Old February 6, 2003, 00:49   #1
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
SimCity: When does one upgrade the zoning to dense?
OK, so I have a city of about 50K people. And there are some more or less high-rise buildings. They are all located on medium density zoning. (See the attachment.) Question: is it time to upgrade the zoning yet? I mean, I did so for a couple of blocks, but they didn't change in the slightest. And after all, if that does not give anything now, I would rather spend my cash on something else. Like more education, or another solar plant for electricity for export, or something.

EDIT: Yeah... Forgot to say that this is for simcity 4.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pittsbourgh.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	36084  
Spore page
Old February 6, 2003, 01:47   #2
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 08:49
Hmmm, I'm nowhere near the ultimate authority on this, but in my game, by 50k, I could put Dense Residential and it would almost surely change. Heck, I even zoned a bunch of Dense Residential in a 20k city (of course, it's a "Commuter City" in a small square, so it's kinda necessary, but still...).

That is, as long as there was still a demand for housing general.

I think this probably won't help you at all, but hey... I tried.
Old February 6, 2003, 09:49   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 11:49
The first step, of course, is to look at your RCI ratings to see if there is any need for higher density. What will generate that need are things such as low crime, high education, low pollution, lower tax rates, etc.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old February 6, 2003, 10:33   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 16:49
Yes it'll only pop if the RCI shows very strong demand and your dense zone is located in an area which has high enough land value and desirablility factors to make the cost of building tall pay for itself. Sims would rather spread out than up most of the time.
Old February 6, 2003, 12:49   #5
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 17:49
Haven't got that far yet, but I've read on the official board, there's a lot of people talking (complaining) about the extreme requirements for high density buildings...
Old February 6, 2003, 13:15   #6
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Ah, yes, you are correct, of course. I forgot about the detailed RCI demand graph... Yes, that would come in useful when trying to determine what kind of density the sims require. The problem now is only that there is strong demand for low-level residency, yet whenever I zone more R areas, only wealthy sims move in... Time to lower those taxes. *sigh*
Spore page
Old February 6, 2003, 14:38   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:49
I thought the RCI graph only showed the wealth level, not the density level.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 6, 2003, 14:43   #8
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

If you've got plenty of wealthy folks built up in your city, it might be time to rethink your city's future. That is, if rich folk are flocking to any new R zones, you must already have lots of good jobs and environment for them. Given that, I'd create low-end jobs in another region and begin to phase out dirty industries entirely (and the low-wealth folks who would work there).

However, if you really want low-wealth residents, you'll likely to have to zone dirty industry more than your left over space might allow.

Old February 6, 2003, 14:45   #9
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Osweld:

It also indicates the kind of industry desired, which can serve as a very good clue for zoning. Vice-versa by looking at the wealth of the residents desired.

Old February 6, 2003, 15:12   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

If you really want lots of low-wealth housing, put high density housing sites right next to an industrial zone. You can be sure the moneybags will stay well away
Old February 6, 2003, 19:04   #11
vovan
Emperor

Thanks, yin! Indeed, how could I forget the thousands of dirty industry jobs left over in the neighboring city? My original intent was for that city to be pure industry, and at the time I had a lot of poor sims in my bedroom communities. That worked quite well, and the industrial city has about 20k industry jobs, and was making over 10k a month. Now, I have totally forgotten about that, and was wondering why oh why there was such a large demand for the housing for the poor. It all makes sense now. I will go back to that city and either gradually replace the low-end industry with high-tech, or build housing for the poor - they won't care for pollution, and lack of services any way.
Spore page
Old February 12, 2003, 12:32   #12
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
Upgrade from low to medium once you've covered the entire map. Do it slowly to allow for growth. Start in the middle and work outwards. Once your city is all Med, then repeat with High Density. I guess it depends on the type of city you have and the amount of demand. If stuff doesn't change right away, try upgrading the commercial and industrial zones that the sims go to. This increased demand will eventually cause the residential to upgrade.
Old February 14, 2003, 08:15   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

I've had no problems starting everything as medium but heavy density is starting to cause grief juggling schools and hospitals with overlapping radii to keep supply and demand in balance.
Old February 14, 2003, 11:34   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
It's a waste of money early on because everything starts as light density no matter what. When you get to 10k people, your zones only have a 1% chance of becoming bigger than low density. The other problem is that if you concentrate too many people too soon, they will cause traffic problems because they all take the same routes to work, etc.

Even Maxis spells this out clearly in the strategy guide. Build out first... then up.
Old February 14, 2003, 12:13   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 15:49
You can get medium density growth with ~3 thousand population.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 14, 2003, 12:16   #16
Grumbold
Emperor

Didn't have a problem with starting medium at all (its money you're going to spend sooner or later unless you really want low density zones.) Each set of new zones were all created close to each other so heavy cross traffic didn't happen, the new sims just got jobs in the new offices and factories.

I'm using one of the big zones so painting it all low density before going up would have been tedious and not very sensible. I wanted as many people as possible within the max radii of my two initial schools. Things upgraded smoothly to medium at about 20k pop and dense from about 45k upward. The only trouble I have at present (95k) is that when I load the region each time it seems to recalculate who uses which school etc, so some will suddenly have 1000 students and go on strike while the ones next door only have 200. Before exiting last time they were all stable and fully funded at 600 each....