View Poll Results: Mr. President, do you include the use of this microwave device in all contingencies?
Yes. It would show that we can't be blackmailed by nukes 7 70.00%
No. Even risking 20 million dead and limited nuclear exchange would be better. 1 10.00%
NKers don't eat bananas because it would make Kim Jong Il jealous 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 7, 2003, 00:52   #1
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 11:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Tesla Dilemma
Congratulations, Mr. President!

Over the weekend you were sworn in as POTUS. Now on Monday it's time to receive your "Secrets Briefing". This is where George Tenet, the Director of the CIA, tells you about the deepest darkest secrets of the US Government.

George tells you that there are two threats that are rated the most dangerous to the nation: North Korea and OBL. He describes each, but stresses North Korea as the most dangerous. OBL has blown up a couple of embassies and detonated a bomb in the World Trade Center, but hasn't proven the capability for mass death. North Korea is thought to have enough fissile material for two nuclear warheads and has 1 million troops facing you along the Korean DMZ. And NK is unpredictable.

George turns the briefing over to Henry Shelton, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who tells you about the military capabilities of the US Government. He also goes through the experimental projects, such as the flying saucers being tested by Lockheed-Martin Skunkworks.

Henry ends his part of the briefing by describing a microwave technology which allows the military to lock onto a particular metal that is used in all conventional arms and heats it to point where all the arms are rendered inoperable. Just point it in the right direction. The thing about this technology is that it's almost trivial to implement by any country. Just that nobody has ever researched it, except us and the Russians.

Fast forward to the year 2003. North Korea is getting a little ornery. 10 million people may starve with the status quo and the leadership is threatening to become a nuclear state, destroying 50 years of nuclear non-proliferation work. The question then becomes: Do you plan your military and diplomatic activities with regard to North Korea with this microwave device as part of the arsenal? That is, would you plan to use it, if necessary?

If you do, then you will be able to defeat the NKs rather easily--very minimal loss on both sides. You will therefore be more aggressive in your diplomacy. However, most other countries will then see how effective and easy this technology is, causing havock for the current world order.

If you don't, you will subject the American people and the world to a combination of nuclear and conventional blackmail that might not be effective in the end.

What do you do?

The parameters in the following primer can be used to help form your opinion...

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/new.../aw1004dir.xml
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; February 7, 2003 at 15:52.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:01   #2
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 15:52
Improve relations with North Korea, remove any sanctions on them, and withdraw troops and military aid from South Korea.

If push came to shove, of course I would use it as a means to safeguard the US from ICBMs. Anything else would be wrong.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:03   #3
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:52
Wow, good answer David!
Old February 7, 2003, 01:04   #4
DanS
Deity

Just choose the banana option and stay out of the thread if you're not interested in the hypothetical.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 7, 2003, 01:07   #5
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I'm sure you know what you can do with your banana...

Plus, I did participate. David's answer is exactly what I'd do. That's scary though
Old February 7, 2003, 01:07   #6
David Floyd
Emperor

Fine. In this restricted hypothetical, yes, I would use the device to save lives.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:10   #7
DanS
Deity

OK, but realize that having this device in your active arsenal will necessarily make you more aggressive diplomatically, since you know that the risks to you are lower than NK--and everybody else--believes them to be.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:10   #8
korn469
Emperor

DanS

since nobody has research this technology wouldn't the US have an oppertunity to use it in a preemptive attack against the entire world? telsa first then smart bombs and troops next?

i'd empose pax americana across the entire world
Old February 7, 2003, 01:12   #9
David Floyd
Emperor

They would not make me more aggressive any more than a working SDI system would.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:12   #10
DanS
Deity

Yes, korn469. But the metal that this device targets also is used in manufacturing machinery.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:16   #11
DanS
Deity

As an aside, before the discussion gets started in earnest, George Bush actually did receive this secrets briefing, and the threats were laid out to him as I described. However, the microwave device is hypothetical.

The reason why I call it a Tesla dilemma is because Tesla is the father of microwave energy transmission (and AC electricity, etc.). He's also the father of the death ray, and actually described how somebody could split the Earth in two with a relatively simple device.

Also, it's no secret that the most devestating attack on the US is probably a suitcase EMP device that wouldn't kill a soul, but would knock out all electronics (and erase all hard drives and backupt tapes) in a large radius.

Last edited by DanS; February 7, 2003 at 01:28.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:18   #12
David Floyd
Emperor

Yeah, it had to do with sound and gravity waves, right?
Old February 7, 2003, 01:18   #13
DanS
Deity

David: The thing with SDI is that NK has 800k soldiers along the DMZ. SDI wouldn't guard against the artillery, so you would not be aggressive.

Re the splitting the Earth in two, he described a ground pounder running on a particular frequency (1/3 Hz?).
Old February 7, 2003, 01:20   #14
David Floyd
Emperor

No, I wouldn't care about the DMZ because I wouldn't be in Korea.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:22   #15
korn469
Emperor

DanS

I use it on all of the noncompliant states, plus france just for the hell of it, then i get enough panzy states to pass a non-proliferation on tesla production and any states that attempt to build them preempted
Old February 7, 2003, 01:24   #16
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

splitting the Earth in two! cool!
Old February 7, 2003, 01:24   #17
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
Quote:
If you do, then you will be able to defeat the NKs rather easily--very minimal loss on both sides. You will therefore be more aggressive in your diplomacy. However, most other countries will then see how effective and easy this technology is, causing havock for the current world order.
rearming our troops with polymer/ceramic rifles, which would be immune to the microwave weapon
Old February 7, 2003, 01:25   #18
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:52
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
The reason why I call it a Tesla dilemma is because Tesla is the father of microwave energy transmission (and AC electricity, etc.). He's also the father of the death ray, and actually described how somebody could split the Earth in two with a relatively simple device.
He's a bit of a nut.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:30   #19
DanS
Deity

He was a raving lunatic! However, AC electricity and microwave energy transmission are two of the greatest scientific discoveries ever.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:42   #20
DanS
Deity

rearming our troops with polymer/ceramic rifles, which would be immune to the microwave weapon

Good thought. Except it would obsolete your entire existing assets almost instantly. And it's simple enough that non-state actors such as OBL could reverse engineer it.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:48   #21
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yeah, but you could destroy the other side's relatively easily with HARM munitions, which not everyone has. Therefore you still have military superiority.

And even if the HARM thing doesn't work out, I can think of worse things than a world which lacks the ability to wage war.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 7, 2003, 02:02   #22
DanS
Deity

It wouldn't take long for these items to work. Seconds.

I seriously doubt HARM munitions would have time to destroy these items after activation.
Old February 7, 2003, 02:10   #23
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

But as you previously stated, it has to be pointing the right direction. On top of that, I can't imagine the range of these weapons to be that great.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 7, 2003, 02:14   #24
DanS
Deity

True on both accounts. But the damage would already be done...
Old February 7, 2003, 08:22   #25
axi
Prince

Local Time: 18:52
This microwave thingie of yours has great problems:

1. Target selection? Which metal would that be? Iron? Nickel? Chromium? Titanium? Vanadium? Molybdenum? And who says that ALL military equipment and that ONLY military equipment have that element in their synthesis? To my knowledge, even when it concerns rare alloy elements, their use is widespread.

2. Area coverage? By what means could you deliver the needed amounts of microwave radiation over an entire country? Would this be some ultra-bomb, or would this be carried out via antennae?

3. Power? If the goal is to heat up the equipment until it becomes inoperable, then iron and nickel alloys would have to be heated to the point that all working surfaces of said equipment would be welded together (seizure). This happens in temperatures above 500-600 C. To achieve this for the several thousand tons of equipment, you would need a monstrous amount of energy. If the plan is to locally heat up just the surface areas, then the power needed is not so great, but how do you do that from a distance and with the required accuracy?

You hypothetical case is so full of holes, it isn't funny any more.
Old February 7, 2003, 08:31   #26
axi
Prince

Local Time: 18:52
Btw, Jack London has once written a short story about a scientist who invented the kill-all-weapons ray. It created sparks which could set gunpowder off anytime, from any distance and despite any shielding. He used it to disarm all nations and impose a world order of peace.

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/London/W...ong/enemy.html
Old February 7, 2003, 14:50   #27
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

A question for the discussion moderator (just read the intro thread, not all the comments after, so a thousand pardons if this question has already been asked):

* What is the range of the device? Is it possible to mount them on an orbital satellite platform?

-=Vel=-
(as Vel begins devising his answer to the dilemma)
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 7, 2003, 14:57   #28
DanS
Deity

* What is the range of the device? Is it possible to mount them on an orbital satellite platform?

Let's say 100 miles. As such, no they would not be able to be mounted on an orbital platform, but yes they could be mounted in international waters...
Old February 7, 2003, 14:59   #29
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'd use the device. Then we could go back to hacking each other to pieces rather than shooting each other full of holes.
Old February 7, 2003, 15:17   #30
DanS
Deity

Here's some background information on the high powered microwave devices being readied for use. The hypothetical in this thread rests on being able to do this with other materials, not just those necessary for electronics...

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/new.../aw1004dir.xml

You can use the parameters in the article as additional information to help you form your opinion.

Last edited by DanS; February 7, 2003 at 15:32.