Old February 19, 2001, 16:01   #1
buster
ACDG3 CMNsACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 07:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
poll - remedy for effect on Agels of probe value bug.
(Sorry about heading it should of course have been Angels not Agels - but system wont let me correct it)

As a matter of interest I would like to know what your thoughts are on a possible solution to the main effects of the probe value bug.

As background information there is a bug in the probe value counter in SMAC causing probe levels higher than +3 to give a probe level of 0 (zero).

This mainly (but not only) affects Angels as they have from start +2 and with covert ops their cities gets another +2 ending them up with being cheap to buy rather than unbribable.

As a matter of fact Angels after discovery of pre-sentient Algorithms must run knowledge to not have a worse probe value than at beginning of game.

In the faction file for Angels they are given following benefits:

+2 probe
-25% cost of probe actions
free covert ops centre with discovery of covert ops.

I personally see two possible solutions - one is to lower the +2 to +1 and to compensate by maybe giving a -50% probe cost instead. This would mean that with covert ops cities will hit +3 instead of +4. Units will still be bribable and the player has to ensure not to make choices (such as fundamentalism)that put you over the +3 limit.

The other is to use the "mindcontrol" setting (makes a factions cities and bases immune to being mind controlled.

The solution would be to take away the +2 probe and the free covert ops with pre-sentient and the 25% probe action rebate and instead give them a "mindcontrol" benefit.

Both would require very minor editing of the txt. file for angels and could be implemented by CMNs or by posting it as a suggested replacement txt.file.

Of course one can also just ignore it - but personally I find it really annoying getting into a situation (as I just recently have) where you are in a late game war against a filthy rich opponent and no matter what you do as Angels you cities are for sale cheap.

Solution one is fairly undramatic and would not I think majorly unbalance the faction. Downside is Angels (as everyone else) will still have to watch out not going over the top by not making probe enhacing SE choices after getting covert ops.

Solution two is more clean but will maybe chenge the probe benefit from being mixed offensive - defensive to being a mainly defensive one.

Anyway to summarize - we have:

a) modify the values to make less likely to go over the top.

b) replace probe value bonus with mind control bonus.

c) leave it alone

Any other ideas are of course welcome too.

[This message has been edited by buster (edited February 19, 2001).]
Old February 19, 2001, 22:00   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 01:05
Or, somebody at Firaxis could spend a couple weekends finishing a patch and win the Nobel Peace Prize!

Did I spell 'Nobel' correctly?
Old February 19, 2001, 22:41   #3
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 00:05
Another solution in MP would be to declare your probe value in the thread. Your opponent would then not be allowed to probe you at levels of 4 and above.

I think this would be a better solution, because only the player who picks the angels, or causes their probe rating to go over 3+ actually has to do something. Many games would be unaffected.