View Poll Results: Shall the Senate pass Enabeling legislation of the Persian campaign
Yea 18 50.00%
Nay 18 50.00%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3, 2003, 13:25   #1
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 09:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Senate Bill: Enabeling legislation for Persian campaign
Senate Bill: Enabeling the Persian campaign

Shall the Senate pass a resolution authorizing the FM to make a RoP agreement with Greece, and assuming diplomatic success, issue a Declaration of War against Persia.

The discussion thread is located at:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthre...42&goto=newpost

-edited redundant material

Ssgt roadcage (retired)

Last edited by roadcage; February 4, 2003 at 13:49.
Old February 3, 2003, 13:33   #2
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 12:39
Yea.
Old February 3, 2003, 13:40   #3
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Yes, I finally got it. I know what the problem was, I was previewing instead of posting the Poll. On the lookout for a few large trout

This legislative stuff is so new to me. In RL all I have to do is write a white paper for my boss.
Old February 3, 2003, 13:50   #4
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:39
Yea.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 3, 2003, 14:26   #5
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Persia: Sure, won't slow down Hospital builds or other needed improvements.

We won't even need settlers for this:
Neither of the Persian cities can be moved without the territory becoming Greek.

(Persia seems to have previously lost Sidon to the Aztecs and it's other northern city to the English.)

I also noted that the Greeks now own Centralia. (Possible cultural flip?)

Last edited by joncnunn; February 3, 2003 at 15:52.
Old February 3, 2003, 15:30   #6
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 11:39
There is no reason for this wanton violence! I draw the line here! No more reckless war!
Old February 3, 2003, 17:12   #7
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Hmm... this gets us oil and saltpeter (in other words, it gets us an oil) and brings the last of Persia into Apolytonia. Without delaying infrastructure.

Old February 3, 2003, 18:01   #8
roadcage
Prince

Roleplay

For what purpose does the Gentleman from Texas rise?

Mr President, I rise to thank my most renound builder colleagues from Texas and Maryland. I rejoice that we can join hands across the isle when our interests are aligned.

We take this action not as a wanton act of destruction, but rather to harvest a just reward for the memory of those brave swords and knights that paid the highest price on the plains of Presopolis so very long ago.

I reach across the isle to the Gentleman from Conneticut and ask him to please reconsider and join us as we commit to complete their grand task.
Old February 3, 2003, 18:52   #9
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:39
Our armed forces are ready, mobile, and anxious to keep themselves busy.

I vote
Old February 3, 2003, 19:02   #10
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Nay

Not because I care about Persia, but because I believe the signing of a RoP agreement to be a mistake. The esteemed members of the Senate should recall what happened the LAST TIME we signed a RoP agreement with one of our neighbors... Indeed, Persia comes to mind.

I'd rather not make the same mistake when railroads give a potential foe such unlimited access to our empire.
Old February 3, 2003, 20:11   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Nay

Not because I care about Persia, but because I believe the signing of a RoP agreement to be a mistake. The esteemed members of the Senate should recall what happened the LAST TIME we signed a RoP agreement with one of our neighbors... Indeed, Persia comes to mind.

I'd rather not make the same mistake when railroads give a potential foe such unlimited access to our empire.
Ditto.
Old February 3, 2003, 20:42   #12
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
what did happen the last time we had an ROP? (I hadn't joined then)
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old February 3, 2003, 21:20   #13
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
what did happen the last time we had an ROP? (I hadn't joined then)
Persia used the RoP to invade our territory and surprise attack us behind our front lines.

Had we had railroads, they could have taken Apolyton itself for all we know...

Thankfully, we did NOT have railroads and were able to first beat off the Persian invaders and EVENTUALLY (though it took quite some time) invade Persia due to the good work of then SMC Aggie and those assisting with the war planning.

Signing a RoP with an industrialized AI civ while our entire territory has railroads has the potential to be an unmitigated disaster. Unlike Persia that didn't even have a source of iron until they were nearly dead, Greece has a modern army and would probably use it.
Old February 3, 2003, 21:47   #14
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

NO ROP, it is unnecessary and could cause huge problems. Remember the Persia ROP.
Aggie
Old February 3, 2003, 22:12   #15
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

But maybe we don't need any RoP.

We can take Samaria in three turns, I think.. E-Town will expand the cultural border in three turns, too. So, we can take Samaria and still connected with the rest of Empire, after the downsizing of the cultural border. Btw, there's no another spot to found a city closest to Hamadan, we should keep Samaria. Our workers will be able to railroad the city.

From there, we can launch an assault to Hamadan without even touch the greek soil (am I right?); more 3 turns to take the city...
So, 6 (maybe 7) turns to take the last Persian city.

Hmmm... Well, I'm a lousy strategist... One of you, guys (Mesh? Aggie? roadcage?) certainly can think in a better plan. Could you make this in 5 turns? And how much 6 turns can affect happiness, the WLPDs and the approval rate?

NOTE:
I completely agree with Arnelos and Aggie, no RoP. But this doesn't means no war.

Last edited by Aro; February 3, 2003 at 22:20.
Old February 3, 2003, 22:23   #16
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Nay

This poll don't says nothing about RoP, it's about war with Persia or not. If possible, of course...
Old February 3, 2003, 22:31   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro

This poll don't says nothing about RoP, it's about war with Persia or not. If possible, of course...
But this bill authorizes the plan which includes the RoP.
Old February 3, 2003, 22:40   #18
Aro
lifer
Emperor

"Shall the Senate pass Enabling legislation of the Persian campaign?"

The plan can be discussed, I understood this bill as an authorization to take Persia before the Greeks.

But I can be wrong (likely).
Old February 3, 2003, 22:44   #19
roadcage
Prince

Actually the bill does mention an RoP. It mentions it because without an RoP, it is doubtful that we will beat the Greeks to Hamadan. We should still take Samaria in 2. Now if the Greeks slip up and allow us to take both cities in a simple westward advance, the RoP is not needed. But I don't think they will. If we can settle for Samaria only, we don't need an RoP

However, there is absolutley no risk in an RoP because we have ample workers to block and ample defenders to protect our interests. This is diametrically opposed to the condition that existed when the original RoP with Persia was negotiated so very long ago. I questioned that RoP because Persia is agressive, we had few if any defenders, and we were preparing to commit our attackers to a war with France at the opposite end of our empire. We were lucky. This time we are prepared.
Old February 3, 2003, 22:50   #20
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by roadcage

However, there is absolutley no risk in an RoP because we have ample workers to block and ample defenders to protect our interests. This is diametrically opposed to the condition that existed when the original RoP with Persia was negotiated so very long ago. I questioned that RoP because Persia is agressive, we had few if any defenders, and we were preparing to commit our attackers to a war with France at the opposite end of our empire. We were lucky. This time we are prepared.
Good point, roadcage. We have workers and troops. Meshelic also said something about this in the Persia thread.
Old February 3, 2003, 23:04   #21
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

But we don't have enough troops toprotect ALL borders and because of the ai's tendency toward rops we woul;d have to seal off all our borders and if he should attack a border unit and break through he could take much of ourr country unopposed. Also he could land else where and move through. I say NO to the rop.
Aggie
Old February 3, 2003, 23:05   #22
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

There's also the possibility of landing forces by ship to utilize our railroads, we would have to line units along our coast also.
Old February 3, 2003, 23:26   #23
Aro
lifer
Emperor

You're probably right, guys. A RoP may be dangerous.
But... the question is, can we study the possibility of a war with Persia? That's the subject here.
I say yes, we can do that.
Old February 3, 2003, 23:59   #24
roadcage
Prince

Nonesense. We have over 100 surplus workers and almost as many Infantry. Nobody has marines, so landing forces cannot attack on the turn. THERE IS NO RISK in the proposed RoP.

Here's the skinny
With a RoP Hamadan in 1 and Samaria in 2
Without a RoP Samaria in 2 and Hamadan in 3

With a RoP all cities are probable
Without a RoP, Greece could easily beat us to Hamadan
Old February 4, 2003, 00:04   #25
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Just go and attack the Persians.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 4, 2003, 00:40   #26
Aggie
King

1 extra city is not worth the danger and hassle of an rop, and there is a chance we can get both without. also note that if this line should be breached, since we would need many infantry to hold it, our cities would be undefended and could easily be rushed. Also rememeber amphibious warfare could well be discovered before the 20 turns were through. As far as war i say yes and wish these had been 2 seperate bills.
Aggie

Last edited by Aggie; February 4, 2003 at 00:46.
Old February 4, 2003, 01:08   #27
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aggie
wish these had been 2 seperate bills.
My wishes as well.
Old February 4, 2003, 04:20   #28
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Why are we in such a rush to capture two corrupt Persian cities? I understand that they'll be good staging points for capturing the Greek ivory, but if we're heading to a war with Greece anyway, we'll be able to capture these two cities from Greece using artillery and tanks.
I'm in favor of an all out war against Greece once we build a formidable force of tanks. Then we'll be able to take their core, which will add many productive cities (good terrain + close to the palace) to our empire, and once their core is taken and most of their military might will have been expended, we'll be able to march all the way to the ivory coast with little resistance.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 4, 2003, 05:44   #29
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:39
Although I already voted, I admit I believe it was a mistake, and that I do not support a ROP treaty with the Greeks at this time.

The dangers, upon looking not only at the save game, but also the history of the AI and how it works towards ROP's at this level of difficulty, leads me to believe that although our military is strong, we are not strong enough to withstand the potential threat to our security, and I don't wish to see our security compromised in any fashion.

I support a war against Persia, but not involving a ROP with Alexander.
Old February 4, 2003, 07:43   #30
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

great , we are going after a couple GL's , why waste the oppurtunity , we should go to war after we have used our last one , then we get the best chance to generate a new one and we shall be prepared for it , .....

or we could use the one we have right now , ....

no to ROP

we dont need it (!)

have a nice day