View Poll Results: Multiple Choice Trading Ideas
Poll 1: Only use food for wonders 3 8.11%
Poll 1: use undemanded freights as well for building 5 13.51%
Poll 1: forget trading, we need them all for wonders and space ship parts! 1 2.70%
Poll 2: we need superhighways in the big cities, even if it means higher taxes for a couple rounds! 6 16.22%
Poll 2: Superhighways are useful, build them as we can 3 8.11%
Poll 2: I don't drive! why do we need this poll! 0 0%
Poll 3: Build Banks and Stock Exchanges and I'll show you what cash flow is really like! 1 2.70%
Poll 3: Several cities can use banks if we can work them in 6 16.22%
Poll 3: Quit dawdling with buildings, we have enough in just marketplaces! 2 5.41%
Poll 4: Airports and/or extra transports are needed to really make freight trading work 3 8.11%
Poll 4: It sounds good, but is going to take time 3 8.11%
Poll 4: My gosh, you're way too ambitious! 3 8.11%
Poll: I like you're ideas, but I think this combo works better (post ideas) 0 0%
Poll: You want more money? Sell Banana Daqueris! 1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 2, 2003, 20:42   #1
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 10:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1868 Trade report poll
Ok, this is my first poll, hope everything shows up correctly

As stated in Our Financial Profile for 1868 we have 33 freights, of which 7 are demanded goods and 6 are undemanded goods. I suggest we use the demanded ones for trade right now, food for building and if we need the undemanded ones to build wonders or SS parts, that's fine.

Most of the major cities (20+ trade arrows) have at least 2 trade routes (where its at town has an established food trade route?), those that don't have quite a few priorities in addition to increasing trade. We do have some glaring deficiencies in the biggest cities though (not to mention that quite a few cities could be celebrating with just a couple adjustments, but then that is only indirectly my concern (bigger cities = more trade arrows)
We have a grand total of 1 Bank and 1 Stock Exchange, both in CAPITOL and no superhighways. CAPITOL, Barcelona and Avila are all over 60 arrows which could all get between 80 and 90 arrows with superhighways, and definitely benefit from at least banks after that. St. Pratski, Cadiz, and Leon are in the 40's and could get into the 60's and 70's with superhighways. I would propose that superhighways should be among the highest priories in those 6 cites, raising taxes for a round or 2 if necessary as they will pay for themselves in increased tax and science in no time. Banks and Stock exchanges would be nice, but we can only do so much at a time.

As for getting traded freights to their demanded locations, we appear to be lacking. We have 8 total transports, of which 3 seem to be little more than channel ferries (like from cadiz to pamplona on neighboring islands.) That leaves 5 transports to go to 3 main trade locations, furthest being 6-8 turns each way. I think a couple extra transports could greatly shorten the delivery time by creating a ship chain. Alternatively, we also have radio now, so we could link continents by airports and airlift freight to where it needs to go. Airports also could help in a pinch if we need quick defense up north, although I would not list them as high priority atm.
Old February 2, 2003, 23:46   #2
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 09:36
Superhighways will be great, and undemanded freights are the way to go. Use demanded freights for trading, since we need to jack up science and cash further. It'll be a good idea to build banks and stock exchanges in key cities, but don't overdo it.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old February 3, 2003, 04:21   #3
rjmatsleepers
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 15:36
Even rush building a superhighway can pay for itself on the first freight delivery.

And even undemanded freight will generate more gold and science than a bank or stock exchange - particularly if the home city has a superhighway.

RJM at Sleepers
Old February 3, 2003, 09:49   #4
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Right on, rjm...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old February 3, 2003, 11:26   #5
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

I'm about to post the Science Ministry's report and poll.

I came out in favour of Superhighways over other improvements, and lots of trade, including use of undemanded goods for trading. Trading gets us cash AND science, while building banks/universities only gets us one or the other.

(But build universities anyway )

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)