Old February 3, 2003, 17:51   #31
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 11:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Who is this "we"?
The DIA and associated hippies?
Old February 3, 2003, 18:03   #32
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 09:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Thud

The DIA and associated hippies?
Oh, okay then.
Old February 3, 2003, 18:48   #33
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:35
Seeing as how I'm no longer much involved in the politics of the nation, but command our nation's armed forces, I will only report from a purely military standpoint, not a political opinion of my own.

In the case of joining the Greeks in warring with the Persians, I have noticed these options become available to us, which I will make a few points on.

1- Join the Greeks
We definetely have the military power, and regional presence in the area, to join with the Greeks and quickly assault the last vestiges of Xerxes empire. A war against Persia would be swift, quick, and over before any types of war weariness kicked in. Our forces, the majority of them in Old Germany, (or New, depending on your view), can quickly adjust and head towards Persian lands even before a war is declared.

2 - ROP with Greeks
Many have expressed discomfort for this. I understand both viewpoints to the discussion regarding this issue, and I hope to elaborate on both of them.

Our Home Defense has improved steadily since the Japanese declared war on us a few years back, and I will continue to submit build requests for additional units.

If we decide to go along with a ROP treaty with the Greeks, we CAN form a wall that completely blocks them from even entering our territory, simply by filling in every square along the border, and GUIDE them to a designated area on the map if we wish to.

Not only is a unit wall capable and do-able, there would be no issues between ourselves and Alexander when we have to cross HIS territory to get to Persia.

Without a ROP treaty, Alex will be alarmed by us setting foot on his turf. Without a ROP treaty, we can count ourselves out of capturing Xerxes's capital, and possibly the man himself.

3 -A Necessary Conflict

Lets pretend now, that we have carried through with a war against Persia, and the Greeks and ourselves remain the dominant nations in our region, and our continent.

On that note, lets pretend that we HAVE captured the Persian cities. Look at the border between Greece and Apolyton. We would be in a position, hypothetically, that if a war against the Greeks DID OCCUR, we would have a strategic advantage over Alex. We have a very wide border with them, and would have the freedom to attack and puncture deliberate and chosen kinks in his defenses, knowing that with our superior technology, that by the time this happens we shall very well be going to war with tanks, possibly marines, supported by bombers, fighters, and our large stacks of artillery as well.

If we hold the Persian cities, we will have an additional route through with we can take the battle to Athens, setting up pincer movements through pre-chosen regions, slicing up Greek infantry on the way.

These are just mere statements on what we have at our disposal, and what is possible. Thanks.
Old February 4, 2003, 10:56   #34
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 17:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
It's possible, panag... But I'm not inclined to sign any RoP right now, without a clear majority in the Senate. Could some Senator post a poll or something? In any case, I can't do this in the chat. Should we postpone the chat because of that?
I like the roadcage plan, but there's some polemic about it... Many Senators don't want any war now, and we need more info about how this can affect war weariness, approval rate and the WLPD's.
hi ,

we dont need an ROP (!) we can move around or just use the greek terrain where needed , if they would declare war , well to bad , to sad for them , .......

have a nice day
Old February 4, 2003, 11:30   #35
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 10:35
There's no point moving thru Greek Territory to fight the Persians without a RoP because without the RoP, we can't even use roads thru the Greek territory, let alone Rail.
Old February 4, 2003, 12:13   #36
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
There's no point moving thru Greek Territory to fight the Persians without a RoP because without the RoP, we can't even use roads thru the Greek territory, let alone Rail.
hi ,

we could if needed , it shall be slower but if needed we could do it , .....

there shall be some Persian troops who are going to move true Greek territory , we should be prepared for that , ...

have a nice day
Old February 4, 2003, 18:54   #37
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:35
Well joncnunn is correct in saying that "we could not use the roads or railroads" without an ROP.

I think panag meant to say that we can still move through Greek territory regardless of an ROP or not, although we won't have the movement bonuses of rails.
Old February 5, 2003, 05:25   #38
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
Well joncnunn is correct in saying that "we could not use the roads or railroads" without an ROP.

I think panag meant to say that we can still move through Greek territory regardless of an ROP or not, although we won't have the movement bonuses of rails.
hi ,

huh , yes , ....

why bother with an ROP , we just simply go where we want , .....

have a nice day