Old February 3, 2003, 01:04   #1
Underseer
Warlord

Local Time: 09:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Question for the war-mongers out there...
I play an almost exclusively builder game. I'm also a lazy wimp that only plays at lower difficulty levels. In the very rare instances I actually go to war, it's with waves of tanks and bombardment units.

So, uhm, are helicopters and paratroopers as useless as they look in the Civilopedia? Or is there some obscure circumstance in which they're actually useful?

Is there any reason to compose an invading army out of anything other than tanks, artillery and the occasional bomber?
Old February 3, 2003, 05:04   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:36
I never use helos or paratroops in any level. I know a few have, but I can not see the need.
As to invading, if you are talking about tanks, not MA, then yes. I would bring along some calvs as they have 3 moves and can be used for a number of things.
If you are talking about MA, then not really. I use calvs at that stage to handle the resistors and few odd jobs.
Armies of calv are great at sitting on a large city while you pacify the locals. I am talking about instances were no counter attack is coming.
Old February 3, 2003, 10:02   #3
Thoth
King

I've rarely had a need to build helicopters or paratroopers. But I usually build a few, just because they're fun to play with.

Helicopters can come in handy as a "poor man's airport". Load a unit onto the helicopter, rebase the helicopter, and then activate the unit. Handy for sending 1st turn reinforcements to beachhead cities.
Old February 3, 2003, 10:09   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:36
Yeah, completely useless, I'm afraid. I can safely say I have never even researched Advanced Flight. Never.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 3, 2003, 10:14   #5
Yanghead
Settler

Local Time: 10:36
Choppers and Paras are great for invading accross a narrow channel without having to use ships. Then grab(or build) a city and rush an airport. Airbridge to Victory!
Old February 3, 2003, 10:15   #6
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I don't believe I've ever built either of them.

An adjustment that would make both somewhat useful is if the paratroopers were able to attack immediately after they landed.
Old February 3, 2003, 14:57   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I have never built choppers, paratroopers, or even marines.

And I've done a lot of fighting.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 3, 2003, 17:41   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Arrian, using marines to capture AI workers repairing coastal bombardment damage is ENTERTAINING!

Underseer, build a few choppers & paratroops to have on hand for when an opportunity comes to use them. It will probably be rare that it comes, but if you don't have the units you probably won't notice the chance when it comes.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old February 4, 2003, 23:25   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
And I've done a lot of fighting.
-Arrian
You crack me up.

I'm pretty much the same... although I live in mortal terror of Bowman delivered via Helicopters!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 5, 2003, 04:59   #10
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 18:36
Once had my only source of oil in small island far away from main empire. Lost my tought for a while, and suddenly the used-to-be peacefull Greece starts landing tanks on the shores of the island. I politely tell them to take a hike, they (politely) tell me to shove it. I have a spearman defending... But I also have 3 helos and infantry. I do the loading, rebasing and activating routine, and my troops hold of the attack untill I can rush airport and airlift couple of tanks to take the rest of them out. I could have transported couple of mousketeers too... Just forgot to upgrade them.

My greatest enemy in CIV isn't AI, it's UI. (Unartificial Intelligence, eh, me.)

M.I.C.K.E.Y M.O.U.S.E!

(sing happily)
Old February 5, 2003, 05:37   #11
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Underseer
Is there any reason to compose an invading army out of anything other than tanks, artillery and the occasional bomber?
INFANTRY, or MI when available!
Assuming that the AI doesn't have tanks yet, he will cut down your tanks with cavalry and guerillas. Yes, he will lose 2-3 units for each one of yours, but if you are in representative government then you want to keep your losses at a minimum. Until his offensive units are mostly depleted I would much prefer to not have tanks hanging out to dry!

If the AI doesn't have cavalry or infantry, then you are taking it too easy (i.e., not building or keeping your cits happy enough).
Old February 5, 2003, 10:19   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Theseus,

Yeah, you gotta watch out for those AirMobile Bowmen.

Jaybe,

I'll grant you that it could be entertaining. My use of a largely useless unit for fun is the Privateer. That's entertaining too, because it lets you fight while at peace. I like creating stacks of 'em (2-4 each) and roaming the high seas, nailing any AI ship I see. I've destroyed entire navies that way. Like the marines stealing workers, it doesn't really do much, but it's amusing.

-Arrian

EDIT: Jaybe's correct about bringing along defensive units on an invasion, btw. Allowing AI Cavalry to hit your Tanks is... err... suboptimal. Plus, if you're gonna capture cities (and/or razing & rebuild) you need units to defend them, right? Plus, infantry can do neat things like march untouched along a mountain range to an enemy resource and then cut it. If they do decide to hit it, the odds are with you. Infantry can defend luxuries you capture (I often build forts with my newly acquired slaves and stick an infantry or two in them). You can funnel AI counterattacks just where you want them by fortifying infantry on good defensive terrain. Then you can bombard and slaughter the AI's attack troops. Once you've bled them dry, it's all over.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Last edited by Arrian; February 5, 2003 at 10:25.
Old February 5, 2003, 10:34   #13
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
(I often build forts with my newly acquired slaves and stick an infantry or two in them)
Although slaves perform most other tasks at at half-pace, they are nifty radar tower builders behind newly acquired cities. Of course, Arrian et al have ended the game long before Radio. I, myself, still require tanks to win.
Old February 6, 2003, 03:26   #14
High_Lord
Chieftain

I never research the advanced flight to get the paratroopers. But I do like to use the marines, like 2 transports full, to go along duking it out on as many coastal cities as possible
Old February 6, 2003, 03:44   #15
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

If you want to see the benefit of Airbourne, Helicopters and Marines... play a scenario in the modern age and clean out the South Pacific.

Actually, I usually use Copters and Marines. It is a very rapid way to take out an extended series of islands without risk of naval losses.
Old February 6, 2003, 03:46   #16
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

btw, anyone who ignores Marines is... not fully experienced with Civ3 combat potential.
Old February 6, 2003, 07:57   #17
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by High_Lord
I never research the advanced flight to get the paratroopers.
This coming from someone with an avatar such as yours!