Old April 6, 2003, 08:15   #31
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 17:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nah, I'm quite sure they won't forget about gameplay.

I just noticed that I forgot to mention in February that PopTop Software had already registered the domain railroadtycoon3.com very shortly after RT2 was released, so already back in 1998 they expected RT3 in some form.
Old April 6, 2003, 09:53   #32
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
I couldn't stand the stock market aspect either, so I ended up cheating in the first few seconds of most games and buying all my stock. It also irritated me that you couldn't assign which cars were to be "unloaded" at certain stations.

OTOH, the rest of the game was fun as hell, especially for people like me who just wanted to play in sandbox mode. RT3 might be my 2nd new game buy of the year (MOO3 was the other one (bought off Ebay for $20)).
Old April 6, 2003, 10:15   #33
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:37
The one big unforgivable omission in RRT2: can't build tunnels. My first reaction was followed quickly by

Other big ones: can't build a track into a city if somebody already has a station there (no sharing like Empire Builder, no rate war like the original RRT), can't leave stock at a station where no demand exists for it for another train to pick it up, can't build your own industries.

Small ones: can't set priority haul for a train, can only build bridges at certain places, gradient readout for tracks are not accurate.
Old April 6, 2003, 12:05   #34
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:37
I never played railroad tycoon.

I liked transport a lot. ( but that's a different story. )
Old April 6, 2003, 15:32   #35
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
The one big unforgivable omission in RRT2: can't build tunnels.
They calim to have fixed the oversight for the next installment. Another piece of quote from the press-release:

Quote:
As well as the 25 challenging scenarios to recreate magnificent feats of railroading history from around the world, players can also lay down track, complete with tunnels, bridges, and overpasses, then pick from more than 40 locomotives - from the original Planet and Norris 4-2-0 to monstrous late steam engines like the 4-6-6-4 Challenger to the ultra-modern EuroStar bullet train. Players will haul over 35 different cargos between more than 150 different buildings, in a dynamic and fluctuating economy.
Notice the tunnels in the very first sentence.
Spore page
Old April 6, 2003, 18:38   #36
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 16:37
I actually like the pop-top group, they certainly have interesting ideas i.e. Tropico 1 & 2. But I can't wait to get my hands on RRT3, I've been waiting for a long time for this game.

So long...
Old April 6, 2003, 18:45   #37
The Pioneer
Prince

Express World has very good coverage for RRT3, you can also find info on RRT2 if you are stillpplaying the game!

So long...
Old April 8, 2003, 20:45   #38
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Well, it looks like PopTop has posted a news item on RR3. (Available on the main page: http://www.poptop.com .) They are basically saying that now with Tropico 2 done, their main focus is shifting to RR3 (). And also this bit of info:

Quote:
We'll have a new webpage for the game with more details and screenshots very soon.
Heeey, now that I like.
Spore page
Old April 8, 2003, 22:53   #39
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by vovansim
They calim to have fixed the oversight for the next installment.
Oversight? Bah, tunnels were in the original Railroad Tycoon.
Old April 8, 2003, 23:32   #40
vovan
Emperor

Right. That's why I call their absence in RRII an oversight.
Spore page
Old April 9, 2003, 18:32   #41
Tau Ceti
King

Tunnels were hardly that great in the old RT either, being limited to single track, and the double track implementation there was pretty silly (double track can safely accomodate exactly two trains? ) Furthermore, tunnels on the scale we are mostly talking about in these scenarios would be pushing the boundaries of realism. Of course, the realism factor is not all that high to begin with.

Anyway...

Quote:
Other big ones: can't build a track into a city if somebody already has a station there (no sharing like Empire Builder, no rate war like the original RRT)
Huh? You can connect to your competitors' track and stations, paying fees to them for doing so. Alternatively, you can build your own station nearby, and any cargo that is within the radius of both stations appears for pickup at both, the first to pick it up getting it.

Rate wars were another annoying part of RT1, being a very artificial concept and generally extremely disruptive to your operations while they lasted.

Quote:
can't leave stock at a station where no demand exists for it for another train to pick it up
You can in The Second Century, and in the original if you have the gold edition.

Quote:
can only build bridges at certain places,
Except for the restriction that you must build at least one straight section of track on each side of a bridge, I have seen no limits to where you are allowed to build them.

Quote:
gradient readout for tracks are not accurate.
How would you know? Do you get any other information than what the game tells you?
Old April 9, 2003, 22:19   #42
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tau Ceti
Tunnels were hardly that great in the old RT either, being limited to single track, and the double track implementation there was pretty silly (double track can safely accomodate exactly two trains?
You're talking about what, early 19th century? I think that makes sense to have tunnels like that. Of course, I am not a railway historian.

Quote:
Furthermore, tunnels on the scale we are mostly talking about in these scenarios would be pushing the boundaries of realism. Of course, the realism factor is not all that high to begin with.
In fact, there was a limitation on the length of the tunnel.

Quote:
Huh? You can connect to your competitors' track and stations, paying fees to them for doing so. Alternatively, you can build your own station nearby, and any cargo that is within the radius of both stations appears for pickup at both, the first to pick it up getting it.
Not if when one of the victory conditions is to build station in a city, say, Los Angeles.

Quote:
Rate wars were another annoying part of RT1, being a very artificial concept and generally extremely disruptive to your operations while they lasted.
Artificial? Com'on, this is about railways, a wholly artificical creatiion. Besides, AFAIK, rate wars was in fact part of the actual thing.

Quote:
You can in The Second Century, and in the original if you have the gold edition.
That means I need to pay more for what should have been in the original. No thanks. It's like the publishers skim on the manuals so they can sell a few more "strategy guides." That's quite unethical if you ask me.

Quote:
Except for the restriction that you must build at least one straight section of track on each side of a bridge, I have seen no limits to where you are allowed to build them.
It doesn't say in the manual, but you can't just build a bridge anywhere in the actual game.

Quote:
How would you know? Do you get any other information than what the game tells you?
Yes. Building one single section of track often gives you a different reading than multiple sections over the same place in the same direction.
Old April 10, 2003, 12:14   #43
Tau Ceti
King

Quote:
In fact, there was a limitation on the length of the tunnel.
Yes, but that limit was still longer than any tunnels actually in existence, given the scale of the map.

Quote:
Not if when one of the victory conditions is to build station in a city, say, Los Angeles.
As long as you can build a station close enough that it says [Connected] under the city name, it should be fine.

Quote:
Artificial? Com'on, this is about railways, a wholly artificical creatiion. Besides, AFAIK, rate wars was in fact part of the actual thing.
Why would a city want to give one railroad a monopoly when it could be serviced by two (even going to different places)? And why is a rate war a better game mechanism than sharing stations or cargo - even to such an extent as to be game-destroying, apparently?

Quote:
That means I need to pay more for what should have been in the original. No thanks. It's like the publishers skim on the manuals so they can sell a few more "strategy guides." That's quite unethical if you ask me.
Nothing wrong with adding features in an expansion pack, and it is not really usual practice to add those features to the original. (And it is an additional feature, not a bug fix.) Nor was this particular case a selling point of the gold edition - it was, as usual, designed mostly for those who did not have either the original or the expansion, by bundling them and adding a couple of extra scenarios.

If you wish to hold it against the developers that they apparently did not include this particular ability in a downloadable patch, feel free. Holding it against the game, though, seems unfair.

Quote:
It doesn't say in the manual, but you can't just build a bridge anywhere in the actual game.
How, exactly? Have you just been building long stretches of track in the wilderness and then been denied the ability to cross a river? I have never been stopped from building bridges except if there are buildings in the way of the track, which is hardly unreasonable.

Quote:
Yes. Building one single section of track often gives you a different reading than multiple sections over the same place in the same direction.
That is because when you build track, you also terraform the underlying terrain. If you use the auto-pathfinding, it does all this in one stretch and attempts to minimize the grade along the entire length of the track; if you build sections one by one the terraforming is also done sequentially and this may change the grade of later track sections. The two methods are not equivalent, but I do not think they were claimed to be.
Old April 10, 2003, 12:49   #44
Grumbold
Emperor

The problem with the terraforming was that you could get quite significant differences in grade if you played around with the length and start point of your sections.

In RR3 I would hope to see far more extensive options, like building cuttings and bridges to keep the track level and tunnels short even when the terrain does not cross a river or other major feature.
Old April 12, 2003, 02:16   #45
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Yes, but that limit was still longer than any tunnels actually in existence, given the scale of the map.
That's still better than the inability to build any, in terms of game-play.

Quote:
Why would a city want to give one railroad a monopoly when it could be serviced by two (even going to different places)? And why is a rate war a better game mechanism than sharing stations or cargo - even to such an extent as to be game-destroying, apparently?
Because railway building is (was) so expensive, that the companies would like to make sure they could get a return on their investment by signing an exclusive contract with the cities they serve.

Now, I don't mind sharing, but why couldn't I build track into a station? That's just as strange as rate wars if you ask me.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with adding features in an expansion pack, and it is not really usual practice to add those features to the original. (And it is an additional feature, not a bug fix.) Nor was this particular case a selling point of the gold edition - it was, as usual, designed mostly for those who did not have either the original or the expansion, by bundling them and adding a couple of extra scenarios.
It simply doesn't make sense not being able to leave cargos in a station of a city where the cargos are not in demand. Do people just come in and take the stuff?

Quote:
How, exactly? Have you just been building long stretches of track in the wilderness and then been denied the ability to cross a river? I have never been stopped from building bridges except if there are buildings in the way of the track, which is hardly unreasonable.
Can't remember the exact situations now.

Quote:
That is because when you build track, you also terraform the underlying terrain. If you use the auto-pathfinding, it does all this in one stretch and attempts to minimize the grade along the entire length of the track; if you build sections one by one the terraforming is also done sequentially and this may change the grade of later track sections. The two methods are not equivalent, but I do not think they were claimed to be.
They should be, since I wouldn't be ripping up the existing tracks.
Old April 12, 2003, 09:43   #46
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 10:37
maybe i have a different version of RRT II than whats being discussed here, but i don't have any problem building tracks to a rival station (rival company gets a cut of the delivery payment) or even building my own station in the same city as a rival company (i've even driven that comany's profits down by delaying trains so that they made delivery or pickup moments before the rival train arrived). As for tunnels, I'm disappointed they weren't allowed in there (those 6-12% grades drained sand in no time flat). For length of them, I would like to think of them as a series of tunnels rather than 1 long tunnel, kind of like the ones going under the Alps. individually, each is pretty darn long. together, it makes for a very long tunnel system (had to ride a bus through some of those tunnels once when an avalanche knocked out the train tracks from Switzerland into Austria)
Old April 14, 2003, 08:51   #47
The Pioneer
Prince

I concur with SCG, I can connect to track and stations of the competition. I of course have to pay a fee for using his infrastruczure but there a lot of times when it makes sense to do so.

So long...
Old April 30, 2003, 12:54   #48
The Pioneer
Prince

Here you can find the first screenshots of the game.

So long...
Old April 30, 2003, 13:52   #49
vovan
Emperor

Too bad the screenies are in BMP format and are between 1.5 and 3 MB each... So, I figured, I'd compress them a little bit for those of you on slower connections.

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:

Enjoy.
Spore page
Old April 30, 2003, 14:58   #50
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:37
Those look beautiful.
Old April 30, 2003, 15:02   #51
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 07:37
Those graphihcs dont really grab me. I hope they arnt the final ones. It looks to me there is just some random houses in the forest, and the train is so small compared to the farm house.
Old April 30, 2003, 15:37   #52
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 12:37
I like those graphics.
Old April 30, 2003, 16:25   #53
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
Those graphihcs dont really grab me. I hope they arnt the final ones. It looks to me there is just some random houses in the forest, and the train is so small compared to the farm house.
Just as I thought as I saw the pictures...
Old April 30, 2003, 17:08   #54
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I don't particularly fancy the graphics either, but then I don't care so long as the game is good - which, IMHO, RRT2 wasn't. Anyway, it would be more interesting to see how it looks at maximum zoom-out, which is where most of us spend most time, except when laying down some really obnoxious piece of track.
Old April 30, 2003, 17:14   #55
The Pioneer
Prince

These graphics do not grab me either and I hope they will improve them. As moomin said most of us will play zoomed out so we can have more control.

On the other side graphics are not why I would buy a game like that. I hope that we will get some more details on the game itself in the next few days!

So long...
Old May 1, 2003, 04:46   #56
pg
Prince

after seeing those screenshots my interest has effectly dropped to zero for this game. the only impressive thing about them is the draw distance. the models(trains, trees, buildings, etc) look totally out of place. it looks like a college project or something. i prefer the old 2d graphics over these by a longshot.

what's worse though is that those screenshots just make me feel as if the gameplay couldn't possibility be enhanced by 3d graphics like that. it looks like rt3 will most likely be a struggle against the interface. i could be wrong however...
Old May 1, 2003, 05:39   #57
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by pg
it looks like rt3 will most likely be a struggle against the interface. i could be wrong however...
If you have played the other RRT kinda game, that was released about a year ago, which was also 3D, then you know you're right... it's a struggle against the interface... It's diffecult to make this right, so I doubt they will...
Old May 1, 2003, 10:54   #58
pg
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
If you have played the other RRT kinda game, that was released about a year ago, which was also 3D, then you know you're right... it's a struggle against the interface... It's diffecult to make this right, so I doubt they will...
i haven't played that game you mentioned but in general 3d is usually horrible for tbs/rts/simulations. there are exceptions of course and removing a free floating camera as being required to play the game is usually going a long way to improving playability.
Old May 1, 2003, 11:09   #59
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
It looks to me there is just some random houses in the forest, and the train is so small compared to the farm house.
To be fair, the early locomotives and carridges weren't all that big.