View Poll Results: Mr. President, do you include the use of this microwave device in all contingencies?
Yes. It would show that we can't be blackmailed by nukes 7 70.00%
No. Even risking 20 million dead and limited nuclear exchange would be better. 1 10.00%
NKers don't eat bananas because it would make Kim Jong Il jealous 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 7, 2003, 15:24   #31
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 15:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Axi....get into the spirit, will you! These exercises CANNOT be studies in realism, and were never meant to be. They're designed to make you stretch your imagination, not attempt to circumvent with nit-pickery!

-=Vel=-
(still mulling my answer over)
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 7, 2003, 15:35   #32
Sandman
King

Local Time: 16:52
I'd invest heavily in submarines. They'll be immune to microwaves right?
Old February 7, 2003, 15:51   #33
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

When determining how best to make use of the microwave device, one point remained always at the forefront of my mind, and that was “ease of replication.” Given that the device was easily reverse-engineered, whoever made first use of it would have an extremely narrow “window of opportunity,” realistically amounting to one, perhaps two “shots” before the gig was up. Therefore, it becomes of paramount importance to make it really count for something.

Step One: Play for time. Using diplomatic channels, keep Kim on the line, doling out just enough food and money to keep him reined in, and privately, fully fund the UN’s relief effort for the citizenry there.

Step Two: Preparation: While stalling for time, began manufacture of weapons constructed to be immune to the effects of the device, starting with light arms and munitions, and working up from there. The goal is NOT to fully rearm the US, but to get a head start on that process. More importantly, begin to manufacture gears and other machine elements that would be impacted by using this device over populated industrial areas (I am assuming that the entire machine would not need to be replaced, just the innards, but of course, we would test this extensively at our secret lab in….well, I can’t tell you….it’s a secret) Meanwhile, make sure the devices were quietly passed to every operational theater we’ve got, and create a new arm of the air force, which sees these devices mounted on entire squadrons of planes. Timeframe: 4-6 months, working round the clock if necessary.

Step Three: Positioning: Make a list of every nation on the planet that rules over its people by suppressing their liberties. As more of our forces gain access to “the stick” as we’d affectionately call it, shuffle them around the map and into position.

Step Four: Revelation – When we had everybody in position, give the dictators and tyrants of the world 24 hours to step down, or announce that we will force them down. Four hours later….ba-da-bing.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 7, 2003, 16:37   #34
Curiosity
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
The reason why I call it a Tesla dilemma is because Tesla is the father of microwave energy transmission (and AC electricity, etc.). He's also the father of the death ray, and actually described how somebody could split the Earth in two with a relatively simple device.
Uh, details? I presume this would be a pretty *large* simple device...
Old February 7, 2003, 16:43   #35
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
Just put a bunch of these up in South Korea:

Old February 7, 2003, 16:43   #36
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 11:52
No, as I remember it, in fact the size wasn't really the most challenging item. Rather, it was pounding the ground at precisely the correct frequency.

Edit: Here's some background.

http://www.room23.org/room23_view_detail.php?ID=1252
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 7, 2003, 17:26   #37
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
David: The thing with SDI is that NK has 800k soldiers along the DMZ. SDI wouldn't guard against the artillery, so you would not be aggressive.

Re the splitting the Earth in two, he described a ground pounder running on a particular frequency (1/3 Hz?).
That's dubious, to say the least.
The Earth is held together pretty solidly, and to break it in two would require a hellish amount of energy.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 7, 2003, 17:31   #38
KrazyHorse
Deity

Dan, it doesn't matter how precisely you get the resonant frequency; even ignoring all the damping effects (dirt isn't exactly perfectly eleastic) you've still got to dump in a huge amount of power in order to see any effects. Now take into account the fact that as soon as the earth begins to split, your freq generator is no good any more and you begin to see the difficulties. It would be a lot easier to build 10 000 high-yield high-fallout nukes and wipe everybody out that way.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 7, 2003, 17:32   #39
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Frogger: I wouldn't be surprised if it were untrue. He said a lot of things that were way out there.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 7, 2003, 17:33   #40
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:52
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay
Just put a bunch of these up in South Korea:

But they are a Soviet device!

We need to put up a row of Prism towers instead.
Old February 7, 2003, 18:09   #41
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc

But they are a Soviet device!

We need to put up a row of Prism towers instead.
Good 'ole pill boxes and turrets for me... an occaional guard tower, of course, as well