Old February 19, 2001, 14:55   #1
lbores
Warlord

Local Time: 05:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'll trade you an aggie for 2 puries.
Which may puzzle some of you young whippersnappers who've probably never played Marbles let alone seen one. But my question has to do with Tech trades.

I will usually only trade tech at the same level. If they're offering a higher level tech, I always check the datalinks. I never trade tech for world maps (unless I'm going to war) and I never respond positively to a coerced trade nor will I pay or trade for a comm link. I'll sometimes do 'a personal favor' for Deirdre but never for Miriam. I hate Miriam - well and truly; it's personal. It's her whole ethos but that's another story. My greatest joy is seeing her being zapped during 'interrogation' and I'm a physician, a healer! Go figure.
Old February 19, 2001, 22:17   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 01:05
Many times I will give a higher level tech for a lower level one against the computers, because I know that I will make better use of the created tech equality. Of course, if someone asks me to trade Applied Gravitonics for Unified Field Theory, they are likely to get a PB stuffed in their unmentionables.

But then again, if I am feeling like being challenged by the AI, I will trade or give away techs to my disadvantage; this way, I know that the computer will at least have a fighting against me. Wish I didn't have to do it, but you know how the AI can be.

As far as the AI threatening me to give techs, well, that just depends on my ability to stand against the coercer, or I just take a chance at them going away with only their displeasure, and not a vendetta!
Old February 20, 2001, 10:41   #3
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 01:35
I do trade techs in the early game since a human can take advantage of the techs so much more. Later I am less influenced by the tech level but am very concerned by what the tech does. Playing blind research I would be willing to trade any number of 4 or 5 level techs to get Inustrial Automation. I also really attempt to get but will generally not trade away any of the big military techs: Doctrine Air Power, MMI or fusion power.

I will pay reasonable sums for comm frequencies or tech. It seems that you can reduce the amount of money demanded for frequencies(or techs) by doing some rush-buying before making contact. Its anecdotal evidence only but the less money you have , the less they seem to demand. Ten or 20 credits seems a small price to pay to get the possibility of tech trades and/or commerce income from a faction you would not get to talk to otherwise.
[This message has been edited by cbn (edited February 20, 2001).]
Old February 20, 2001, 11:18   #4
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 00:05
Meeting and greeting is one of the most important things in the early game. Always try to get commlinks. Hesitate to give them away. Being the only point of contact among the factions can give *huge* benefits in terms of tech trade. In a MP game I actually delayed the plan gov vote (of which I was the winner), to preserve my position as the "man in the middle."
Old February 20, 2001, 11:29   #5
Clear Skies
Prince

I'm very big on tech trading.
I'll take anything offered as long as the one i give in return isn't more than 1 level below it. Also, I won't trade big military advances like the MMI or Advanced Spaceflight for anything less than 3 levels above (which, needless to say, hardly ever happens.) I'm also cautious of giving factions techs which will give them massive benefits, such as giving the Data Angels the tech which leads to the HSA or the NHT SPs.

Other than that, they offer, I give. I always trade for commlink frequencies - it's like being able to read a whole book when everyone else only has a couple of pages. Aside from the Commerce bonus, the ability to negotiate deals, etc. is incredible - that's why the minute I get the ability to build the Empath Guild I build it!
Old February 20, 2001, 19:54   #6
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Given the bug recently discovered that causes the Angels' probe rating to roll over, it might actually be worth giving them the NHT...
Old February 20, 2001, 21:56   #7
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 06:05
I pay no attention whatsoever to the level of the tech being traded, although in MP I meet a number of players who seem to attach inordinate importance to this aspect of the trade. The only 2 things that interest me are:

1 What does it do?
2 Do I want it?

Every tech costs the same to research, no matter what level. If you pursue a very focused beeline that gets you up to level 4 techs and then you have to go back for a level 1, that petty level 1 tech will cost you exactly the same, in research points, as a level 5.

To be honest, I have never understood the tech level ratings, they have little or no relevance in the game. Understanding the tech tree itself - now that's a different matter. Some of the most important techs are puny by "level" rating. Industrial Automation, Gene Splicing, even Env Economics. It really makes no sense to judge techs by tech level.
Old February 20, 2001, 22:12   #8
Fitz
King

Local Time: 21:05
Local Date: October 30, 2010
There are two other important questions, Misotu:

3. What am I giving away?
4. Is the trade equal in terms of questions 1-3?
Old February 21, 2001, 05:50   #9
Skanderbeg
Warlord

I will make nearly every deal of tech against tech, with only a few exceptions (it's certainly NOT a good idea to deal fusion or orbital spaceflight to Yang or Miriam), and I also buy every tech if possible. I also buy comm frequencies, but I rarely trade tech against frequency or maps (but, there are also excpetions).
I don't care about the level of the tech I deal, in this case I agree to Misotu. And playing blind research, You need every tech, the useless techs like optical computers as well.

When someone offers me a deal I ask myself:

5. Will the tech trade partner use this tech against me?

If yes, I refuse the deal, except I am the one who get's the better profit of the deal.

Old February 21, 2001, 09:59   #10
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

I once met a player who wanted to trade 3 of his level 1 techs for my level 3 tech. Needless to say, I won that game....

Having said that, I pay no attention at all to the level of the trade - just the uses of the tech in question. For instance, if someone wanted to trade their Optical Computers (D3) for my Ethical Calculus (E2) (assuming I wasn't after Fusion Power) I would turn them down flat until I had a use for it. After all, any surplus techs you get only increase the cost of the next one....

I also place very high priority on techs I am already researching, especially if my preferred choice didn't come up - because it allows me to switch without penalty.

Commlinks - I will usually pay good money for commlinks - failing that, I will attempt to sign a pact, and have them give me it for nothing. I agree fully that they are one of the most valuable commodities in the early game.