Old February 3, 2003, 08:52   #1
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 16:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Railroad Tycoon 3
Ya Man!

It looks like PopTop is at it again! I foun the info here furthermore I found some in french. It looks like the game will be release in the latter part of the year. This is the greatest news (in the games industry) which I've heard since Civ 3 was announced. Does anybody else have any information on the game?

So long...
Old February 3, 2003, 10:43   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Interesting. I've liked and disliked different Poptop products so I hope this turns out to be a good one.
Old February 3, 2003, 10:54   #3
The Pioneer
Prince

Ditto. Although RRT 2 is an awesome game and I know that there are a lot of people ou there that are eagerly waiting to get their hands on the 3rd part. I also liked Tropico, which was very funny and a good game overall.

So long...
Old February 3, 2003, 17:29   #4
pg
Prince

Local Time: 10:37
rt2 is ok but i thought it had way too much micro. maybe i just didn't know what i was doing though. it was a flawed game imo - the only time i had fun playing it is in the very beginning when things were much more managable and not mind boggling. most of the scenarios were pretty fun too. small size games of it were very fun too. if they could do away with a lot of the micro and make it so it's not so limited(it needs more gameplay) it'd be great.
Old February 3, 2003, 19:38   #5
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

RRT2 dropped the ball completely as far as being a railroad game goes. It was a stock market manipulation game and a poor one at that - the path to victory was always, always the same. The railroad part was boring - just run mail and passagers between the two most distant stations for maximum $$$.

RRT was an all-time classic. I'd be happy to see RRT3 return to that format with the graphics from the second installment.
Old February 4, 2003, 03:32   #6
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:37
Nooooooo...

Oh well, I can dump that The Column writing then.

Cheers!
Old February 4, 2003, 03:41   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:37
Quote:
Originally posted by moomin
RRT2 dropped the ball completely as far as being a railroad game goes. It was a stock market manipulation game and a poor one at that - the path to victory was always, always the same. The railroad part was boring - just run mail and passagers between the two most distant stations for maximum $$$.

RRT was an all-time classic. I'd be happy to see RRT3 return to that format with the graphics from the second installment.
I agree.

And I haven't found a PopTop game that I like, including Tropico.
Old February 4, 2003, 06:59   #8
The Pioneer
Prince

Well Ras, I'd like to know what you wrote in your never published, still hidden, old news Column!

So long...
Old February 4, 2003, 08:12   #9
Rasbelin
Emperor

Well, the news has been for over a few years now that Railroad Tycoon III will be published. However it has been delayed previously and now even further. The comment from PopTop Software earlier last year was that either Tropico 2 or Railroad Tycoon III would be their next project, so as they decided to go for Tropico 2, Railroad Tycoon 3 will be published sometime in 2003-2005 when they get Tropico 2 finished and out. It depends on that.

Moomin,

wrong. Many of the scenarios in the campaign are more challenging than that. Transport Teddy around for his election campaign, make large profits in the States with cattle and sheep and several other interesting scenarios. And even more in TSC.

/me is a RT, RTDX, RT2 and TSC player.
Old February 4, 2003, 08:43   #10
mactbone
Prince

Man, I remember RT. My cousins put a bunch of games on 3.5" disks and that was about the only game we could get to work. The copyprotection was a bit of a problem because you had to guess what the train was but since they let you play with only two trains even if you got it wrong, we eventually got to the point where we had them all memorized.

BTW, this was when I was like 8 years old, had no knowledge of software piracy, and no money to buy games, let alone a store that sold them (we didn't get an EB in the area until I was in High School).

That got me thinking of the times when my bro and I would sit at the computer and play a single player game together... ahhh, good times.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old February 4, 2003, 08:48   #11
The Pioneer
Prince

Ah, I always suspected that this is going on but I never had seen anything official about it. I think that RRTII is one of the greatest games to come out and despite its shortcomings it was challenging, fun and with had a high replay value.

So long...
Old February 4, 2003, 22:54   #12
Urban Ranger
Deity

Sure, RRT2 has some good points. However, overall, I rank it below the original.
Old February 4, 2003, 22:56   #13
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Many of the scenarios in the campaign are more challenging than that. Transport Teddy around for his election campaign, make large profits in the States with cattle and sheep and several other interesting scenarios. And even more in TSC.
Well, possibly, but I never got around to those. After the game had screwed me over royally, I stopped playing.
Old February 5, 2003, 03:21   #14
The Pioneer
Prince

I beg to differ. I never played the original and I can say without any bias that RRTII way truly magnificent. I also loved the music, which generally was bad in games in those years.

So long....
Old February 5, 2003, 03:57   #15
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
I beg to differ. I never played the original and I can say without any bias that RRTII way truly magnificent.
You have no basis for comparison, then.
Old February 5, 2003, 05:34   #16
The Pioneer
Prince

Why? I never compared it to its predecessor. Judging by the fan community out there I'd say that the second part was at least as much fun as the first one. There are some that grunt but that's part of life!

So long...
Old February 5, 2003, 05:50   #17
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

RailRoad Tycoon was a classic, but RRT 2 was not much... sure, it upped the graphics, but lowered the gameplay...

I can't remember much from good old RRT(1) (But I remember I loved it back then), but in RRT2 it went from 'ok' to 'annoying', in the late game, because I every two seconds got a break-down/crash or something, even though I just replaced all trains with completely new trains

But I always hated about those RRT games, is the fact that you have to go through the editor, to set which AI's you want to play against...
Old February 5, 2003, 06:18   #18
Rasbelin
Emperor

To make my opinion clear...

Railroad Tycoon
Railroad Tycoon Deluxe
Railroad Tycoon II
Railroad Tycoon II TSC
Railroad Tycooon III

So I do agree with The Pioneer and point out that the AI is weak and cheats in RT and RTDX, unlike in RT2 where it's better.
Old February 5, 2003, 09:32   #19
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I was addicted to RRT2 when I first played it. But I soon found no matter what scenario, no matter what map you play; it's the same damn thing. The only fun part was using cheats to get those super fast trains.
Old February 5, 2003, 13:06   #20
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:37
I think that RRT2 was an ok game, nothing more nothing less. But I thoroughly enjoyed Tropico. I still play it from time to time, just to have a good laugh.
Old February 5, 2003, 13:24   #21
Grumbold
Emperor

The inability to build properly on slopes and the need to chain construction huts around killed it for me so swiftly I returned the game inside the 10 day period. If I could have got past those irritations I'm sure I'd have found an amusing game.
Old February 7, 2003, 05:22   #22
Urban Ranger
Deity

There are other annoying bits too. Somehow, constructing buildings affects rainfall ( ) so my once superb plantations go down the tubes.
Old February 7, 2003, 08:51   #23
Grumbold
Emperor

Well London is always 2 degrees warmer than the surrounding counties so it makes a small amount of sense, but I was unaware Tropico would allow you to build metropolises housing 8 million people
Old April 4, 2003, 13:33   #24
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
Now that the work on Tropico 2 is pretty much done, it's back to Railroad Tycoon 3!

That's right, Take-2 has issued a press-release today, saying that PopTop is working on RR3 again. There aren't too many details, but they are hinting that there will be some kind of multiplayer support. Oooh... aaah...

The coming fall is the current target.

See the news item here:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...s_6024610.html
Spore page
Old April 4, 2003, 16:18   #25
The Pioneer
Prince

Now that's great news! I actually started a fresh game of RRT2 today and I can't wait to get my hands on the RRT3!

So long...
Old April 5, 2003, 01:39   #26
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
That's right, Take-2 has issued a press-release today, saying that PopTop is working on RR3 again.
Scratch that, then. It appears to me that anything that PopTop and/or GOD put their hands on turn into crap.
Old April 6, 2003, 01:12   #27
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 03:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Now, as long as we don't nag them and pressurise them and nag them with "When's the game coming out" so they end up releasing it prematurely like they did with MOO3; that is if we just let them get on with it and get out of their faces then when it comes out (when it's good and ready) it might actually be a good game.
Old April 6, 2003, 02:46   #28
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Does anybody here read the "ComputerGames" magazine? The May issue is going to a cool one, apparently... A preview of Rise of Nations, and Syberia 2, but most importantly for this thread...

Railroad Tycoon 3 will be it's "cover game". The already have a little preview of the contents on the web-site ( http://www.cgonline.com/ ), but of course no details. Something that I find very curious about the cover is this statement:

Railroad Tycoon 3
Exclusive!
The legendary series
returns in full 3D

Oooooh... I wonder.... I don't recall hearing anything about that anywhere before. Anybody got any ideas / knowledge about that?
Spore page
Old April 6, 2003, 02:54   #29
vovan
Emperor

Actually, now that I look at the press-release announcing the game from two days ago, it does say about the 3D:

Quote:
The third game in this series is building steam for its launch this autumn. This time the graphical locomotion driving the game will be in stunning 3D, creating breathtaking environments and a true flavor of the Golden Era of Railroading right through to modern day railroading enterprises.
From the official press-release, which is available here:
http://www.take2games.com/index.php?...03%20Announced

Hmm... Can't wait for a screenie or two to see how their 3D engine is going to work out.
Spore page
Old April 6, 2003, 06:45   #30
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

3D? And then they spend all their time to make the game great to look at, but forgets all about the gameplay... it's the neverending story...