Old February 5, 2003, 04:31   #31
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Local Time: 15:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay
Sandals have got to be worst fashion item on men ever,especially worn without socks.

Women have nice feet. You have grubby feet. nuff said
Since I go barefoot all the time I always keep my feet done. Right now the toes are fire engine red
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old February 5, 2003, 05:23   #32
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat
Since I go barefoot all the time I always keep my feet done. Right now the toes are fire engine red
Your toes?
Old February 5, 2003, 09:56   #33
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:41
I can never fit into those elastic tennis-shoes, even though I've tried, and its not as if I have unnatural sized feet.

Laces pwn you!
Old February 5, 2003, 10:11   #34
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Propaganda
What's wrong Zylka, haven't learned to tie your shoes yet?
I suspect many of his rantings are due to ineptness.
Old February 5, 2003, 11:58   #35
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

You really do take any ammunition that's handed, I'm impressed!!! Serbia would be a wonderful place for an individual of your calibre, you know?
Old February 5, 2003, 12:03   #36
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Just supporting another poster's observation. It's nice to see someone can use wits instead of insults and vulgarity.

As for on topic discussion:
I enjoy sandals in the warmer seasons. But I don't have a problem with laces as I learned to tie them when I was like 4.
Old February 5, 2003, 12:13   #37
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Just supporting another poster's observation. It's nice to see someone can use wits instead of insults and vulgarity.
Perhaps if you weren't so ****ING ILLITERATE you would have noted that it was my sarcastic observation in the first place? "Use wits" is a lovely piece of grammar I'm not sure I'm too ready to support, but the insults and vulgarity seem to do the job when the right grade of person renders them worthy!!!

CAN U SHRARE A BUBBA FATT PICTRUE WITH ME SXY DOUDE? STARR WAZS
Old February 5, 2003, 12:22   #38
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Ill. Only the burgundy pair of shoes are of any value.
You must be an old man. Not meant as an insult, but I agree that most other pairs are meant for the early twenties groups of today to grow into and evolve as a style.
Old February 5, 2003, 12:22   #39
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
Perhaps if you weren't so ****ING ILLITERATE you would have noted that it was my sarcastic observation in the first place? "Use wits" is a lovely piece of grammar I'm not sure I'm too ready to support, but the insults and vulgarity seem to do the job when the right grade of person renders them worthy!!!

CAN U SHRARE A BUBBA FATT PICTRUE WITH ME SXY DOUDE? STARR WAZS

One more time Zylka... DON'T ATTACK OTHER MEMBERS OF THIS SITE. ONE MORE INSULT AGAINST SAVA (or anybody else) ANYWHERE ON THIS SITE, AND YOU WILL GET RESTRICTED.
Old February 5, 2003, 12:23   #40
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:41
I agree, Zylka, that shoe lace-less shoes and other footwear are gaining in popularity, but I don't think that they are doing so fast enough to justify saying that they will be treated like powdered wigs a mere 50 years from now. I'm betting shoelaces will hold out at least 75 years, more likely a hundred, simply because we take them for granted and don't really think about them.

I hate sandals, by the way. I just don't like the way they feel.
Albert Speer
Old February 5, 2003, 12:29   #41
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

One more time Zylka... DON'T ATTACK OTHER MEMBERS OF THIS SITE. ONE MORE INSULT AGAINST SAVA (or anybody else) ANYWHERE ON THIS SITE, AND YOU WILL GET RESTRICTED.
Alright - I now realize he's been abused more than is normally allowed here

Thank you for stepping in with the reality check... now its time to move on and have fun with something that won't upset you!
Old February 6, 2003, 00:08   #42
mindseye
King

Local Time: 23:41
As someone who wears laced shoes living in a society where everyone wears "slip-ons" I could not agree more strongly with the premise of this thread!

Chinese just kick off their shoes when entering a home, while I have to stand in the doorway in my coat, bending over, red-faced, jerking at my invariably knotted laces. At departure time, everyone else is outside waiting for me while I struggle with my footwear.

Why don't I just buy Chinese shoes (many of which, these days, are quite stylish)? Because I wear an American size 12 (Chinese size 47 or 48), and I have yet to find shoes locally that will fit me. There are Chinese men around who are taller than my 6'3"/190cm (e.g. my boss, the manager of my apartment building), but their hands and feet are smaller than mine.

Down with shoelaces!

Last edited by mindseye; February 6, 2003 at 00:14.
Old February 6, 2003, 02:02   #43
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 08:41
Being a professional shoe salesman, I feel it quite approprite to comment on this matter.

Shoelaces are not indeed for everyone. However, there are those less fortunate persons whose feet prevent the use of slip-on footwear for sports purposes simply because of their shape. Like my feet for example -- having literally no arch in my foot, I find any pair of slip-on/elastic shoes to fall off after any short distance, even when the shoes are several sizes too small for my size 13 feet. My particular answer to this? Tie the laces on the shoes once. With a double knot. Then, just slip them on and off without worrying about tying or untying the laces. Easy solve.

While working, I find laces to be a hassle. They tend to be disorderly no matter how I try to straighten them up, and oftentimes enterprising idiots will steal the laces off of a pair of shoes and leave the shoes in place. This requires that I open a new pair of laces and take the 5-10 minutes to completely relace each shoe, time which could be much better spent acting busy while looking at a clipboard. Also, there's the 'elderly' factor -- old men/women with bad hips/knees/ankles/feet that require that I tie their laces. And that's just nasty.

All in all? I see shoelaces as being on the way out, but still a necessary evil for the less well off in the foot department. Still, there are ways to overcome the necessity of laces, and almost fit into the clique of cutting-edge footwear.