Old February 4, 2003, 21:43   #31
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I would be against making contact with alien civilizations only for their own protection.
Either they are less advanced than us, in which case we aren't gonna find them anytime soon or they are more advanced than us, which means we don't want them to find us. Even assuming they aren't a warlike or imperial species, our civilizations would be massively altered by contact, and our societies would experience massive disruption.

Carl Sagan said that warlike societies were most likely to wipe themselves out before they reached spacefilght. One hopes he's right.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 4, 2003, 23:27   #32
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:43
I have to agree with che. "Space aliens" doesn't exactly invoke the image of fungus growing on rocks.
Old February 4, 2003, 23:44   #33
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 10:43
Oh so we are depending on Carl Sagan. Great. Makes me feel safe.

It is perfectly plausible that advanced aliens have been watching us develop since before the dinos.
Old February 4, 2003, 23:58   #34
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

If you only look objectively at the level of technology the world reached before the spacecraft was recovered (area 51) and the technological advances since, you would have to conclude that we are not alone.
Old February 5, 2003, 00:01   #35
Urban Ranger
Deity

The advance in technolgy always accelerates due to the accumulation in knowledge. Nothing surprising there. Besides, most of the inventions did not come from the military, which puts a nice hole in your theory.
Old February 5, 2003, 00:01   #36
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

A Carl Sagan hater, huh? Sagan's IQ and knowledge is much more than every single Bush family member combined, my friend. And even then, this UberBush glob of ignorance would still not be able to beat Sagan at Jeopardy.

God Bless America
Old February 5, 2003, 01:20   #37
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
If you only look objectively at the level of technology the world reached before the spacecraft was recovered (area 51) and the technological advances since, you would have to conclude that we are not alone.
Well, **** son, how do you objectively explain the level of technology the world reached prior to 1947? And how do you objectively explain away the fact that the progress past that date is logically derived from advances achieved before that date? I guess it is now too un-PC to claim that Egyptians were so stupid they couldn't layer blocks, so now the idea is that white males are so stupid they couldn't have invented the transistor? That is so much better!

Old February 5, 2003, 01:22   #38
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmytrick
How the heck does some wheather balloon fragments help our technology advance?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 5, 2003, 01:24   #39
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Either they are less advanced than us, in which case we aren't gonna find them anytime soon or they are more advanced than us, which means we don't want them to find us. Even assuming they aren't a warlike or imperial species, our civilizations would be massively altered by contact, and our societies would experience massive disruption.

Carl Sagan said that warlike societies were most likely to wipe themselves out before they reached spacefilght. One hopes he's right.
wouldnt warlike species have more need to advance. Like for example. us?
Old February 5, 2003, 01:35   #40
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:43
I doubt that Bush used the term "Space Aliens." Besides, the US government has long believed in the possiblity of extra terrestial life. Look at SETI and the original Explorer that took with it artifacts of human existence as it exited the solar system.

As to UFO's. They certainly exist. But what they are is still a mystery.

Last edited by Ned; February 5, 2003 at 03:23.
Old February 5, 2003, 01:36   #41
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I think that the UFO sightings that are popularized are mostly just natural phenomena. Although I think that some are probably government aerospace prototypes.
Old February 5, 2003, 01:37   #42
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
We aren't all that warlike. Unfortunately, some "leaders" are.
Old February 5, 2003, 01:41   #43
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

We're more of a "capitalistic" war-like society. Bear with me. We don't necessarily kill all of each other, just enough to "compete" and advance. Eventually, we'll probably find someone else to "compete" with instead of ourselves.
Old February 5, 2003, 01:55   #44
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:43
Quote:
Carl Sagan said that warlike societies were most likely to wipe themselves out before they reached spacefilght.
What did Sagan base this statement on?
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old February 5, 2003, 01:58   #45
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

His seamonkeys ??
Old February 5, 2003, 02:04   #46
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefu

What did Sagan base this statement on?
His working of The Drake equation in the book Cosmos.
Old February 5, 2003, 02:10   #47
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 09:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
I'm gobsmacked. Just when I thought that the situation couldn't get any more screwed up.

If Iraq doesn't distract the voters, then wheel out ET. What next?

"Ma fellow Americans, we have uncovered new and convincing evidence that Saddam Hussein is the Anti-Christ."

I burst out laughing when i thought you were gonan say...

"Ma fellow Americans, we have uncovered new and convincing evidence that Saddam Hussein is a Space Alien."

Kman
Old February 5, 2003, 02:36   #48
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:43
I don't know about this UFO thing. If you take the number of people who have seen ghosts and the number of people who have seen alien spacecraft it is probably similar. Quite possibly more people have seen ghosts than UFOs. Yet no one seriously thinks ghosts could actually exist.

Poltergeists is another matter entirely - that is objects mysteriously moving or falling down. I believe in that, but I don't know what causes it. Might be a natural phenomenon.
Old February 5, 2003, 02:38   #49
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sounds pretty arbitrary, Tripledoc, but I guess that's why they call them "beliefs" and not "facts."
Old February 5, 2003, 03:27   #50
Ned
King

Well the way some of these UFOs behave, they have to be some sort of holographic projection of some sort - probably naturally caused.
Old February 5, 2003, 03:52   #51
Urban Ranger
Deity

My biggest beef with all these UFO's are, why are they sneaking around snooping? Why don't they just land in front of the UN in broad daylight to make a statement?
Old February 5, 2003, 04:04   #52
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
We came perilously close to anihilating ourselves. If we were only slightly more warlike, the master race would be cockroaches. We really only made it by the skin of our teeth.
Old February 5, 2003, 04:15   #53
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
My biggest beef with all these UFO's are, why are they sneaking around snooping? Why don't they just land in front of the UN in broad daylight to make a statement?
Plausible deniability.
If they do make contact and there's some kind of record of it they might be in some way associated with mankinds future actions. Given mankinds past actions they may not be enthralled with this possibility.
ie: Maybe their society hasn't quite evolved beyond space lawyers yet.
Old February 5, 2003, 04:22   #54
aaglo
King

Local Time: 18:43
Bush is just being populistic.

The only thing he believes in is money.
Old February 5, 2003, 05:00   #55
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:43
Quote:
not necessarily. Once humanity will live in more than a single planet by the millions, I don't think that we will be able to wipe ourselves out. That wouldn't prevent us from massacring the poor peaceful species of Zharhhhu that lives on Vega's second planet.

Seriously, If there is intelligent life, and we are more advanced than it is, there is no doubt in my heart that we'll make them extinct.
Old February 5, 2003, 05:19   #56
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Seriously, If there is intelligent life, and we are more advanced than it is, there is no doubt in my heart that we'll make them extinct.
Not necessarily ... My housecat is actually pretty darned intelligent IMO ... and humans have coddled and nurtured pets for centuries.
Now intelligent life on par with homo sapiens technologically (and able to present a threat - implied or imagined) is a different matter entirely ...
Old February 5, 2003, 05:28   #57
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon
Plausible deniability.
If they do make contact and there's some kind of record of it they might be in some way associated with mankinds future actions. Given mankinds past actions they may not be enthralled with this possibility.
ie: Maybe their society hasn't quite evolved beyond space lawyers yet.
Possibly the Prime Directive.
Old February 5, 2003, 05:42   #58
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

If there is intelligent life I would think there would be a good chance they looked like us. Depending on the general climate of the planet they might be shorter or taller or what have you. Maybe there would be the possibility of interbreeding in which case extinction seems improbable.

On the other hand I have heard some say that first contact will probably be with an artificial intelligence incorporated into a mechanical mobile unit. Robots in short. That might pose a problem unless these entities are programmed to be ethical - that is optimally primed for survival.

Non-intelligent life - a virus for instance - will be very dangerous.
Old February 5, 2003, 05:53   #59
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripledoc
If there is intelligent life I would think there would be a good chance they looked like us. Depending on the general climate of the planet they might be shorter or taller or what have you. Maybe there would be the possibility of interbreeding in which case extinction seems improbable.

On the other hand I have heard some say that first contact will probably be with an artificial intelligence incorporated into a mechanical mobile unit. Robots in short. That might pose a problem unless these entities are programmed to be ethical - that is optimally primed for survival.

Non-intelligent life - a virus for instance - will be very dangerous.
Do you think all intelligent life is tailess?
Old February 5, 2003, 06:58   #60
Tripledoc
ACDG The Human Hive
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Do you think all intelligent life is tailess?
Cats are intelligent. But unfortunately they are also autistic which makes it hard for us to communicate with them.