Old February 3, 2003, 04:32   #1
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 16:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
New Game Boy!
I read in a German News Magazine that Nintendo is bringinig a new Game Boy Advance to the Market called SP, which will be backround lit. They had a couple pictures of the device and it looked nothing like the Gameboy Advance we know! Has anybody heard anything about it?

So long...
Old February 3, 2003, 04:40   #2
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 11:36
From what I understand, it is essentially a cell-phone sized GBA, with a backlit screen and a sleeker look. Very, very marketable for the Japanese crowd, and will probably do well in the US too thanks to the backlit screen.
Old February 3, 2003, 05:29   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:36
Pictures have been released a while ago.

The biggest draw is the backlit screen and the 10 hour battery life with the rechargable li-ion battery
Old February 3, 2003, 05:58   #4
The Pioneer
Prince

Does anybody have a good link? I was thinking of picking a GBA up but I may as well wait on the new model.

So long...
Old February 3, 2003, 06:38   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

http://www.gamershell.com/game/From_...vance_SP.shtml
Old February 3, 2003, 08:31   #6
The Pioneer
Prince

Not much information but the thing looks cool. A bit more sober and serious than the original one. I'll probably give it a go at some point. I was wondering though what the SP stands for?

So long...
Old February 3, 2003, 13:13   #7
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 11:36
Special?
Old February 4, 2003, 02:56   #8
The Pioneer
Prince

In the magazine article I read the German Manager of Nintendo was not sure what the SP stands for, it could be "special" I guess but there might be some other meaning.

So long...

Last edited by The Pioneer; February 4, 2003 at 03:05.
Old February 4, 2003, 03:10   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 15:36
Sigh. I wish MICROSOFT made a handheld....Probably a much higher quality product....
Old February 4, 2003, 07:25   #10
The Pioneer
Prince

Well, that would just lead to more power to monopolize and at the very end you will also be ownd by Microsoft

I like Nintendo the way they are, I've played or owned at one time or another all game consoles since the Atari 2600 came out in the early 80s. I like the XBox but I went with GC for now as I love Mario and Louigi !

So long...
Old February 5, 2003, 00:49   #11
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well done. You will be among the blessed in the next life.
Old February 5, 2003, 20:56   #12
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 08:36
Only buy it if you don't already have a GBA -- it plays the same games, but the battery life is shorter and the only advantages are size and the light. As long as you use the 'old' one with at least one overhead light, it's fine. I don't want one because I'm far too used to the shape of the regular GBA with one of those rechargeable grip dealies -- saves quite a bit on batteries.
Old February 6, 2003, 01:36   #13
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The battery life is shorter?

How long does does the regular GBA's battery last?

The GBA-SP lasts 18 hours with the light off, 10 with it on. And it's a li-ion battery, so it recharges very fast...