Old February 6, 2003, 18:50   #31
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Canada's a far nicer place to live than America (trust me, I lived in both). You get all the American stuff but it's screened through a giant filter to edit out the crap.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old February 6, 2003, 19:33   #32
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 11:51
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Yet another reason to invade Canada:

5) Thier current PM is prone to more spectacular "Bushisms" that Bush himself.
Witness:
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - Prime Minister Jean Chrétien

This obviously proves that they are trying to upstage us on the international scene and must be stopped.
Please. He was spouting that sort of crap since 1993. Bush is ripping off his bit, not the other way round.

You can't even avoid copying us.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 6, 2003, 21:01   #33
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 09:51
Quote:
Originally posted by cinch
Ha! The joke's on you! The biggest oil sands in Alberta will "dry up" before you hit Red Deer!

Sure, we've technically got some of the biggest oil areas in the world, but when it takes you 1/3 of a barrel to extract 1 full barrel from the oil-mud-sludge, you know you're not gonna be running a profit for long.
The oil reserve figures after taking into account bitumen extraction are still well above even Saudi Arabia's reserves by a good margin, and they're still making more discoveries.
Old February 6, 2003, 21:07   #34
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

There's 1.7 trillion barrels of bitumen known to exist in the Alberta oil sands as of 2002, and using current technology that will give about 300 billion barrels of oil from Alberta's oilsands alone. That number is expected to go up more once the technology matures and the process is more efficient, not to mention they're making new oil sands discoveries all the time.

For comparison's sake, Saudi Arabia's entire oil reserves as of 1999 (latest I could find) is 263B barrels.
Old February 6, 2003, 21:12   #35
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
For comparison's sake, Saudi Arabia's entire oil reserves as of 1999 (latest I could find) is 263B barrels.
2001: 261.8 BB
Old February 6, 2003, 21:16   #36
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:51
Bitumen is just young organics. Bury it in the ground and let it stew for a million or so years and all that bitumen will be ready to be turned into high quality petrol.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 6, 2003, 21:17   #37
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 10:51
I respect the Canadians. When Nixon was fanning the flames of the US "Generation Gap" for political gain, the Canadian leader of the time solved his by marrying a coed.

Is that cool or what?!

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old February 6, 2003, 21:20   #38
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:51
When I'm an old geezer I'd love to piss away all of my money romping with a coed.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 6, 2003, 22:03   #39
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

The Canadians would probably even support our invasion of them! What a grand idea!
Old February 6, 2003, 22:03   #40
Wezil
Deity

That's better. A good natured taunting is no problem. In fact, it is part of being Canadian.

Drake - Lumber is a big one. There is a four letter word for it - 'wood'. It is really frustrating being accused of 'dumping' cheap wood when the simple reality is that we have a f*** of a lot of trees and wood is cheaper here. Strange you (the US) don't want to apply similar trade duties on say..... fresh water? I accept that your position is contrary to US policy however. Like most issues the US is not a monolith.

Ozz- Good plan. I think Alaska would fit nicely into our little Confederation. Has anyone asked them nicely so as to avoid the invasion part? You know, it is a long way to go and all, and we can't really trust BC to accomplish the task by themselves.....

obiwan and Frogger - Yeah, Chretien. *sigh* I did list our governments as a thing we can be ashamed of and Jean Chretien is a dazzling example of stupidity. I wonder, do Aussies feel the same about Howard? I'm not trying to be nasty but he does look a little Mr. Magoo-ish, no?

Asher - Yep, Alberta is chock-a-block with the stuff. Can't wait till we here in Ontario get our hands on it! (Aside - Watch this Yanks. ) Perhaps a reborn NEP is in order?

Cavebear - Trudeau did have flair. I wasn't a big fan of his policies but he did give us the NEP so he couldn't have been all bad.
Old February 6, 2003, 22:14   #41
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Yet another reason to invade Canada:

5) Thier current PM is prone to more spectacular "Bushisms" that Bush himself.
Witness:
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." - Prime Minister Jean Chrétien

This obviously proves that they are trying to upstage us on the international scene and must be stopped.

Prepare the moose!
Old February 6, 2003, 22:16   #42
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
During both of the real wars we fought, you were the British. The land you are on now was called British North America. And you accumulated a 0-1-1 record with the British.
Where does a scorched capitol fit into those numbers?
Old February 6, 2003, 22:54   #43
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
and we can't really trust BC to accomplish the task by themselves.....
Wezil, I guess we're all wacked out on weed, eh?

Only the Southern British Columbians, ie Vancouverites. You don't want to mess with the northerners. They're the ones who ship all the lumber, and still make a profit despite the duties.

All the pansy Vancouverites would go home rather than face the cold of Alaska. Even in the summer.

notyoueither-

That's a draw. We burn their capital, they burn York. Washington = York.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; February 6, 2003 at 23:29.
Old February 6, 2003, 23:01   #44
Wezil
Deity

Weed?

They have that in BC?

Well that does explain a few things. Does that make the Premier a dissenter? I hear he likes the booze?
Old February 6, 2003, 23:08   #45
GePap
Emperor

Visit Canada:

It's the US without Americans

"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 6, 2003, 23:11   #46
Ozz
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Wezil
Ozz- Good plan. I think Alaska would fit nicely into our little Confederation. Has anyone asked them nicely so as to avoid the invasion part? You know, it is a long way to go and all, and we can't really trust BC to accomplish the task by themselves.....
We'll just annex them, by bribing them silly with what
they don't got, Women, health care and BC Gold.
(I believe it was legal there at one time)

A quick referendum and presto, a new province.

They got a lot more in common with both southern
and northern BC than the rest of the States.
Old February 6, 2003, 23:20   #47
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 23:51
Quote:
Witness:

It got even better yesterday when he was talking about new money for healthcare. The provincial governments say that this "new" money is actually "old" money that was promised years ago but never delivered. This is what JC had to say about the complaint:

"They say that the money that we had promised three years ago to be new money this year is no more new money. We have not paid it yet and it's old new money versus new new monies. For me, new money is new money if paying in $5 or $10, it's the same money."
Old February 6, 2003, 23:23   #48
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
*sigh*

Sorry Yanks, I tried.

Sadly there are Canadians here (usually NDP'ers or hard left Libs) that take great sport in bashing the US. Sadly they fail to realize they would be waving their flags in the dark and cold if the US turned their collective backs on us. Unfortunately these types fail to recognize their own self interest.

What is even worse is the trotting out of 200 year old battles as 'proof' of some sort of superiority. How would we fare today?? Geez, let's not even think about it.

I will remain a Canadian proud of our accomplishments (we have made a rather nasty land inhabitable) and shameful of our failures (our governments), but I don't feel the need to bash the US to feel superior.

The US is a great country but we can agree to disagree. This doesn't make us foes, simply neighbours.
I'd offer you some toilet paper to wipe your nose, but you conservative types brown-nose the US so much that we've run out of paper.
Old February 6, 2003, 23:29   #49
Wezil
Deity

lol, 'conservative type'

all right i guess. i've been called worse
Old February 6, 2003, 23:32   #50
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
you conservative types brown-nose the US so much that we've run out of paper.
Tingkai-
First time in my life I've been called a Liberal.
Old February 6, 2003, 23:51   #51
Wezil
Deity

How many Canadians post here now? I used to start Canadian Politics threads ages ago, before 'the incident'. Might be useful to sort out who is who...
Old February 6, 2003, 23:54   #52
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
"They say that the money that we had promised three years ago to be new money this year is no more new money. We have not paid it yet and it's old new money versus new new monies. For me, new money is new money if paying in $5 or $10, it's the same money."
He's a damn genius.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 7, 2003, 00:01   #53
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
How many Canadians post here now? I used to start Canadian Politics threads ages ago, before 'the incident'. Might be useful to sort out who is who...
The incident?
Old February 7, 2003, 00:02   #54
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
notyoueither-

That's a draw. We burn their capital, they burn York. Washington = York.
Shhh! Edit that, quick! Most of them wouldn't have a clue if we didn't tell them.
Old February 7, 2003, 00:54   #55
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
That's a tie too. York for Washington.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 7, 2003, 00:56   #56
notyoueither
Deity

Yeah, but can you find York on a map?
Old February 7, 2003, 00:58   #57
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yes, it's where Toronto, Ontario is now .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old February 7, 2003, 01:00   #58
notyoueither
Deity

Damn that Google!

Anyways, s'OK. From where I sit it might be good if you burned it again.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:01   #59
Imran Siddiqui
staff

I don't need Google .

And Toronto wasn't too, too bad. At the very least I'd spare the Hockey Hall of Fame .
Old February 7, 2003, 01:09   #60
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
That's a tie too. York for Washington.
Nah, we win this one. The Americans only burned down a provincial capital. We burned down your national capital. We also took Detroit so that gives the Brit/Cdns a 2-1 victory.