Old February 7, 2003, 08:01   #61
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 02:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
their habitat isn't the whole of Planet, it's the fungus. Within the fungus they have everything they need to survive, and can do so more or less forever. Outside it, they have very little time to find somewhere to lay their young.
Old February 7, 2003, 08:35   #62
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
their habitat isn't the whole of Planet, it's the fungus. Within the fungus they have everything they need to survive, and can do so more or less forever. Outside it, they have very little time to find somewhere to lay their young.
This is not "official" mindworm biology, but fictional speculation. You know that. The mindworms are fighting not reproducing, as far as we know. Their attacks of human settlements is in defense of Planet. How do you think they laid their young before we came here? The fungal towers are possibly something to do with reprodution. We do know for certain that all the native life is somehow joined mentally with the mind that is the planet itsself. I think to say that the fungus is the worms natural habitat is to say that your scalp is your natural habitat.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old February 7, 2003, 08:37   #63
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

This is not in any way fictional speculation, but established fact. Examine the tomes of reports gathered by our scientists and the Gaians on this matter (OOC: the appendix to the SMAC manual).
Old February 7, 2003, 08:45   #64
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

My copy of SMAC didn't come with a manual. I'll have to take your word for it. I'd be interested to know more about these facinating creatures.

-Jam
Old February 7, 2003, 08:46   #65
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

I'll dig my copy out tommorow and list some of the more important stuff in the appendix (it's almost midnight over here, and I need to get some sleep).
Old February 7, 2003, 08:57   #66
Jamski
Deity

I keep forgetting the time lag. I'm just sitting down after lunch. Sleep well.

-Jam
Old February 7, 2003, 09:16   #67
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 10:48
Re: worms and our standing orders...

1) We know the worms "want" (insofar as they can want a thing) to, at the least, use our neural tissue as a breeding ground. This equates to wanting to attack us, since the process is nigh-unimaginably gruesome and extremely lethal.

2) We know the worms WILL attack. They may hang around and destroy some stuff, perhaps, and they may (rarely) go after some other faction... but once we see them on the map, we know they won't rest until they kill all of us or are themselves destroyed.

I believe 2 is a perfectly good reason to destroy (or capture, if possible) any non-faction-controlled mind worm boils that we detect. It is a matter of self-defense, because they will attack us.

Part of the reason I proposed the "park" idea was to set aside an area where the worms (and other native lifeforms) could go about their business without being disturbed and hopefully without forming those on-map stacks that we have to defend ourselves against. Any of the myriad fungal patches outside our immediate territory would do for that, but this one would also give our scientists and empaths and such a chance to study the native mind and lifeforms up close... perhaps such study could lead to a resolution of the "misunderstanding" (and, perhaps, it can be resolved, albeit not at all easily) ... until such a time, however, on-map mind worm boils have to be treated as if they were sworn enemies doing their level best to kill us.
Old February 7, 2003, 09:23   #68
Kirov
Prince

Local Time: 17:48
I think that National Park is a great idea. Methinks tho that under FM we can't send an empath rover there without making 2 000 of our citizens unhappy...

Anyway, great idea, Cedayon
Old February 7, 2003, 20:42   #69
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Methinks tho that under FM we can't send an empath rover there without making 2 000 of our citizens unhappy...
As long as it's in our territory (which, AFAIK, it all is), there'll be no problem.
Old February 10, 2003, 03:40   #70
Jamski
Deity

Well, reguardless of what SE choices we make, sending an empath rover there will make this citizen unhappy. Nature park - YES ! Mindworm farm - NO !

-Jam
Old February 10, 2003, 03:44   #71
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Will it? It's in our territory, IIRC. Nobody's going to be unhappy if we send troops over there, especially if they get a cut of the planetpearls on top of their regular pay.
Old February 10, 2003, 04:16   #72
Jamski
Deity

It doesn't matter if I get all of the planetpearls. I'll only support this park if the worms within it are protected. That means that the park has set boundaries, and all worms within these limits may not be attacked in any circumstances. Worms leaving the park must, sadly, do so at their own risk. If this is the case, then I'll vote YEA to this park proposal. If it's just to be another money making scheme, then I'm voting NAY. Clear as that. You won't persuade me otherwise GT.

-Jam
Old February 10, 2003, 04:19   #73
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Oh, sorry, I misread your post. I thought you said citizens in general, rather than referring to yourself.
Old February 10, 2003, 04:21   #74
Jamski
Deity

I always refer to myself. I'm _that_ important

Are we going to have a vote on this, before the discussion thread falls off the bottom ? Hmm ?

-Jam
Old February 10, 2003, 04:23   #75
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Ask Cedayon, he's the one who proposed it.
Old February 10, 2003, 04:38   #76
Jamski
Deity

Well, hopefully he's still interested in his thread...

-Jam
Old February 10, 2003, 12:39   #77
Cedayon
King

I was waiting for some actual discussion on the proposal

Anyway:
Are the borders I proposed at the start of this thread acceptable? I don't want to poll the very large number of possible combinations

Here's what I'm thinking of for the poll:

Question:
"Shall we declare this area a National Park?"
Answers:
-"Yes, and let us not even move units through it."
-"Yes, and let us only move through it when necessary, not for mindworm hunting."
-"Yes, and let us regularly hunt mindworms there."
-"No, there is no need for such a declaration."

Are these acceptable options?

If no one says no in approximately a day I'll post the poll
Old February 11, 2003, 02:15   #78
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

I don't see much of a problem with those options, although i have to ask how you're going to decide which to use - most votes? Run-off? What?
Old February 11, 2003, 09:12   #79
Cedayon
King

I was thinking of this: If one option gets 50%+1 or more of the vote, it's chosen. If no such majority exists, then a run-off between the top two, because a vote for (say) the third is not necessarily a vote for the first or second (or vice versa).

That could be something of a problem, which is why I was asking about the poll options.

In about 4 hours I'll post the poll.
Old February 11, 2003, 13:08   #80
Cedayon
King

poll posted here