Old February 19, 2001, 08:31   #1
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 05:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Yes! A Transcend Victory!
Just finshed my first game on Transcend - a victory. And a very fun one two.

To give myself a fighting chance I took Pirates on a Standard world, 50% ocean. Random other factions became UoP, Drones, Angels, Miriam, Alien 1&2. Started off near H'minee, and went to war with her fairly quickly (not through my wishes). Gradually got at war with everyone except Roze, who had been eradicated by Miriam in the early stages, and Zak, who was tiny and getting smaller. The Drones also were destroyed, but restarted. Realising I needed a loyal ally, I actually managed to free Roze from New Jerusalem (yay!) and she became a good friend. For a while anyway .

The wierd thing about these wars was that Tachyon was available to everyone before anyone had silksteel. And by the time Shard was available to everyone, I was the only one with silksteel.

So things are going swimmingly, looks like a fairly easy win, when Marr PB's my HQ. Bugger. Lost WP, NA, VW, HSA and one other, I think. At this point I noticed that lots of the AI were building busters , so I thought I'd best retaliate. Bee-line to busters, then to ODP. All bases then alternated busters and ODPs until I had 10 busters stockpiled. And by this time, I had Singularity. Waiting to repeal charter, sunspots happened first, so I launched all 10 at once, 2 per faction. Curiously, after the first one, I was mass Vendetta'd even though I was in sunspots - is this normal? This is around 2450.

Cue mass death and destruction in a 20 tile radius, massive global sea-rising (drowning's fun!) and 30 years of worm rape.

Then in 2480, "Mandatory retirement in 20 years". Damn, I'd forgotten that. My only chance was to run for transcendence. 3 techs to go at 1 every 5 turns with labs on 100%. 2493 or so, got the Threshold. Switched to 100% econ, set best base to build voice. Since 2480, all other bases have been on Sing Chopper Supply duty (unfortunately missiles destroyed some of my stockpile). 2495, bought Voice for half my energy, no supplies. 2496 Started ascent, cashed all choppers. Not enough. 2497 Cahsed 2 choppers just built, bought with half cash. Victory in 2498, 2 years before retirement.

Final score 1822, rating 170% (Sentient Econ. Made Simple). That was fun.
Old February 19, 2001, 10:30   #2
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 01:35
Congratulations. Nothing beats the first one and it sounds as if you had a wild time of it. Now you will have the irresistable urge to do it again !!
[This message has been edited by cbn (edited February 19, 2001).]
Old February 20, 2001, 08:23   #3
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 05:05
Oh yes, I forgot. I have a complete series of saves (at irregular intervals) including all the autosaves leading up to transcendance, in case anyone is interested. I probably can't send them all in one file, though, as I would have to fit them on a floppy.