstrations against this will be pathetically empty.
Our glorious government has made the people completely asleep, and prone to accept whatever it does. Chirac has earned a big popularity with his chest-beating, and won't lose it when he'll follow America.
He is extremely skilled in that
Old February 2, 2003, 15:33   #16
Spiffor

HOwever, I've read yesterday in Libération that blair suggested a second UN resolution. You can expect France and Germany backing this second resolution, which will postpone the war, but makes even more sure it'll happen eventually.
Old February 2, 2003, 15:33   #17
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu
Provides interesting contrast with Pekka's earlier "Up with the smaller members!" quote.
Pekka, do you have something to tell us about a small member?
Old February 2, 2003, 15:55   #18
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
When France sends its carrier and troops to the Gulf
The Charles De Gaulle??? Theyve fixed it?????
Old February 2, 2003, 15:59   #19
Oerdin
Deity

Last I heard it was having trouble going daster then half speed plus it was experiencing a host of other gremlins. Hopefully they've been able to sort out and fix all the the designs short comings.
Old February 2, 2003, 16:03   #20
Spiffor

AFAIK (I've lost track with the Charles de Gaulle long ago, so new problems can have arisen), the problems were :

- a crappy second propeller, which had to be remade completely : to finish before the deadline, the supplier rushed the propeller, which broke at first use
- a too short launching pad for a British fighter in development

France has sent the Charles de Gaulle in the Indian Ocean during the Afghani war, so I guess it should be able to move now
Old February 2, 2003, 16:09   #21
Pekka
Emperor

On the contrary, it is very well known that I have rather large beast. But, I'm not looking to get banned so I drop the subject right here.